PDA

View Full Version : LTR-R stapled folded booklets jam on PRESS 1052

Custom Search

blackcat4866
01-15-2015, 10:52 PM
Yes, this is the machine I got my arm stuck in. It's an FS-532 finisher with SD-510 saddle stitcher.

It jams 1 booklet in 56. It's LTR-R folded stapled, and the first 112 pages pass just fine. The first sign of a problem is a booklet that is folded oddly without staples, but doesn't call a jam. Three or four booklets later another folds oddly but calls a J72-48 jam. The actual jammed paper is in the saddle stitcher eject section. The other 8 pages removed are unmolested.

Once it starts jamming, it will happen much more often. I've got the inclination that it's a magnetizing solenoid, because if I let the machine sit for 1/2 hour I can run another 110 booklets. I suspect that the imaged, fused pages get all the way to the saddle stitcher folding tray, but skew or twist feeding into the tray. The staples miss the paper, and the wadded up booklet is ejected.

I've cleaned the various saddle stitcher rollers numerous times but it hasn't made any difference. The fun thing about the saddle stitcher is you cannot see anything while it's operating. Oh you can see the drive for the rollers, and you can see the knife cycle, but the paper is entirely not-visible in the folding tray. They're running sets of 105 (correction: attempting to run sets of 105). Has anyone seen these jams?
=^..^=

Mick01
01-16-2015, 02:06 AM
Hi,
I had a similar issue on a 1250 with a FS532 with SD510.
After tearing my hair out (which is bad cause I haven't got much left) for a couple of days, I worked out that the paper feeding in from the main body was too far to the front. This was causing (very intermittently) the paper to catch on the side guides in the SD-510. I relevelled the machine and paper deck, adjusted the manual centering of the paper tray (made sure the paper was going through the middle of the machine). Once I had done this the booklets jamming went away.
Hope this helps, this one had me stumped for quite a while.
Also if you are feeding covers from the PI unit, make sure that is set up also.

blackcat4866
01-17-2015, 01:14 AM
Thanks Mick.

My enduser is not going to be much help here. She doesn't try very hard to get the guides up tight, and the paper size often reads 11x9, because the endstop is too loose.

The good news is that the LTR-R paper is being fed primarily from tray #1. If I can convince her to keep the tray forever set to LTR-R maybe I can lock down the side guides in the perfect position. =^..^=

allan
01-17-2015, 05:09 AM
Did you switch of the centering jam function? Switch that on it would drive here crazy and bill here every time you need to go out for that jam code.

blackcat4866
01-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Did you switch of the centering jam function? Switch that on it would drive here crazy and bill here every time you need to go out for that jam code.

I've never heard of this centering jam function but I'll look into it. This enduser is unstable already. I'd hate to be that last straw. =^..^=

allan
01-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Found it

Utility -> Administrator setting -> Expert adjustment -> Mis-centering detection jam setting:)

If the trays are out of adjustment or the skew correction is too much it will cause the machine to jam.

You have to set up the centering first for this to work. But it will go correctly to the finisher.

blackcat4866
01-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Found it

Utility -> Administrator setting -> Expert adjustment -> Mis-centering detection jam setting:)

If the trays are out of adjustment or the skew correction is too much it will cause the machine to jam.

You have to set up the centering first for this to work. But it will go correctly to the finisher.

I think I'd like it better if the machine just popped up an annoying message like: "The paper guides aren't set correctly, dumbass!" =^..^=

allan
01-17-2015, 06:48 PM
hehe, The Japanese are too logical for that.

blackcat4866
01-24-2015, 04:17 PM
The tech rep came by Thursday with some good suggestions.There were a half dozen settings changes to the individual Tray Settings, including some suggestions about proper consistent loading of the paper. There were adjustments to lift plate height and pickup roller lift height. He also showed me why the side guides slip open too far. There is a pinchy mechanism that grips one of the slide rods, and the rod gets scored/nicked in the certain areas consistently. You can interchange the rod with the one next to it for the two trays on the base machine. But on the paper feeder there is only one rod of that length per tray, so it must be replaced. The gouges were deep enough that there wasn't much left of the rod by the time they were filed smooth. Part numbers?:

For the main body trays, 1 wears out per tray:
rod: 56UA 4124 0

For the paper feeder trays, 1 wears out per tray:
rod: A0GD 6013 00

I did it the hard way, for sure. I think you can set the lift-lock, then raise the tray with only a few pages in it. Then the cables will support the lift plate while you're fumbling around underneath it. Remove the front cover to see access holes in the front frame. All the front rods have to be unscrewed to allow enough movement to get one of them out then back in. Each rod has a "D" shaped end, with the flat at the top to prevent it from spinning while you're screwing. It helps to get a finger over the far end of the rod to keep the "D" engaged while snugging it down.
=^..^=

blackcat4866
05-24-2016, 02:06 AM
I found something else recently.

Entirely by accident, I found some pretty severe paper cuts in the stacker rear regulating plate. The picture is poor, but I'll attach if for those that can make sense of it.

My standing theory is that the paper catches in these paper cuts, skewing one or more pages. Once skewed those pages do not move properly for the stapling and folding operations. I used a round Dremel etching bit to smooth out the deep paper cuts, than sanded it the rest of the way smooth. I haven't decided if it would be beneficial to replace the guide or just leave the trimmed up one. It looks fairly unpleasant to get to those regulating plates.

Based on Mick01's suggestion, I positioned the tray #1 paper ~2.5mm toward the rear of the machine, and ran the paper tray size calibration sim. My theory is that the paper will strike the regulating plates is a slightly different place.

Oh, and one more thing: I enabled the curl downward decurl function for tray #1. Flatter paper seems to have greater success entering the stacker tray.

Not that it matters, but I passed 1000 duplex folded stapled LTR-R booklets without a jam or a misfold. We'll know shortly if there's any improvement. =^..^=

blackcat4866
06-15-2016, 01:06 AM
It's better, but not fixed. I think I'll take a shot at the regulating plates. Note that the unaltered regulation plate feature is 15mm at the rear, and 20mm at the front.

I've armored that feature with 26 gauge galvanized steel, and extended it to 24mm. I don't know if there is clearance for the additional length, but it will be simple to trim as needed. The pieces are 10mm x 24mm, with a 135 degree bend at 2mm.

=^..^=

blackcat4866
06-16-2016, 02:00 AM
Easy installation. There's plenty of clearance, the metal pieces could be even larger if it were necessary, but I don't think it is. They contact the anti-static brush, which seems like a good thing.

It doesn't do anything for excessively moist, curly paper, and it didn't think it would. Flipping the paper and setting the decurl setting to Curl Downwards in tray #1 made the paper pass, but the paper is not flat by any stretch of the imagination. Copy environment is 77F, 50% humidity, but the paper was stored in 85F, 80% humidity.

Custom Search