PDA

View Full Version : Wild Weather.

Custom Search

NeoMatrix
02-20-2015, 01:17 AM
For those that don't beleive in climate change. Australia has a triple cyclone threat, two of those have just cross the coast line at the same time. I type this while my wife and I watch category 5 cyclonic winds bare down on our home.
We are on high wind alert and major flood alert at this very moment. Destructive winds up to 285km/h. Tital surge in access of 3 meters above high tide ( 7 meter tide). Boating pylons an safe achors are not 7 meters high.
We are loosing power just now, must post this ... all is okay so far.

blackcat4866
02-20-2015, 01:28 AM
Stay safe. =^..^=

Tonerbomb
02-20-2015, 01:36 AM
hang on NEO, keep the family safe, the weather is whack right now. Here in the states we have the huge snows in the northeast and the deep freeze in most other parts and the rains are coming for the west coast folks. The older I get the more I hate snow and cold weather. The tornados are only a couple month's away............ Be safe !!!!!!!!!!!

ZOOTECH
02-20-2015, 02:06 AM
I hope you prepared with extra supplies of food, lighting, and heat.
Stay diligent, and be safe.

igi
02-20-2015, 05:54 AM
For those that don't beleive in climate change. Australia has a triple cyclone threat, two of those have just cross the coast line at the same time. I type this while my wife and I watch category 5 cyclonic winds bare down on our home.
We are on high wind alert and major flood alert at this very moment. Destructive winds up to 285km/h. Tital surge in access of 3 meters above high tide ( 7 meter tide). Boating pylons an safe achors are not 7 meters high.
We are loosing power just now, must post this ... all is okay so far.

yes be safe,
and I suggest skip surfing for today
:)

Iowatech
02-20-2015, 05:57 AM
Just took a look at the satellite image, yikes!
As this is unlikely to get to you until after the storm is over, I hope you are doing OK now.
(The satellite image I was looking at, in case anyone else is interested: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/FULLDISK/MTIR.JPG It updates every hour.)

Lagonda
02-20-2015, 05:59 AM
Hang in there Neo, please let us know how you fared when you get the power back on. Did you stock up with the Qld cyclone survival kit, XXXX and Bundy?

Oze
02-20-2015, 06:34 AM
They reckon that when it finally hits here in Toowoomba it'll still be a Category 1....we have torrential rain right now but it'll be nothing compared to you're neck of the woods Neo....keep your head down mate and you'll be right :)

Lagonda
02-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Hey Neo, how you doing mate?
Friday night 8 PM

igi
02-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Hey Neo, how you doing mate?
Friday night 8 PM

+1

canonbundy
02-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Hi Guys, it's been a strange day in Bundy too, the cyclone was originally to track down our way (yesterday's reports) so this morning most schools & businesses closed (except us morons), as the Cyclone is 200K north of Bundy and Neo's Sunny Coast is 200K south of Bundy I went to work anyway only to put up with a light breeze, sunshine and a very muggy day, it started to cloud over about 4.00 this arvo, (I had been watching the destruction & floods etc on the news - on & off), so after work I had a couple of beers .........and BOY are we copping it NOW & hoping it's not a repeat of Australia Day 2013.

Good luck Guys & stay safe.

Cliff.

fixthecopier
02-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Climate change??? The temp right now is 8F,with a high of 20F predicted. It will be 54 tomorrow and 64 on Sunday.

https://www.adn.com/article/20150218/warm-weather-new-checkpoints-complicate-iditarod-drop-bag-preparations

Zackuth
02-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Yes, do stay safe!! I pray that everything is all right.

Lagonda
02-20-2015, 11:11 PM
9.00 Am Sat morning here in Brissy, Cyclone Marcia has petered out to be a tropical low. Its just reached Brisbane, lots of rain but no wind. Local roads cut with flash flooding. Marcia has left a trail of destruction as she came south but fortunately no fatalities reported so far.
No word from Neo in Rockhampton as yet, hopefully thats just because large areas of the Capricorn Coast are still without power.

