PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bizhub 454e machines Responding to Pings but can't print/scan

Custom Search

mkweick
01-18-2015, 03:56 PM
We have 2 Bizhub 454e's in our network and it seems like every Saturday morning people report they can't print to these two machines. We then diagnose it the same way, it CAN be pinged successfully on both machines but we can't print or scan to it, we can't access the web interface, and our print server says it offline as well.

We have the latest firmware on both machines and we have removed the setting of letting it go to sleep to rule that out as well. We have an AS400 based ERP system that prints to both of these printers for reports, the AS400 reboots everyday on Saturday morning at 2am. This is the only thing I could think of that happens early Saturday morning. It seems like when these 2 machines have issues, there can be other network related issues, but for the majority it's largely just these 2 454 printers.

Also - when this happens, after we reboot each machine, both 454e printers just sit flashing and orange light on controller screen and the screen menu bar keeps flashing between "Preparing User Box" and "Preparing Scan/Fax".

I have ran scans to make sure there are no duplicate IP addresses or hostnames on our network. This issue clears itself sometimes from a reboot and sometimes without a reboot. It's hard to tell what exactly could be causing this and it's also hard to tell what the actual resolution is each time.

This has been a very frustrating issue with these printers, anyone else experience this before?

blackcat4866
01-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Are your endusers using Account Tracking Password Only? At the current J6 version of the firmware there remains a problem of the machine experiencing logic lockups anywhere from once a week to 3 times a day. The machine becomes unresponsive to the keyboard or printing, or the web interface. As of today, the only workaround I know of is to shut off the Account Tracking, or changing the setting to Username and Password.
=^..^=

allan
01-18-2015, 04:54 PM
I wonder what would trigger that?

Check to see if there is no schedule setup on the machine under power save or per user. Or just change the date to check.

mkweick
01-18-2015, 05:30 PM
If the keyboard is unresponsive and I can't hit the web interface, how am I supposed to check account tracking setting?

I don't believe we are using any account racking codes though, what do you mean by "or changing the setting to us username and password."

Allan - can you clarify "Or just change the date to check."

mkweick
01-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Okay - I had to disconnect the ethernet cord from the printer, reboot, and then it allowed me to use the screen and get to the admin settings that way.

Both User Authentication and Account Track is OFF and Print without Authentication is set to ALLOW.

allan
01-18-2015, 06:17 PM
If the keyboard is unresponsive and I can't hit the web interface, how am I supposed to check account tracking setting?

I don't believe we are using any account racking codes though, what do you mean by "or changing the setting to us username and password."

Allan - can you clarify "Or just change the date to check."

The machine has got a setting to make the machine go to sleep and wake-up at specified times, and you can also restrict users to only be able to use the machines at certain times. But this is not on by default.

allan
01-18-2015, 06:19 PM
If the basic screen is not blocked by a screen that asks for login detail the account tracking and user auth is not on. under account tracking you can select password only then there is no need for the user to enter the account name only the password is needed.

allan
01-18-2015, 06:35 PM
There is firmware/SSD upgrade out for the unresponsive panel and coming out of sleep issue. What is your current firmware version?

jakani
01-25-2015, 10:31 PM
i have the same problem for some couple days now in two machines ineo 454e and ineo +454 , when i remove the network cable the two messages "Preparing User Box" and "Preparing Scan/Fax" stop appearing and when i put it back it gets back to same problem !
have you solved the problem mkweick ?

allan
01-26-2015, 12:29 AM
i have the same problem for some couple days now in two machines ineo 454e and ineo +454 , when i remove the network cable the two messages "Preparing User Box" and "Preparing Scan/Fax" stop appearing and when i put it back it gets back to same problem !
have you solved the problem mkweick ?

Try changing the network speed setting on the machine from auto to 100Mbs full duplex. Are u using a static ip for the machine or is it using DHCP? Still thinking firmware.

darry1322
01-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Try changing the network speed setting on the machine from auto to 100Mbs full duplex. Are u using a static ip for the machine or is it using DHCP? Still thinking firmware.

I had 3 "e" series machines at a local college exhibit this behavior all on the same day. Tried changing network speed with no help. IT changed from DHCP allocation to static setting on the copier and it seems to have solved the issue. Still don't know why.

All non "e" machines were not affected.

Shadow
01-26-2015, 02:42 PM
do you have the network cables running through the KM supplied surge protector?
if so, bypass it completely, as I found these to cause this exact same problem with these machines.
there is no need for surge protection on the network cables running to these machines.

darry1322
01-26-2015, 02:43 PM
do you have the network cables running through the KM supplied surge protector?
if so, bypass it completely, as I found these to cause this exact same problem with these machines.
there is no need for surge protection on the network cables running to these machines.

Not present on my 3 machines.

