PDA

View Full Version : 420i Printing slow

Custom Search

tmaged
05-01-2015, 10:32 PM
I know, we're all tired of seeing slow printing issues. I'm relatively network proficient, but am confused on this one. Customer has a 420i that prints PDF's slow. Sometimes like 30 minutes for 20 pages. They also have a 4501i that if they print the same document to, it prints fine. I assume it's a network issue, get their document on my laptop & print direct fine. Seems like case closed for me. Their IT tries different ports/cables/switch ports etc. hooks up direct & still doesn't work correctly. I go back to troubleshoot further. If I send the same job to both printers at the same time, the 4501i zips through the queue, while the 420i clunks through the queue one page at a time. For me, eliminating acrobat reader as a possible issue (they're using 11). I take a 1350DN, configure it with the IP address, using the cable from the 420i & it prints fine.
Both NIC's are set to 100full on the 420i & 1000full on the 4501i.
All workstations are printing direct to the IP address & are using 6.2.1113 version of the driver as am I.
Pinging the machine seems to respond fine & nothing is on the same IP address.
Some things seem to point to the machine & some to the network. I'm thinking of trying U021 ? Anything else I can use to narrow it down ?
I may push the 420i to the location of the 4501i, but the 1350DN removed the doubt of the network connection.

darry1322
05-01-2015, 11:53 PM
I know, we're all tired of seeing slow printing issues. I'm relatively network proficient, but am confused on this one. Customer has a 420i that prints PDF's slow. Sometimes like 30 minutes for 20 pages. They also have a 4501i that if they print the same document to, it prints fine. I assume it's a network issue, get their document on my laptop & print direct fine. Seems like case closed for me. Their IT tries different ports/cables/switch ports etc. hooks up direct & still doesn't work correctly. I go back to troubleshoot further. If I send the same job to both printers at the same time, the 4501i zips through the queue, while the 420i clunks through the queue one page at a time. For me, eliminating acrobat reader as a possible issue (they're using 11). I take a 1350DN, configure it with the IP address, using the cable from the 420i & it prints fine.
Both NIC's are set to 100full on the 420i & 1000full on the 4501i.
All workstations are printing direct to the IP address & are using 6.2.1113 version of the driver as am I.
Pinging the machine seems to respond fine & nothing is on the same IP address.
Some things seem to point to the machine & some to the network. I'm thinking of trying U021 ? Anything else I can use to narrow it down ?
I may push the 420i to the location of the 4501i, but the 1350DN removed the doubt of the network connection.

I've resolved some slow printing by changing the driver and/or emulation.

subaro
05-02-2015, 12:03 AM
I've resolved some slow printing by changing the driver and/or emulation.

u21 does wonders sometimes. I would also try a good know working hard drive. Hard drives contains buffers, and a controller which regulates input output, and can sometime work erratically. format the drive on the machine u24.

RAM Disk
The RAM disk functions as a virtual hard disk saving print requests into the printingsystem’s memory if a hard disk for printing is not installed. If you have a hard diskinstalled, the RAM disk function is inactive.

Kyo fan
05-02-2015, 02:33 AM
You pretty much covered everything. I would make sure it has the latest firmware, and maybe try with different ip address. Does it only happen with PDF's?

tmaged
05-02-2015, 03:06 AM
Firmware is the latest & it's got 2gb RAM standard, along with a HDD. The emulation is set to KPDL(auto) on both machines.

KenB
05-02-2015, 03:40 AM
Can these machines print PostScript?

If so, try LPRing directly to each: LPR -S <ip of printer> -P <LPR port of printer> c:\filename.pdf -o 1

(Although it sounds like you may have already tried that.)

This will eliminate both the application and the driver used.

Acrobat and Adobe Reader can do some funky stuff. Sometimes a different app (like FoxIt Reader, for instance) may work better.

Slow PDF printing is a REALLY old and common problem. It seems to effect all brands.

ss12
05-02-2015, 03:38 PM
2nd that on u21.had two fs3540,one would print at half speed of the other with the same file and configuration.U 21 sorted it for me

tmaged
05-04-2015, 03:05 AM
What if anything do I risk losing by executing U021 ?

jmaister
05-04-2015, 05:54 AM
u21 is memory?

mostly network settings, and command center settings.

but problem like this i usually rule out network. Because sometimes even a simple improperly made pdf will expand to atleast 10 times its actual size(have seen 100x), that can slow everything down.

But since there's 4501 in the same office, i'd cross check driver and emulation as pointed out.

Kyo fan
05-04-2015, 10:45 AM
U021 can help in some cases, but i don't like it cause it wipes out event log, and i always like to see some of the machine's history.

tmaged
05-04-2015, 03:58 PM
I backed everything up, executed U024 & U021, the reloaded everything. It seemed to work fine after that. Hopefully it's resolved & this helps someone else.
Thanks for everyone's input.

blackcat4866
05-05-2015, 02:53 AM
Congratulations! Thanks for posting back. =^..^=

Custom Search