PDA

View Full Version : BH-423/363, Good, Bad, or just not so Ugly...?

Custom Search

Hansoon
10-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Having our first experiences with the BH-363/423 series and I basically like the machines. (Yes, this is an "old" generation but we are Indys and always "behind") We would like to upgrade several of our rentals with it which are now BH-350's and (BIG LOL) Di-450's.

Question: Are there any issues I should know with these machines? Any hints? Any do's or don'ts?

Thanks in advance for your input guys.

Hans

Kidaver
10-14-2014, 08:53 PM
If you have customers who do a lot of large volume scanning there are a few mods and part updates on the DF you should do. Washers, front and rear lever assy in the feed system, checking the tension on the reading motor, and replacing one of the flag sensors that gets worn down or you'll get a lot of 66-xx(I think that's the jam code). If you don't you'll have issues. Other than that I've not had any issues with the machines we have in the field. They are pretty good solid b/w boxes.

Edit: There is one really bad thing about this box. When you go to do a PM and replace developer, bring a glove cuz those gears on that dev unit will tear your fingers right the feth up!

blackcat4866
10-14-2014, 11:37 PM
If you're seeing paper skew check the registration roller bushings. The grease gets very thick, and the drive side bushings (rear) will oval out. =^..^=

wseyller
10-15-2014, 12:44 AM
The internal finishers are crap. Otherwise very good model. I enjoy working on them.

blackcat4866
10-16-2014, 01:56 AM
The internal finishers are crap. Otherwise very good model. I enjoy working on them.

Oh yes! I have a 40MB file of FS-529 modifications. Each internal finisher, depending on the manufacture date will have a varying number of these updates done. The worst is the tray lift gear pack mod. And Konica Minolta is still selling this same crappy finisher after three model number changes. =^..^=

SmellsHot
10-16-2014, 02:28 AM
being able to reserve copy jobs and multitask(send fax while print job is running)on the device compared to the 250's will be a big plus for ur customers. Much faster scanning as well.
As for service: I would agree with the above...internal finishers are indeed shit so don't bother. Doc feed has a few small parts bulletins(nothing major). the fusing units are not the greatest on these. I never seem to get the yield out of them. There is special firmware to turn off replace consumables. I've been able to stretch drums out to 2.5 times there yield.
if ur comfortable with the 250 series these will be easy.
Overall one of my more likable models...

allan
10-16-2014, 09:48 AM
If you can afford B454 its a much better design using a transfer belt same as the color machines. will run past 400K prints by only keeping paper dust cleaner clean.

MFPTech
10-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Having our first experiences with the BH-363/423 series and I basically like the machines. (Yes, this is an "old" generation but we are Indys and always "behind") We would like to upgrade several of our rentals with it which are now BH-350's and (BIG LOL) Di-450's.

Question: Are there any issues I should know with these machines? Any hints? Any do's or don'ts?

Thanks in advance for your input guys.

Hans

Stay away as far as possible from this model or any Konica low-end monochrome model for that matter.
If you enjoy the challenge then have fun with toner / developer sensor issues, fuser thermistors error issues, firmware and long file name issues, etc. Overall, an excellent unit to keep service techs employed!

tech51
10-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Stay away as far as possible from this model or any Konica low-end monochrome model for that matter.
If you enjoy the challenge then have fun with toner / developer sensor issues, fuser thermistors error issues, firmware and long file name issues, etc. Overall, an excellent unit to keep service techs employed!
Have to disagree with you on this one. The BZ423 range is easy to look after. If you were referring to the older 7020 range then yes, they were, at times, pigs of machines.
I have two local authorities using BZ423s and they run well but like any machine, good working practices pay dividends. I have two of these in a meat factory, one is on 1.4 million and still going strong.
I agree with previous posts about the embedded finishers, avoid if possible. Any things better than a Di450!!!

blackcat4866
10-17-2014, 01:09 AM
From FS-529 yesterday:

=^..^=

EarthKmTech
10-17-2014, 12:35 PM

Also disagree.

B423 series is brilliant, I have a lot in my area and other than pm calls to change drums etc I never see them.

All of mine either have no finisher or FS-527.

A machine I would not hesitate to recommend and have recommended to friends without regrets

MFPTech
10-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Sorry, bizhub 360 is what I had in mind....

Hansoon
10-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Great info guys, thanks,

MFPTech, you scared me...... LOL

I never got the 360 nor 362 cause I didn't like them. They 360 was too Konica-ish for my taste if you got what I mean and the 362 I never liked for the missing color scan option. That's why I preferred to continue as long as possible with the BH-350 and even the Di-450. The 363/423 seems to me a very good range and I like that the image unit as well as the fuser unit is the same for the whole series.

Hans

copier addict
10-17-2014, 08:08 PM
The BH423 series are great machines except, as stated earlier, the fusers rarely last full life. They are plagued with the same issue as the previous two series, a ring wearing into the upper roller from the thermistor. We went back to OEM toner and have noticed a little longer life, but still not full

JR2ALTA
10-18-2014, 04:07 AM
The feed units come out THE FRONT...saints be praised.

But yes, the thermostats primary function is still to scratch the UFR

blackcat4866
10-19-2014, 02:34 AM
The feed units come out THE FRONT...saints be praised.

But yes, the thermostats primary function is still to scratch the UFR

Speaking of ... has anyone tried using the Chinese aftermarket heat rollers? I've always thought that I could get another 250K from the fusers if the aftermarket rollers were any good. By the way, the bizhub 500 heat roller claws seem to fit. =^..^=

JR2ALTA
10-19-2014, 03:20 AM
I have not but I wouldn't discourage anyone from demanding just warranty returns for this incompetant crap

Hansoon
10-19-2014, 07:56 AM
I use Katun (I dislike that company for their ignorant after sales support but, anyway....) after market rollers intended for the Di-3510 and they function just as "well" as the original OEM on the BH-350 and later series. Much cheaper than throwing the whole fuser unit into the bin otherwise.

Takes about twenty minutes for a trained technician to replace that UFR. Take care not to loose the carbon tip of the sliding ground terminal which rides at the front of the UFR. Before starting make a picture of the routing of the wires at the front of the unit to get them back in the proper place again later on.

I push with a wooden match (soft wooden stick as not to damage the orange foil. Toothpicks are not soft enough) the little bulb of the thermistor sensor - which sits in the middle of the "cushion" of the thermistor assembly - as much as possible back, so it will not protrude too much casing those rings or scars.

On the BH-350 series I have been able to replace at least 3 times the UFR before the plastic of the fusing unit disintegrates.

BTW: Densi might have a good after market roller too I've heard.

Hans

Mr. Joshua
10-31-2014, 02:51 AM
I work on a lot of these.

Belly finishers suck.

Rebuild the fusers with knockoff UFR. If you can get away with raising the temp +5*C when they're young they last longer.

Drums last much longer than life but replace them before they wear through and arc and you can often get 2:1 drum to developer life.

Beware J99-01 on the 423 only. I often write-off 9901s as user BS when I only see them in the management list and never hear about them. On the 423 though there is an additional sensor to accommodate the extra speed and this can cause 99-01s as well.

Custom Search