PDA

View Full Version : KM off-site monitoring

Custom Search

Worqy
12-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Hey.

I'm looking for a way to monitor a KM machine off-site.
Right now we have the Status Notification on but it isn't sufficient.
When, for example, a toner runs out it only messages me that a toner runs out, not which color.

I've read about SNMP, but haven't understood how you configure it and what data you get out from it.
This off-site location is not within the same LAN, so a secure one-way communication is needed.

wseyller
12-28-2014, 08:32 PM
You could use Print Audit Facilities Manager to create alerts to notify you when to ship out toner and other consumables. You can set thresholds so it will notify you by email when for example the toner is at 20%.

You create a site for each customer location. You have to install a small piece of software on a customers server called information collection engine. This software will report all device info to the print audit facilities manager which is a web based management solution. Also meters automatically update on our e-automate software.

It makes used of SNMP info from the printers and copiers. This will work with most any brand/model. You decide which devices you want to mange.

Worqy
12-28-2014, 09:09 PM
This would be just what I need... except installing something on a customers server is not an option.
There is no way some of the bigger customers would allow that due to sensitive data being stored on the servers.

Can a KM machine send SNMP data to a outside-lan server, if I open the right ports in the off-site location?

I'm currently looking into snmp + opennms. Anyone familiar with this setup?

wseyller
12-28-2014, 09:53 PM
You could also install it a any workstation but you would want it to be on 24/7. It just runs as a service and sends the info from the printers to print audit.

Other than that only other thing I can think of is using Konica Minolta's Vcare setup.

Worqy
12-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Yeah, but convincing a client to install a software that sends data outside the "safe environment" is going to be hard. Still looking for another option.

Anyone got any input on the snmp option?

(Possible example: Automated ordering of consumables - OpenNMS (http://www.opennms.org/wiki/Automated_ordering_of_consumables) )

allan
12-29-2014, 08:15 PM
CSRC ! Via HTTP or otherwise. built in to KM machines. We monitor our machines via GPRS.

Phrag
01-05-2015, 04:41 AM
FM Print Audit has a few pdf documents on their site detailing ports, encryption (i think) and a host of other stuff it sends over a network.

Custom Search