Shadow
01-26-2015, 02:48 PM
is the client running any kind of network monitoring software?
it will also cause problems by sandbagging the machines and sending erroneous information to the machines.
disable any and all power save settings and timers on the machine.
did this just start happening, or has it been ongoing since day one?

darry1322
01-26-2015, 03:01 PM
is the client running any kind of network monitoring software?
it will also cause problems by sandbagging the machines and sending erroneous information to the machines.
disable any and all power save settings and timers on the machine.
did this just start happening, or has it been ongoing since day one?

In my case the machines had been in place for a few months. One day all 3 "e" series machines call in as unresponsive. After figuring out they worked with the network cables unplugged, I changed the network speed as a test and found them still unresponsive with the cables connected. IT was not available so I left the machine off the network so the customer could use copy and fax. I showed them how to scan to USB drive for temporary scanning. When I went to the next office and found the same symptoms, I explained what was happening to the user and they told me that IT had been "upgrading" some systems during the week and causing other issues as well.

I talked to IT on the phone the following week and they said the machines were operating properly with static addresses and they would leave it at that. That was a month or so ago and I haven't been to the machines since then.

Added info: all the new non-"e" machines at this campus seem to be unaffected.

allan
01-26-2015, 06:05 PM
I had network switches cause this problem. Maybe because the switch is acting like an authentication device. I am only thinking of this now, switch off any protocol on the machine that is not in use including SNMP. Even test HTTP.

JR2ALTA
01-26-2015, 06:12 PM
i would do an all data clear and format harddrive. this should get you up and running. just have address book backed up, firmware and movie data ready.

jakani
01-28-2015, 03:14 PM
ok hi everybody
as i said before i have this problem on two machines , i went to check it out and i found that the problem solved and everybody print normally ! i asked the IT if they did something or try something they said no , on my way out i went for a last check SURPRISE the problem came back on first machine after 5 minutes on the second i tried changing ip adresses , network speed , i cleared all data , format the hard drive and both machines have static ip adresses !
i don't have a firmware so i couldn't try that solution !
but on my way to surrender i thought to bring an other machine that was next to those two(it was working perfectly) and install it in the place of the machines with weird problem and surprislly it gived the same problem (the screen menu bar keeps flashing between "Preparing User Box" and "Preparing Scan/Fax".) and i can't do anything on the menu and in server it appears offline ...
i told the IT that its something on their network ! i will go back today and see if i will come up with something

Hansoon
01-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Sounds somehow like a rotten switch.

Hans

jakani
02-03-2015, 10:19 AM
i verified with it department the two machines are plugged to two different switches !
and the machines still give the same problems from time to time and i really don't know what to do ?

one other machine close to those two i noticed yesterday that there is a job stuck in job list and can't be deleted and those lights keeps on and off ,27849
and no one can print until i power it off !

stickfly
02-03-2015, 11:20 AM
In mkweick's case it sounds like the clue is in the fact that the 2 machines cannot be used after the As400 server reboots.
Are the 454e's set to static IP's or are they on DHCP?
The fact that they are sitting saying " Preparing scan / fax " shows they are hunting for the network but cannot find it. Something to do with the server reboot is blocking them. ie the IP.
Just to add that if the server has re-allocated IP addresses when re-booted then the ping reply could be from something else on the network not the copiers.

Regards ..... G

Badhabit
02-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

I had the exact same problem at a client, who had multiple e-range machines.
The problem was only on 1 specific floor and only first thing in the morning.
We changed switches, updated firmware, switched every non essential protocol off etc.

I eventually asked them if they could change the IP addresses of the devices to a different WAN used by the other floors.
This solved the issue and we haven't been back since.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

jakani
03-04-2015, 11:43 AM
here is a thread that they have the same problem and it seems that they solved it by adding a normal switch between the machine and the client switch :D
so you can try it if you steel got the problem

Imsdal
03-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Hello there..

I donīt know if this can help you or not.
I had the same problem with a C554e the same thing happen that they couldnīt print and the blue light was flashing.
As you can see in the foto the client have many of those app on the panel and what I did I erased many of them and I just let the COPY, BOX, FAX/SCAN and the SETTINGS button on the panel and the problem just went away. I donīt know what causes the problem if is has something to do with many apps on the panel, I have contact Konica Minolta in Germany about this but no respons.
Let me know if this helps you.

Cheers

Imsdal

jakani
03-05-2015, 01:12 PM
http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/96353-when-plug-network-cable-screen-come-out-preparing-scan-fax-userbox.html#post460924
link to thread where they used a switch :p

and thanks Imsdal i will try that today , because the "flashing between Preparing User Box and Preparing Scan/Fax." has gone and i have now a problem like yours (they couldn't print and the blue light is flashing)
thanks for replying i 'm running out of solutions

Custom Search