PDA

View Full Version : Tri-fold skewed paper

Custom Search

wseyller
01-26-2015, 09:53 PM
FS535 + SD512 attached to Bizhub 654. Has 589,000 on counter.

8 1/2 x 11 plain paper

The amount of skew varies. Sometimes it folds ok but most are skewed and the amount of skew varies.

Half folds are perfects

I took the SD unit amount and removed enough parts to get to the folding area. I didn't see anything that could cause this. Mylars look ok. I cleaned all the rollers really good but this made no difference. This is the first time I've had to take one of these apart. Been lucky this whole time till now.

The image is good on the paper. I know for sure the paper is straight as it enter the finisher entrance.

dljorg
01-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Sorry I have no specific knowledge of these particular models but in general KM folders are famous for having the folding rollers with the bearings in plastic carriers. When these carriers crack the result is skewed folds.

You say half folds are OK but trifolds are not. Most units use one fold roller set for half folds and two roller sets for trifolding. Should be able to find the locations of the roller sets used for half and trifolds in the Theory of Operation section of the service manual. Once you know the roller set to look at look close. The cracks are not always obvious. I would go so far as to suggest replacing all the plastic carriers in the folder based on the age of that unit but take pictures before you start. Adjusting the fold rollers after they are out can be a challenge.

wseyller
01-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks for that information. I will check this.

Synaux
01-29-2015, 08:04 PM
I have never seen any of the finishers trifold without without a 5-12% or so error in folding (especially if when you try to trick em with 22#+ weighted papers).

Does it do this on all folds?

You probably know this, but there is a mechanical adjustment on the bottom of the array (at least on earlier models) and an adjustment in service mode--the combination of these values might be what is messing you up. Try making everything default and work from there.

wseyller
01-30-2015, 09:46 PM
It varies but it is bad more times then good. Every few pages you might get one that looks pretty good. Some are so bad you could use them as a throwing star.

methogod
02-01-2015, 12:28 PM
with that meter, i suspect there fold rollers are worn, clean them with d-ink, and if they are not grippy after that try something stronger.

The only option after that is there is spring tension adjustment on the folder. Its a bitch to adjust. you need to fashion a puller rod or buy one.

pull the cover off the folder (plastic cover on the front of the folder (access from the the front), you should see the adjustment, should be 3 holes the springs can go into. if you cant find it ill send you a photo of one of my machines...

wseyller
02-02-2015, 09:54 PM
I went back and decided to take some of that Brillainize cleaner and wipe it around around the guides and area where the paper drops down into the SD unit. This fixed it perfectly.

Synaux
02-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Glad hear you got it working!

Custom Search