PDA

View Full Version : Smells from C352

Custom Search

minimerlin
04-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Has anyone had any problems with this unit giving off an acrid smell that seems to come from the fuser unit. The smell really is quite annoying and the users are complaining about it affecting their breathing. The machine is working properly and is lightly used. The fuser is not overheating and no paper is stuck in it.:(

mikeena
04-28-2008, 08:49 PM
i have not seen this at all but what you could do is to tell the customers to stop breathing.... hahahaha. how old is the fuser unit

minimerlin
04-28-2008, 09:09 PM
The fuser and machine only have 2.8k on them. I think that the smell comes from the yellow parts/guides. We are going to change the fuser as the first action.

Frostwolf
04-29-2008, 03:18 AM
I had a customer complain that her C550 smelled like a hair salon and it was making her sick, never did smell it. I think the tech ended up changing the fusing unit for the ticking noise (yeah I know they suppossed to make that noise, but the customer didn't believe us)

fixthecopier
04-29-2008, 04:04 AM
I get calls all of the time for smells or odors. I never seem to notice anything. Do we as techs get used to the smell of ozone? I kind of like the smell. I wonder if I can get an ozone scented air freshener that is shaped like a copier?

The Otrain
04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
I think the tech ended up changing the fusing unit for the ticking noise (yeah I know they suppossed to make that noise, but the customer didn't believe us)

Never had one smell bad. However, there is a mod kit available from KM to stop the ticking sound. It's a spacer designed for the fuser unit. It's in a bulletin online. I don't exactly remember the number though.

Frostwolf
04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Never had one smell bad. However, there is a mod kit available from KM to stop the ticking sound. It's a spacer designed for the fuser unit. It's in a bulletin online. I don't exactly remember the number though.

Yeah I know. This is just one of those customers. She called four times about the smell before the tech could get there. The last time she said she had to shut the machine down because she couldn't take it anymore. The tech couldn't find it. Then she called back about a noise, tech couldn't find anything. The tech went ahead replaced the fuser, then the next day she called and said her machine was to quiet. (Pounds head on desk). Its a weekly customer that holds the record for most daily calls in a row. And also doesn't understand why KM doesn't consult her on how a machine should work.

Frostwolf
04-30-2008, 12:51 AM
should have kept my mouth shut, she called and I drew the short straw. She wants a total of 8 things fixed first thing tommorow. :eek:

Speedy
04-30-2008, 02:38 AM
We have had some of this on setup in the shop smell like an electrical fire but seems to disapate soon. I have had fuser units on the C451-550-650 have a bearing lock up and the grease comes out and gives a burning smell, but usually this is associated with a grinding sound.

Rene
04-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Got the same problems two weeks ago. I changed the fusing unit and the problem was solved.

Greetings from Austria:)

minimerlin
04-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I changed the fuser unit yesterday and will wait for the customer to complain!

Thanks again.

stacyrf
05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
The smell that you are all referring to is the thermal grease that minolta uses in the fuser. It will eventually burn off but it seems that some fusers have more grease in them than others and it takes longer to burn off. One solution is to take the fuser unit apart and wipe away all the grease that you see on the bearings, grease on the outside of the bearings does no good. The other thing that could be happening is the bearing could be leaking, which would need to be replaced. hope this helps you all

ni311
05-04-2008, 12:02 PM
If you change the fusing unit, you might get one with even more grease :)

DadO
05-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Grease is good. Extra amount of it can't do harm or in ur case she would never buy km again :D

jonw
03-18-2013, 07:57 PM
try changing the paper some cheap recycled stuff can smell really bad on a long run.can only think it's the bleach and stuff they put in it

cheers jon

Hansoon
03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
errrr..., Jon, the original post is almost 5 years old...... ;)

Hans

jonw
03-18-2013, 09:38 PM
LOL still getting used to this :)

jonw
03-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks Hans for some reason i get really old posts on my recent threads...surprised i haven't had any feeds for ubix 100 25 years ago :D

jon

AjitN
03-19-2013, 03:56 AM
try changing the paper some cheap recycled stuff can smell really bad on a long run.can only think it's the bleach and stuff they put in it

cheers jon

I think customer is using acidic paper. some papers are made for offset only, cold operation, when used in our machines smells very bad.
hope this may help.

fixthecopier
03-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Damn, this thing stills smells? Maybe it's the people, I mean come on now, it's been 5 years.

Custom Search