PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Minolta Bizhub C451 Locks up on Splash screen

Custom Search

macjax
02-07-2015, 04:53 AM
Greetings all and thank you for taking the time to help me with my issue. So, here it is:

My office upgraded their copiers and I took one of them. It is a Minolta Bizhub C451. It was fully working, with no issues until I got it home. The unit powers up fine but after it finishes powering up, the touchscreen and all the hard buttons are dead. When I say dead I mean they do not respond to my presses. The screen is lit up fine, shows everything it should but its completely unresponsive. It seems like it is in some sort of lock out mode to prevent it from being used however, it has never been setup this way and should work fine.

After some research, I found out that you can press and hold the UTILITY button to get the machine into service mode.
I press and hold the button and release when I see the Minolta Logo. I do noticed the small round black dot that displays on the screen to show it is going into service mode. After that, nothing happens. It gets stuck on the Minolta Splash screen and nothing else. I have left it on for hours just to see if anything would happen and still nothing. I have tried this procedure over a dozen times with same results.

After more online research, It seems to be bad or corrupt NVRAM. Can you guys confirm this for me or is it possible it's something else ? If it is the NVRAM, is it an easy fix ? I have updated Firmware before to computers and what not but never to a copier.

Any input would be so greatly appreciated !!!!

Thanks !!!!!!!

copier tech
02-07-2015, 09:20 AM
This can happen after the machine has been moved, could simply be a loose connection, i'd start by removing & re seating the ram, if no luck try removing & reseating all the connections on the main boards etc

Luther
02-07-2015, 04:53 PM
You may simply just have a stuck hard key on the operation panel, check all the buttons and see if one is stuck

macjax
02-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Thank you guys ! I definitely don't have a hard key stuck. I know this because I purchased a LCD Screen assembly on eBay and the I sill have the same issue.

I will try resetting RAM and all connections now and I will post results.

Thanks again !!

RRodgers
02-07-2015, 09:05 PM
This can happen after the machine has been moved, could simply be a loose connection, i'd start by removing & re seating the ram, if no luck try removing & reseating all the connections on the main boards etc

I find when a machine does this it's almost always the ram. Try reseating it or replacing.

EarthKmTech
02-07-2015, 09:27 PM
I agree with RRodgers.

It will be the ram in bank 1 being defective, if its in bank 0 the machine wont even progress from a black screen and both lights ON on the scanner when turned on.

And yes, even moving a machine with marginal ram will kill it, done it many times before just changing consumables on these crusty old machines. Similar thing happens with business PC's with thousands of hours on them, any flexing of the motherboard and its instant and permanent death.

macjax
02-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Update !

So I removed RAM, cleaned contacts and still same issue. I then switched the RAM from bank 0 to 1 and 1 to 0. After doing so the machine will not power up. Just like EarthKM said, both scanner lights are constantly lit. If I'm not mistaking, looks like I have a bad memory module ? I am going to replace both anyway. Any recommendations on RAM I should get ? I will try eBay for the exact same but just in case I can't find any, would like a substitute.

Thanks again guys !!

Synaux
02-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Update !

So I removed RAM, cleaned contacts and still same issue. I then switched the RAM from bank 0 to 1 and 1 to 0. After doing so the machine will not power up. Just like EarthKM said, both scanner lights are constantly lit. If I'm not mistaking, looks like I have a bad memory module ? I am going to replace both anyway. Any recommendations on RAM I should get ? I will try eBay for the exact same but just in case I can't find any, would like a substitute.

Thanks again guys !!

If I am not mistaken, you are not to change the bank the RAM is in. Switch it back and see it it will boot.
If it boots try a trouble reset again.

If you decide to perform a NVRAM recovery I suggest hiring a professional--it takes a proprietary bit of software and firmware and a certain size CF card and card reader.

emujo
02-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Bank 0 should always have a chip in it, bank 1 is for the upgraded memory (web browser my panel etc..) and can be used or not. You should try a new memory stick in slot 0. Emujo

geemcdoo
06-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Had a similar issue today, I replaced the NV ram and it was still doing the same thing. Found that when i tried to press the utility counter it just beeped and would not let me into the menu. Aslo when I tried to do the trouble reset it froze. I ended up disconnecting the hard drive cable and it booted up first time. It did boot with a HD error code, just go into the service menu and set the HDD to not installed, reboot machine and it should come to ready state. Replace the HDD when it arrives p/n: A00JM72100.

Custom Search