PDA

View Full Version : C650 Scan to Email

Custom Search

lt1fj40
05-14-2008, 04:41 PM
We just received a new C650, I would like to have scan to email function but we are not able to get it to work, every scan errors back with "Server Connection Error"

The installer cannot figure it out and says it is something on our network. I have done lots of reading on this site of previous posts on the same subject and I have downloaded SMTP Mailer and QM and they both work on our network to email through our exchange server.

Any thoughts on things I should be looking for?

Thanks for all your help.

Rob.

dedgreg
05-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Hmm, maybe problem is with user authentification? Is your SMTP server require authentification? Or maybe you use SSL connection? Have you tried to scan to SMB or FTP? Can you send me photos describing your configuration? Maybe looking at them I'll be able to help you.
DedGreg

dogsbody
05-15-2008, 12:08 PM
have you set the machines email address? it is in admin mode one of the first couple of buttons where you set the machine and administrator email address. I always make sure there is an address in both.
if it is not put in the copier wont send an email. it is a simple thing that can be overlooked.
if you are using host name for the server try the IP address instead.
if it is not an onsite server the gateway address may be missing or input incorrectly (i have seen it happen).

a couple of basic things to have a look at.

lt1fj40
05-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I am also the email server administrator and the server does not need user authentication or SMTP athen. But to rule it out I did create a mailbox for the bizhub and a user id and received the same error when trying to scan. No Of course the sales dude really pumped up the scan to email function so ppl here only want that..lol

I have attached a screen shot of the web config page.
http://www.oemreman.com/images/CopierScreen.jpg

lt1fj40
05-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I have 2 exchange servers and I have tried to use either host name or IP address and they both don't work, everything I do i get the same error.

ni311
05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Shouldn't be checked SMTP Server Address check box?
Just copy the settings from your email application to you machine and it should work. Check for any firewall or something like that which is blocking the access to your mail server.

lt1fj40
05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
my understanding is you dont check the check box unless you are using a host name, I have tried host names and IP addresses and FQDN.

There are no firewalls between the photocopier and the email servers on the internal network.

Scott_Lewis
05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
We just received a new C650, I would like to have scan to email function but we are not able to get it to work, every scan errors back with "Server Connection Error"

The installer cannot figure it out and says it is something on our network. I have done lots of reading on this site of previous posts on the same subject and I have downloaded SMTP Mailer and QM and they both work on our network to email through our exchange server.

Any thoughts on things I should be looking for?

Thanks for all your help.

Rob.

If you are stumped, grab the network traffic with wireshark to see what is going on.

Haroldbfix
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Make sure the router is configured to allow traffic from the engine (ip address). We had one with the fiery installed. The switch allowed traffic from the fiery but not the engines controller (Hub setup). The engine had it own static ip address and so did the fiery.

We could scan to our laptop but not through their network. after several frustrating attempts this is what we found.

lt1fj40
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Make sure the router is configured to allow traffic from the engine (ip address). We had one with the fiery installed. The switch allowed traffic from the fiery but not the engines controller (Hub setup). The engine had it own static ip address and so did the fiery.

We could scan to our laptop but not through their network. after several frustrating attempts this is what we found.

Is there a router on the unit?

Mr Spock
05-20-2008, 06:58 PM
If it has a Fiery try the following.

1.) set the fiery up and have the admin reserve the ip for the fiery plus the next one up (if the fiery is 192.168.1.30 then reserve 192.168.1.31 also).
2.) set the copier up as dhcp. Leave the fiery running and reboot the copier.
check the ip address, it should be strange. (202.12.202.12 or something like that).
3.) set this address as the static address on the copier.
4.) set the email up as you have already and try it.

Haroldbfix
05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Is there a router on the unit?

No. You should confirm the router settings with the IT guy.

lt1fj40
05-20-2008, 09:05 PM
If it has a Fiery try the following.

