PDA

View Full Version : bizhub 454e logic lockups (FA17, 0X8E1B errors recorded)

Custom Search

blackcat4866
12-12-2014, 03:44 PM
It's been an ongoing thing for a while now. This enduser uses Account Tracking, so no error is seen, the machine just becomes unresponsive. When the machine is re-booted it becomes functional.

Yes I'm aware of G00-J6 firmware which purports to solve this problem on line 27) Even the correct password is entered, the user may not be able to login when Password Only is selected for the Account Track.
It doesn't help.

Additionally, last call the enduser claims that they could login and use the MFP, but print jobs with the correct Account Track password were denied/deleted, until the machine was re-booted.

I've reformated the HDD (physical and logical), and reloaded the Video, Movie, OCR Dictionary, and PDF/A Fonts. I have an MFP board to install today.

The advice I've gotten from various techs that have struggled with CFAxx codes, was that it is firmware related. This machine has had 4 different levels of firmware since installation, none of which seems noticeable more affective than any other.

The power is also a little wonky. I'm getting 1.8vac to 2.8vac ground to neutral. I'm also bringing along a UPS.

Has anyone else come across these symptoms/errors? =^..^=

emujo
12-12-2014, 06:27 PM
After firmware, are you bringing the MFP up to the correct function version level? Also, on several of the e series MFPS exhibiting this problem, MFP board replacement did the trick. Emujo

EarthKmTech
12-12-2014, 11:54 PM
I've not had the FA codes at the same time but i have had MANY e series with the password only account track login failure.

every time I have initialised the machine and formatted the hard drive and setup again and that was the end of it. Do NOT backup the account track data and reinstall it, the error will be transfered back to the machine. You must set them up again manually.

Much like the SSD updates, the firmware appears to prevent the problem from happening but doesn't do anything on a machine with the problem already in my experience.

blackcat4866
12-13-2014, 01:52 AM
The MFP board actually made the problem worse. It was resettable before today. Now it just doesn't accept print jobs with any of the valid Account Track ID's. Additionally the Admin password and CE password have changed to something unknown (not the original one set, or the default). Monday we're calling the hotline.

By the way, the logins for copying is temporarily working.

These error codes with no reference in the manual really bug the shit out of me. I guess us field techs are too stupid to diagnose our own issues, so we need the hotline to read for us. It pisses me off. =^..^=

eric
06-10-2015, 08:49 PM
HELLO blackcat4866
have you find a solution at FA17 code?
because l have the same thing , format the HDD and it's ok for 1 day .
l've called the hotline , they says : change the HDD then the MFPBOARD!
your experiense is welcome

blackcat4866
06-11-2015, 12:21 PM
HELLO blackcat4866
have you find a solution at FA17 code?
because l have the same thing , format the HDD and it's ok for 1 day .
l've called the hotline , they says : change the HDD then the MFPBOARD!
yourexperienseiswelcome

The only thing that I can be fairly certain of is that the HDD and MFPB will not improve your situation. It comes and goes, and all we get is the blank looks from the reps. Sorry I can't be of more help.

At the last conversation there was floated the theory that it was some sort of non-print data locking up the machine. We set up WireShark and ran it for a few days. That data and the times of the lockups was sent to KM. We're still waiting for some sort of intelligent response. =^..^=

EarthKmTech
08-06-2015, 12:02 PM
I have a site with a dozen machines ALL doing this now, all E series. BW 224e-454E & C284e-C454e. Using user authentication.

Many different firmware versions were on them, now all running K5,

I will let you know of any progress made.

Non e 4 series on site, no problems.

c220 + 552BK no problem.

It can simply only be the account tracking/user auth or something over the network, this is the ONLY time we've ever seen this on this scale.

Is your customer using cisco switches ?

blackcat4866
08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Is your customer using cisco switches ?

I don't know the answer to that. One thing that I suggested was to temporarily change the IP address of a couple of these MFP's to see if anything changed operation-wise. I got a flat-out absolutely not. I also suggested turning off the authentication: again absolutely not. I also suggested temporarily leaving one or two MFP's off the network: again absolutely not. There's nothing like cooperation, is there?

Still no word from KM. I'm sure they'll call any day now ...
They said I was the only person having this problem. =^..^=

allan
08-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Did you change the network speed?
Stupid question. Did you use a direct connection to the machine yet?
I would leave it until one of the users get that problem, then setup a laptop with the same login detail to make sure that its not the network that is fishy.

If you test the login from the driver does that work?
If they are using windows server that could be a cause.

EarthKmTech
08-06-2015, 11:12 PM
I would leave it until one of the users get that problem, then setup a laptop with the same login detail to make sure that its not the network that is fishy.

network speed was set away from auto on one machine by the IT guy as a trial, it made no difference.

It is an intermittent fault, exactly as others have experienced. Everything is working perfectly with the drivers and they are the latest versions.

The customer is about to install a brand new server as this one has reached end of life (4 years) so if this issue mysteriously disappears shortly we may never know what was the actual cause.

blackcat4866
08-06-2015, 11:50 PM

First, Thanks for your response allan.

Like EarthKMTech said, it is intermittent and could take days or even two weeks to show it's ugly head. I have always been present after it happened, and a simple restart restores function. Frequently there have been partial lockups, in which copying or printing still functioned, but the opposite function would show the authentication failing. Additionally, sometimes the CE password for service mode and/or the admin password would fail. Usually a reboot restored function, but on three occasions one of these machines had to have a CE password reset with the assistance of the hotline. I don't know if any of this information is useful, but there it is. Personally I think these 454e and 554e machines are on the verge of a brain aneurysm and will just lock up permanently.