NeoMatrix
02-22-2015, 04:40 AM
Thanks thanks thanks click for everyone here.......
The family is all ok.(Sun. 22-02-15)

Holy crap!!!!, I don't want to do that again in my life time.
I've been through 2 cyclones. Cyclone Marcia hit us with wind gusts of 285km/h.
Lots of destruction every where. Huge trees that have been in the ground for 100yrs have been up rooted.
Minimal structual damage mostly missing roof sheets on older houses, some building collspes and missing garden sheds.
The coastal community have been hit worst.
We are on backup power for now. We hope to be back on normal power in a week or two.

We have no radio or television, no cell phone towers. No fuel pumps an minimal fuel rations. The waiting line for fuel/gas is three or four city blocks long bumper-to-bumper and 4 hours waiting in line for a fuel bowser/pump. Cold Ice is costing upto $10 a bag.

ZOOTECH
02-22-2015, 07:38 AM
So glad that you and family made it through the worst of it; it's time for regrouping, and rebuilding now.
This should be easy now that the calm has followed the storm.

NeoMatrix
02-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Cyclone Marcia update
----------------------------
Some of the suburbs around us have electrical power supply restored, after 3 days. I believe it is only backup transformers though.
One suburb overloaded their backup transformer an it exploded.

The heat and humidity is unbearable; I usually don't mind when it's hot, but this is horrible humid heat. It's around 34 degC calm and still and 100% humidity.
The night time is terrible for sleep. Pitch black dark and no airconditioning or fans. The plus side of being dark is that you can see the milky-way stars in clear full glory, as there is no city light haze.

The small township of Marmor down the coast from us has been flattened entirely; according to 3rd hand media reports.
For the Aussies, I have no reports coming from the northeast coastal area as we have no regular power or radio as yet.

Ok people( I was going to say fella's) I'm posting this from another suburb with full power, I'll try and keep you up todate.

I hope I get a ship load more work out of this.... Turn a negative situation into a positive in the very least......:D

I can't click thanks for everyone here on the thread because the internet connection is tooooooo sloooowwww.... The CTN web page update is forbidding...

Neo....

blackcat4866
02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
We're all glad here that you didn't take too much damage personally, and no injuries. It'll be a while before everything gets back to normal. Keep us posted when you can. =^..^=

Tonerbomb
02-22-2015, 07:49 PM
We're all glad here that you didn't take too much damage personally, and no injuries. It'll be a while before everything gets back to normal. Keep us posted when you can. =^..^=

x2!!!!!!!!!!

fixthecopier
02-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Glad to hear everything is OK. Careful though, having rode out many hurricanes, you have to be aware that the bad weather dislodges many annoying insects that are now very angry. I have been stung many times the day after by yellow jackets. Bet you have a lot of nasty critters down there, and I bet they are pissed.

Lagonda
02-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Glad to hear everything is OK. Careful though, having rode out many hurricanes, you have to be aware that the bad weather dislodges many annoying insects that are now very angry. I have been stung many times the day after by yellow jackets. Bet you have a lot of nasty critters down there, and I bet they are pissed.

You got that one right Fixa,the mozzies will be breeding in all the puddles of stagnant water lying around and they carry a couple of nasty viruses, Dengue fever and Ross River fever. Mrs Lagonda got Ross River fever over 25 years ago and is still suffering from it.

NeoMatrix
02-23-2015, 09:28 PM
We're in luck, our suburb was on the short list for electricity repairs.
We had power restored after four days. Things should settle down to normal from here on.
There is still a massive clean up to be done. The military have sent working groups in to the area to assit with the clean up.

Really strange weather. Two days before the cyclone started we had a 5.2 earth quake in the country about 300 km south west from here. If you make a line on the map where the earth quake hit, through Rockhampton an out to sea were the cyclone started north east , you will find the path line the cyclone followed as it intensified rapid toward the quake area. The cyclone that hit here was the most rapid forming intensive cyclone on record. No cyclone has ever intensified so quick in such a short amount of time.
What makes this event even more strange is we generally don't get earth quakes in Australia, especially in this area. We might get small ground subsiding tremors after flood waters dry out but never earth quakes, or any where near a 5.2 magnitude.