1.) set the fiery up and have the admin reserve the ip for the fiery plus the next one up (if the fiery is 192.168.1.30 then reserve 192.168.1.31 also).
2.) set the copier up as dhcp. Leave the fiery running and reboot the copier.
check the ip address, it should be strange. (202.12.202.12 or something like that).
3.) set this address as the static address on the copier.
4.) set the email up as you have already and try it.

LOL This thing is about ready to go out the window..lol

Here Is what I have, the fiery has an ip addy of 172.22.73.218 Mask 255.255.0.0 I have also saved 219 as per instructions.

Set the copier addy as DHCP, rebooted via main power switch on unit in the front. Once the network settings came it up had a weird DHCP addy of 169.254.211.142 MASK 255.255.0.0 Blank gateway and the same DNS server as our main DNS server 172.22.72.5

Set this exact addy as a manual setup, rebooted again via front main switch.

Tried to send a scan to email, same server connection error.

Set the copier back to DHCP, this time it received a DHCP addy from our DHCP server, 172.22.72.220

Tried to scan and same error.

Any more thoughts?:confused:

Mr Spock
05-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Tech bulletin

Description
How to set up scan to E-mail.
Solution
The IC-409 is the first FieryŽ controller used by Konica Minolta that does not require E-mail settings to function. The standard Emperon controller performs
all E-mail functions and the IC-409 is strictly a pass-through. To set up scan to E-mail, perform the following:
1. Configure the Emperon controller to obtain a TCP/IP address from the IC-409.
2. Use the TCP/IP address assigned to the main body on the FieryŽ configuration test page. It will be an address higher than the IC-409.
3. Log into PageScope Web Connection as an administrator.
4. Select Network and then E-mail settings.
5. Input both the POP and SMTP server settings along with machine E-mail address and any authentication settings that are required.
6. Select Maintainance followed by machine settings and then enter an administrator address.
7. Log out of Administrator mode.

Haroldbfix
05-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Here Is what I have, the fiery has an ip addy of 172.22.73.218 Mask 255.255.0.0 I have also saved 219 as per instructions.

Set the copier addy as DHCP, rebooted via main power switch on unit in the front. Once the network settings came it up had a weird DHCP addy of 169.254.211.142 MASK 255.255.0.0 Blank gateway and the same DNS server as our main DNS server 172.22.72.5

Set the copier back to DHCP, this time it received a DHCP addy from our DHCP server, 172.22.72.220

Ok the 172 ip address is a good sign. 169 ip address is not it means that the engine could not communicate with the fiery at startup, therefore the engine did not get and ip address from the fiery. Keep in mind the fiery acts like a DCHP server (only for the engine) that why the machine should be set up for dhcp. The 172 is not a routable address. Therefore whateverr fierys address is, the machine routable ip address will be one up. For example. The Fiery might be 192.168.100.11, the engine should be 192.168.100.12.

The fiery at startup will ask the customers dhcp server for and ip address for the engine.

OK here is what I would do if i were you. Get a hub set the fiery and engine to a staic adress, have the IT guy reserved both address. Run one patch cable to the engine, and another one to the fiery. You'll have to remove the short black crossover cable that goes between the fiery and the engine. Then your done with that, then you can conncentrate on Email scanning.

There is another way around this as well but it depends ont the level of the fiery's system software, so for now I would try the above.

I've fought a couple of wars with this issue, let me know if you need more help.:(:confused::eek::):D

Haroldbfix
05-21-2008, 02:03 PM

You SMTP server ip address appears to be wrong, take another look at that setting. I looked at the screen shot you attatched on the earlier posting

lanierboy
05-23-2008, 03:49 PM
hi,

looking at your config page the admin and device email addresses are the same, on some old minolta kit they had to be different.

this has stopped a machine working for me before. worth a try!

lt1fj40
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! I finally figured it out, it has to do with our exchange servers for some reason. I did a network capture and noticed the copier and the exchange server were not syncing properly So I created a new SMTP server and the scan to email worked fine!

Now on to figure out why the TCP communication between copier and exchange does not sync up properly.

Thanks Again!
Rob.

Custom Search