Does anybody remember the Mita DC-1656 when it first came out? Perhaps three times a week our new customers would call to say the copies had gone all black. When I checked service mode every single mode setting was at zero, including the lamp intensity. Several months down the line Mita discovered that there was some sort of grounding issue, in which a single static touch from an enduser would wipe the service mode. They send us little plastic bags of those stick on static grounding brushes to stick in 4 or 5 places on the machine. To my great surprise it actually worked. I expect it to be something like that. =^..^=

splblazer91
08-07-2015, 02:06 AM
Ive given up on these codes(fa17, fa14, c301). It has to be a FW issue on all of them but KM cant seem to figure it out.

Mr Spock
08-07-2015, 04:15 AM
The new k5 firmware has worked on several machines for me. However they are not using authentication only account track.

EarthKmTech
08-07-2015, 09:10 AM
checked the machines this afternoon via csrc, K5 did nothing. No less than a dozen FA17's before 830AM on one 454e!

7 others nothing today, 1 x 224e one FA17 once this morning.

It is happening before people even show up for work.

I've had some interesting responses to my escalation. I will do more investigation and report back my findings.

FYI, 1 troubled machine was left off the network for 2 days as a trial in the past, guess what, no FA17's no F..k All. Perfect.

blackcat4866
08-07-2015, 02:08 PM
checked the machines this afternoon via csrc, K5 did nothing. No less than a dozen FA17's before 830AM on one 454e!

I've had some interesting responses to my escalation. I will do more investigation and report back my findings.

FYI, 1 troubled machine was left off the network for 2 days as a trial in the past, guess what, no FA17's no F..k All. Perfect.

That sort-of confirms the network as the source of the lockup, doesn't it? =^..^=

Mr Spock
08-07-2015, 10:16 PM

Did you set the network speed or is it set for auto? I have seen several issues with cisco switches not doing auto correctly and by manual setting these to 100 or 1000 they seem to behave a lot better.

EarthKmTech
08-08-2015, 01:15 AM
Hi,

Yes, locking the network speed was one of the first things we did, its done nothing.

Also, not mentioned already, before we realised the entire site had this problem some machines have had new mfp/ram/hdd/prcb etc and completely blown away and re-setup which made zero difference either. Thats a fair few $$$ gone in the trash there, but, it wasn't me involved at that time.

An interesting conundrum ....

Regarding managed switches randomly dropping port links this is an interesting read...

IPv6 Multicast Listener Discovery excessive traffic from certain NICs (http://packetpushers.net/good-nics-bad-things-blast-ipv6-multicast-listener-discovery-queries/)

blackcat4866
08-11-2015, 11:27 AM
If your local IT is willing, perhaps you could set up a small router with MAC address filtering to block whatever data is confusing the MFP? =^..^=

blackcat4866
09-24-2015, 12:53 PM
I suggested this to my IT person. I don't believe that MAC address filtering would have helped in my situation anyway. With the shared driver on the main server and everything passing through the main server, you aren't really filtering out much of anything. So far we are in year two of this finger pointing festival, with no clear end in sight.

Is there any other way to filter out non-print data? Perhaps it might help to turn off SNMP, of some of the other less essential services? Would the MFP always show Offline? =^..^=

srslyartyg
09-24-2015, 02:44 PM
I had a set of new installs last year do the same exact thing. It came down to a combination of bad NICs in some newly installed PCs and the Network Configuration. You really have to try hard and work as a team with IT Support to narrow it down. It was finally decided that it was the network causing it by doing the same thing you did by leaving an MFP off the network. I went through the same steps of replacing boards and updating firmware.

Good luck, man.

EarthKmTech
04-21-2016, 01:31 AM
E series Fw released this month: GD1-K9

One fix of interest....

14. When receiving a large amount of IPv6 packet, the operation panel does not respond and printing cannot be performed. [ERMNLC1500796009]

Will give it a try at one installation I have that does it regularly.

blackcat4866
04-22-2016, 01:20 AM
Since we shut off sleep mode there are only two machines left that do this occasionally. I'll try the firmware next visit. =^..^=

EarthKmTech
04-22-2016, 02:09 AM
All of mine at this site still do it, but very intermittently.

they can go weeks between and then may do once or twice a day.

The customer is not complaining as its still 1 million % better than it was initially with 15x occurrences a day each machine with end users going postal returning the the mid job (copy or print) rebooted machine assuming it had jammed.

EarthKmTech
08-02-2019, 05:43 PM
3 years later and up to GDL-M1 firmware and this issue is still present on the few remaining e series with no solution to date that works.

8 series are also not immune, though trialling W4 firmware on one that's got the issue bad to see if it makes a difference.

copytechman
08-02-2019, 08:31 PM
E series Fw released this month: GD1-K9

One fix of interest....

14. When receiving a large amount of IPv6 packet, the operation panel does not respond and printing cannot be performed. [ERMNLC1500796009]

Will give it a try at one installation I have that does it regularly.

I'd just disable ipv6 . But thats just me.

Regards!

A.

EarthKmTech
08-02-2019, 11:41 PM
I'd just disable ipv6 . But thats just me.

Regards!

A.

It is disabled.

Custom Search