NeoMatrix
02-23-2015, 09:45 PM
You got that one right Fixa,the mozzies will be breeding in all the puddles of stagnant water lying around and they carry a couple of nasty viruses, Dengue fever and Ross River fever. Mrs Lagonda got Ross River fever over 25 years ago and is still suffering from it.

Re. Ross River virus.
This story was taken from the local paper.
An elderly gent who worked alone on a cattle property was struck down with ross river fever. He had cattle in the yards an was unable to feed and water them for days. Still over come by fever exhuastion he forced himself out of bed to feed and water his cattle. While in the round yard one of the cattle crush him against the electric fence, he was unable to move for some minutes, an his body took multiple jolts from the high voltage electric fence.

The following morning he awoke feeling much better. He told an other friend who was suffering from Ross river for months to try the electric fence as a cure. He did an was feeling much better.
They both told their story to the local media an it was printed in the local paper.

Lagonda
02-23-2015, 10:25 PM
..........The following morning he awoke feeling much better. He told an other friend who was suffering from Ross river for months to try the electric fence as a cure. He did an was feeling much better. ...........

I'll suggest to Mrs Lagonda that I can cure all her ills by wiring her up to a charge corona but I don't think she'll be too enthusiastic about it!

NeoMatrix
02-23-2015, 11:01 PM
I'll suggest to Mrs Lagonda that I can cure all her ills by wiring her up to a charge corona but I don't think she'll be too enthusiastic about it!

Hahahaha, yeah...
Wired for sound by Cliff Richards. Wire her up and listen to the screams....

Here's a thought : Put the positive wire on yourself an the negative wire on Mrs Lagonda an let the sparks fly, it could be a whole new love life experience. :cool:

No skip that!, I can picture the news headlines now. "Man an wife had a shocking love life...":)

Lagonda
02-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Hahahaha, yeah...
Wired for sound by Cliff Richards. Wire her up and listen to the screams....

Here's a thought : Put the positive wire on yourself an the negative wire on Mrs Lagonda an let the sparks fly, it could be a whole new love life experience. :cool:

No skip that!, I can picture the news headlines now. "Man an wife had a shocking love life...":)

Judging by her usual attitude to my advances she's more likely to have me charged with 'Assault with Battery"

NeoMatrix
02-24-2015, 01:03 AM
Judging by her usual attitude to my advances she's more likely to have me charged with 'Assault with Battery"

Understand totally. The court case transcript would probably read "Guilty thereof : charging ass-ault with battery.".......

How do you plead... "one more time with the plaintiff in these handcuffs thanks your honour."

... whipping for the crime should be mandatory ...:p:D :cool:

Phrag
02-24-2015, 02:10 AM
Crazy weather. I live in Gladstone, about 1 hour 30 minute drive from Rockhampton, where the Eye passed directly over. We've had regular storms worse than Marcia. It barely touched us compared to Rockhampton/Yeppoon. The closest it got to us was about 60KM west of us.

It's apparently the furthest south a Cat 5 has ever made landfall.

fixthecopier
02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
On the subject of nasty critters, I found this pic titled "This is how Australians prevent their electrical meter from being read"

http://i.imgur.com/EQX4Opb.jpg

fixthecopier
02-24-2015, 01:27 PM
And speaking of crazy weather, it was 62 on Sunday and today they just canceled work because of snow. There is only about an inch on the ground and it is sleeting now. I know this funny to folks who live up north, but keep in mind our roads rarely get treated and nobody owns snow tires. A large percentage of the people in ditches or accidents have northern plates on their car, because they want to get out and show us Southerners how it's done.

remember, this was my state last year...

http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/1920543_10152192564303431_259801825_n.jpg

And just to show we are consistent, the place this was taken, Raleigh, has so far reported over 1,000 wrecks this morning.

NeoMatrix
02-24-2015, 09:33 PM
On the subject of nasty critters, I found this pic titled "This is how Australians prevent their electrical meter from being read"

http://i.imgur.com/EQX4Opb.jpg

It would be okay if it worked like that, but Energex would send out an approximation power bill. It wouldn't work out in your favour. The same thing applies if you have a vicious dog on your property, and they can get safe access to the meter.

