PDA

View Full Version : Where to hold Bizhub when moving it

Custom Search

John Kaufmann
12-06-2014, 06:20 AM
Most (if not all) Bizhub User Guides have this Caution (or something like it) near the front:

When moving this product, always hold it by the locations specified in the User’s Guide or other documents. If the unit falls it may cause severe personal injury. The product may also be damaged or malfunction.
But then AFAICS the User Guides are silent on the issue, and I don't see any "other documents" (including the Service Manual) treating the subject either. Do you know where to look for this info?

laitang
12-06-2014, 08:07 AM
You can refer the installation manual

copier tech
12-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Same as every single copier no matter what manufacturer, by the handles! & not the scanner!

copier addict
12-06-2014, 04:17 PM
They all have handles somewhere. Depending on the model they could be on the front and back, or on the sides.
What model is it? That info would help a lot.

blackcat4866
12-06-2014, 04:36 PM
They all have handles somewhere. Depending on the model they could be on the front and back, or on the sides.
What model is it? That info would help a lot.

Yes, it's going to be model specific.

Obviously a bizhub 25 (at 52.7#) isn't going to be constructed like bizhub PRESS 1052 (at 826.7#, engine only).

emujo
12-06-2014, 05:16 PM
The upper and lower front door hinges are weak also, when our movers strap the MFPs into the truck, they regularly cinch the straps so tight the pins break. Emujo

John Kaufmann
12-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks to all who replied. If I may assemble a composite answer from the replies: All bizhubs (a) have handles, for which the positions (b) are model-specific and (c) can be found in the installation manual (and only there?) - though, with a little experience looking for them, they are not that hard to find.

That said, I wish that information were prominent in the front of each model's Quick Guide or User's Guides or both -- instead of a note saying to refer to the User Guides for (unspecified) handling info (which is not there anyway). It might also be nice if the handles were conspicuously colored as a reminder to use them, instead of color-camouflaged for esthetic reasons.

But at least there is an answer - look in the installation manual - which should at least replace the note in the User's Guide. Thanks to everyone for that.

blackcat4866
12-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Nice summary. The only thing I'd add is that especially with the larger devices, only use these prescribed handles. Other grips, doors, or trays have been know to rip right off when lifting 300# or more. Those handles are also the best way to strap the machine down for delivery. =^..^=

John Kaufmann
12-08-2014, 02:51 AM
... The only thing I'd add is that especially with the larger devices, only use these prescribed handles. Other grips, doors, or trays have been know to rip right off when lifting 300# or more.

Or even just pushing, as opposed to lifting? That's a good point, but your reference to "larger devices" raises an issue that I've been thinking about since seeing the posts in this thread: Within a specific generation (say, C652-C552-C452-C360-C280-C220-C200), the higher end models (C652-C552-C452) weigh roughly 2x as much as the mid-range (C360-C280-C220) and 3x as much as the low end (C200) - in virtually the same floor space. Presumably that's because there is more steel in the higher end models, which (again, presumably) means a stronger frame under the plastic? So does "especially with the larger devices" refer to weight or floor space? Are the heavier machines stronger and/or more resistant to internal damage from office movement?

Considering floor space, it certainly seems true that the handles become even more important with a floor finisher attached... almost to the point that it might make sense to detach the finisher and move it separately?

Those handles are also the best way to strap the machine down for delivery.

That's another good point, but KM don't make it easy to do that.

blackcat4866
12-08-2014, 03:15 AM
Or even just pushing, as opposed to lifting? That's a good point, but your reference to "larger devices" raises an issue that I've been thinking about since seeing the posts in this thread: Within a specific generation (say, C652-C552-C452-C360-C280-C220-C200), the higher end models (C652-C552-C452) weigh roughly 2x as much as the mid-range (C360-C280-C220) and 3x as much as the low end (C200) - in virtually the same floor space. Presumably that's because there is more steel in the higher end models, which (again, presumably) means a stronger frame under the plastic? So does "especially with the larger devices" refer to weight or floor space? Are the heavier machines stronger and/or more resistant to internal damage from office movement?

Yes, pushing and lifting both. In a general sense, there are more and heavier motors, more and heavier drive components, and yes the frame is stronger to support the additional load. That does not necessarily extend to the covers. It got to the point where I insisted on helping the delivery guys strap down the larger devices, so that the covers and trays would arrive intact.

Considering floor space, it certainly seems true that the handles become even more important with a floor finisher attached... almost to the point that it might make sense to detach the finisher and move it separately?

That's another good point, but KM don't make it easy to do that.

Finishers are some of the trickiest devices to transport. There never seems to be a good way grab them, or strap them down. I've had the best results with the standalone finishers in the middle speed range, by using a sturdy box, about 30" x 48" x 12", and laying the finisher on the side that mates with the copier, with the inlet guides hanging over the edge of the box. Also remove the exit trays whenever possible. There is almost always a way in service mode to get the elevator tray to lower, so you can remove it. It's definitely better to detach the finisher from the engine.

The older midrange finishers that hang off the machine were just a PITA to transport. You can't leave them attached, because the wheels and feet get broken off. If you take the finishers off, they don't stand by themselves. You can only lay then awkwardly on the back side. I am very glad we don't see those finishers any more. Most every one was damaged upon arrival. =^..^=

Custom Search