PDA

View Full Version : HDD Replacement

Custom Search

jwrycza
01-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Just looking for opinions on HDD replacement on machines. My team lead says to always do a logical format first, then a physical format on all HDDs that get replaced. The manual says just the logical format in Service Mode. The physical can take a few hours. Is it ok to just do the logical and reinstall the address book, the lock password and call it good?
Just wondering what the concensus is??

allan
01-20-2015, 08:46 PM
If the hdd is coming from a pc shop or a pc do physical, no sense in doing logical and then physical they may be smoking something. or do you mean first try logical if no luck then do physical it makes sense. logical is like a quick format.

jwrycza
01-20-2015, 09:05 PM
I am talking about a brand new HDD from Konica Minolta warehouse. I do understand the need to do it to a used one from another machine. I am talking new, however.

allan
01-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Try logical if it works it works.

emujo
01-20-2015, 09:24 PM
A brand new drive should only need a logical format, if you perform the physical format it will require the logical format as the next step. If you are replacing a HDD on a MFP with bizhub secure installed, and you can't remove the encryption and/or lock passwords prior to replacement, then you will need to do the physical followed by logical as the drive s/n will no longer match what was originally installed. Emujo

EarthKmTech
01-22-2015, 06:10 AM
The last time i had to do a physical format was when C350's were current models.

I always do logical and have never had a problem and have changed a LOT of hdd's. Particularly when the 4 series came out with the crappy Hitachi hard drives. I was changing hard drives once a week before they changed over to western digital.

Good to know about bizhub secure though. Have a few machines with that.

allan
01-22-2015, 06:16 AM
C452 gives HDD problems. Had to change 2 recently.

Custom Search