NeoMatrix
02-24-2015, 09:46 PM
And speaking of crazy weather, it was 62 on Sunday and today they just canceled work because of snow. There is only about an inch on the ground and it is sleeting now. I know this funny to folks who live up north, but keep in mind our roads rarely get treated and nobody owns snow tires. A large percentage of the people in ditches or accidents have northern plates on their car, because they want to get out and show us Southerners how it's done.

http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/1920543_10152192564303431_259801825_n.jpg

And just to show we are consistent, the place this was taken, Raleigh, has so far reported over 1,000 wrecks this morning.

It's interesting that all the problems appear to be on the uphill side and none on the down hill side.
You would believe vehicles on the down hill side wouldn't be able to stop an there would be a similar amount of vehicles in trouble.

You can't control people's ignorance or arrogant attitude to weather and road conidtions. We see the same thing here in Australia with people driving through flood water an low level creek crossings.

CompyTech
02-25-2015, 03:29 AM

Crazy thing ain't it? This is what we call milk and bread weather down here in miss'ippi. A snow flake falls and everyone runs to the store to get milk and bread like it's going out of style.

Speaking of crazy weather, coming up on 10 year of Katrina this year. I worry bout the tornados more than the hurricanes. That big one that hit Tuscaloosa few years ago didn't miss us by much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

igi
02-25-2015, 05:05 AM
looks like every body get hit, by amazingly destructive weather.
the last country to suffer was Zimbabwe,
a Gale force destroyed them in cricket.

ps. jokes aside
I am glad to hear that all is OK

fixthecopier
02-25-2015, 11:19 AM
The thing about snow in the south is that unless the temps stay in deep freeze mode, just being patient will work. with our wild temp swings, and above freezing average temps in winter, the ground rarely freezes. The new fallen stuff will stay on top of grass and such, but by afternoon the ground heat starts coming up through the pavement. An average snowfall the roads will fix themselves by late afternoon. I went out yesterday in a Honda Element and had no issues and didn't see anyone in a ditch. Still lots of dangerous spots, but most people stay home. The 2 or 3 inches will have almost completely disappeared by late afternoon today.

CompyTech
02-26-2015, 01:55 PM
The thing about snow in the south is that unless the temps stay in deep freeze mode, just being patient will work. with our wild temp swings, and above freezing average temps in winter, the ground rarely freezes. The new fallen stuff will stay on top of grass and such, but by afternoon the ground heat starts coming up through the pavement. An average snowfall the roads will fix themselves by late afternoon. I went out yesterday in a Honda Element and had no issues and didn't see anyone in a ditch. Still lots of dangerous spots, but most people stay home. The 2 or 3 inches will have almost completely disappeared by late afternoon today.

We got hammered yesterday. It came in later than expected, freezing rain all morning till about 13:00. I left work about 15:30 had to take a detour on the way home cause it looked like some one went in the ditch. Problem I saw was while the main highways were mostly clear, the back roads I had to take were covered. It was also a wet type of snow, I could hear limbs crashing down around through out the evening, so our power went out for half the night. Doesn't look like it will clear out till much later today probably tomorrow, I've still got 4 to 6 inches of slush on my street. So looks like I've got a snow day today.:D

NeoMatrix
02-26-2015, 10:36 PM
We got hammered yesterday. It came in later than expected, freezing rain all morning till about 13:00. I left work about 15:30 had to take a detour on the way home cause it looked like some one went in the ditch. Problem I saw was while the main highways were mostly clear, the back roads I had to take were covered. It was also a wet type of snow, I could hear limbs crashing down around through out the evening, so our power went out for half the night. Doesn't look like it will clear out till much later today probably tomorrow, I've still got 4 to 6 inches of slush on my street. So looks like I've got a snow day today.:D

Bugger..... stay warm...

The missus an I call those cold rainy days "snuggle days" : home in bed with a good movie.

Custom Search