PDA

View Full Version : Difference between C360 and C280/C220 toner cartridges

Custom Search

John Kaufmann
12-17-2014, 02:54 AM
For the most part, the C360/C280/C220 share consumables as well as accessories. But, while the toner is reputedly the same, the toner bottles for the C360 (TN319-K/Y/M/C, or A11G-130/230/330/430) are different from the toner bottles for the C280/C220 (TN216-K/Y/M/C, or A11G-131/231/331/431). The toners appear to be the same, the bottles the same size and shape, but the bottles are keyed differently. I'm sure there is a reason for that, but I can't think what it would be, and at least one manufacturer of compatible toner cartridges claims to cover both versions with common cartridges -- that is, the cartridges are keyed for both C360 and C280/C220. Is it safe to give them a try? Anyone know what is KM's purpose for keying them differently?

Hansoon
12-17-2014, 03:45 AM
$$$$€€€€$$$$€€€€$$$$€€€€$$$$€€€€$$$$€€€€........?

Hans

allan
12-17-2014, 07:04 AM
If the composition on the side of he box match the toner should be ok to use. If the different models use the same image units or developer tanks then the toner must be the same. like we dont keep TN-321 only TN-512 same price with a little higher yield. only take the chip off. The slot the toners to keep track of what is in he field and running and to charge more for lower yield machines.

EarthKmTech
12-17-2014, 08:57 AM
"Marketing Reasons"

Along with having total control over the prices,

Chipped consumables are often region coded too - to prevent cunning individuals avoiding paying the local price and buying via the internet from 3rd world countries where the prices are set much lower.

If i remember correctly, the hoppers on this series are keyed different for price incompatible marketing areas too, so even if they aren't chipped supplies, the regular joe isnt going to be able to install toners purchased outside of his pricing region.

allan
12-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Yea got some of those out of region chips before.

John Kaufmann
12-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Ah... to summarize (as Hans wrote):

$$$$€€€€$$$$€€€€$$$$€€€€$$$$€€€€$$$$€€€€........?
Thanks to all who replied. I did not want to believe it was about nothing more than pricing strategy, but I'm convinced now. With that in mind...

Any downside to using compatible toners that would reduce our inventory (and, oh, BTW, also cost less per bottle)?

blackcat4866
12-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Ah... to summarize (as Hans wrote):

Thanks to all who replied. I did not want to believe it was about nothing more than pricing strategy, but I'm convinced now. With that in mind...

Any downside to using compatible toners that would reduce our inventory (and, oh, BTW, also cost less per bottle)?
Oh, a few little downsides:

1) poor image quality
2) poor toner yield
3) poor fusing
4) error codes for developer density
5) voiding the machine warranty

You know ... little things like that. =^..^=

allan
12-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Dont do it! unless the stuff is manufactured in USA or Germany.

Custom Search