PDA

View Full Version : KonMin

Custom Search

copier addict
02-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Could someone please explain to me KonMin firmware. What is "function version" "mass production" etc? It is very confusing to me?
I am not new to KonMin, however it has never been properly explained in training.
Thanks

CompyTech
02-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Could someone please explain to me KonMin firmware. What is "function version" "mass production" etc? It is very confusing to me?
I am not new to KonMin, however it has never been properly explained in training.
Thanks

The way It was explained to me was the "function version" Is just what you tell the machine what level of firmware you're on. I wish it was simpler, but it's simply complicated.

emujo
02-13-2015, 02:03 PM
KM loves to generate new firmware, some of it is for bug fixes, some adds additional technology or special features. Mass production firmware is a level that will be standard on all factory MFPs as they get to the warehouse. Mass production firmware can also be a function version update as well. This can be tricky as the print drivers must be able to work with the function version installed on the MFP. You can update to the very latest firmware, but leave the MFP function version at the introductory level. This would allow you to take advantage of the bug fixes, but you would have to continue using a driver that matches...for the e series, driver version 3.x would be required. If you update to function version 7 (current) you would be required to use driver version 5.x. Higher function versions also include updates to Movie data, Loadable device drivers, TWAIN drivers etc...It gets very hard to manage when you are dealing with large customers that replace their MFPs a few at a time over a long period. The 1st MFPs go in at function version 3, then 6 months down the road the next batch comes in at version 5, then the next batch at version 7. Now you have the need for 3 different drivers, or you can go back to the earlier MFPs and update firmware/function versions to make everything match (better from the customers point of view). My advice is to read over the PDF that details the firmware release. It gives specific info on what changed, and the version levels to make everything "play nice". Hope this helps, Emujo

allan
02-13-2015, 04:34 PM
I feel u i asked the same question before, no one seen to really know. :confused:

Issac-brock
02-28-2015, 04:46 PM
I find the read me's confusing. Yes it describes fixes and upgrade/downgrade procedures but I never see exactly what and why the different function versions. I do understand that the driver and function versions must match but that's about it.

Not covered in training, asking some of our IT support techs's yielded a "just ignore it" answer.

Makes no sense, there must be a valid reason and listing for function versions and what the benefit may be.

I'm at a loss,

Colin

:confused:

Synaux
02-28-2015, 07:26 PM
It gets very hard to manage when you are dealing with large customers that replace their MFPs

How large are these customers you speak of are they sitting on the MFPs and breaking them? :P

ivovb
02-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Here is my info.

mass production firmware - stick on this version of firmware.
maintenance release firmware - bug fix version of mass production. U can use it. Read supported docs first for changes...
special firmware - some kind of MR. Can't see the difference. U can use it. Read supported docs first for changes...
customized firmware - produced for some major account whit specific settings, functions etc. Stay away of this.

BR

Custom Search