PDA

View Full Version : C451 Faint line printing issues!

Custom Search

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 07:11 PM
Please help!! I have a C451 that has started to print faint red lines down the length of the page. First, I cleaned the fuser area of toner dust with a lint free cloth. That seemed to fix the issue for a small number of card stock prints. However, when I went to print again from Tray #2, the issue came up again. The lines only show up on the side of the paper that is being printed on. If I do one sided printing the non printed side of the paper is completely clear. If I do two-sided printing the lines show up on each side of the paper. I have attached a few pictures to illustrate the issue. If you need me to take better pictures I can do so (My camera is kinda dated, Sorry lol!). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

darry1322
05-31-2015, 07:22 PM
Most likely a problem with the magenta image unit. What is the life on that unit?

Use the cleaning rod to clean the charge unit on the magenta unit. May as well clean the others as well.

totoro
05-31-2015, 07:24 PM
I don't work on this product , but the first thing I would check would be the magenta drum and developer units. Does it do this on B\W prints?

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 07:32 PM
Most likely a problem with the magenta image unit. What is the life on that unit?

Use the cleaning rod to clean the charge unit on the magenta unit. May as well clean the others as well.

I thought a picture would be best to show you :) Should still have some life left in it. Im cleaning the imaging unit now. . Will see how it works in a bit. . .

darry1322
05-31-2015, 07:37 PM
That shows plenty of life should be left in the unit (assuming it hasn't been reset ).

The cleaning rod for the charge unit is the one that stays in the image unit. You simply pull the rod out of the front of the IU until it stops and then slide it back in. Do that three or four times to clean the charge unit for each image unit. The rod that is in the top of the paper tray is for cleaning the writing unit and would be used in case of light streaks.

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 07:40 PM
I don't work on this product , but the first thing I would check would be the magenta drum and developer units. Does it do this on B\W prints?

I just tried it. The lines don't appear on the B/W prints. . .

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 07:56 PM
That shows plenty of life should be left in the unit (assuming it hasn't been reset ).

The cleaning rod for the charge unit is the one that stays in the image unit. You simply pull the rod out of the front of the IU until it stops and then slide it back in. Do that three or four times to clean the charge unit for each image unit. The rod that is in the top of the paper tray is for cleaning the writing unit and would be used in case of light streaks.

I ran the cleaning rod in the magenta image unit and also in the other units as well. When I ran the test page, the streaks are still there. :confused:

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 08:02 PM
I ran the cleaning rod in the magenta image unit and also in the other units as well. When I ran the test page, the streaks are still there. :confused:

There was no trace of magenta toner on the cleaning rod once I took it out. The pictures were taken after I cleaned the image units.

darry1322
05-31-2015, 08:02 PM
I would replace the magenta image unit.

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 08:08 PM
I would replace the magenta image unit.

Is there any other way to clean it before I purchase a new one?

darry1322
05-31-2015, 08:28 PM
You could likely disassemble the IU to better clean the charge unit.
The grid and charge wire need to be completely clean to avoid dark streaks.
While the rod gives them a decent cleaning, it's probably inefficient for a really dirty grid or wire.
We've always just replaced units when needed.

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 09:06 PM
You could likely disassemble the IU to better clean the charge unit.
The grid and charge wire need to be completely clean to avoid dark streaks.
While the rod gives them a decent cleaning, it's probably inefficient for a really dirty grid or wire.
We've always just replaced units when needed.

Hmmmm, interesting. I may just try to disassemble it today and if it doesn't work, then I'll buy a new one anyway. :) What does the the grid and charge wire look like so I know what areas to clean? Google searching it now. . . . :)

blackcat4866
05-31-2015, 09:39 PM
The charge unit will look like a "C" shaped formed metal channel the length of the image unit, with plastic insulators at the opposite ends, and a very thin wire strung between the insulators. Clean the wire, grid, and "C" channel with alcohol and swabs. Be careful with the wire. If it breaks, you will definitely be buying an assembly. =^..^=

darry1322
05-31-2015, 10:13 PM
The wire is a VERY thin uninsulated wire about the size of a human hair.

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 10:22 PM
The charge unit will look like a "C" shaped formed metal channel the length of the image unit, with plastic insulators at the opposite ends, and a very thin wire strung between the insulators. Clean the wire, grid, and "C" channel with alcohol and swabs. Be careful with the wire. If it breaks, you will definitely be buying an assembly. =^..^=

Gotcha! Will try it today! Thank you!! :D

KonicaMinolta451user
05-31-2015, 10:23 PM
The wire is a VERY thin uninsulated wire about the size of a human hair.

Okay great. I'll be extra careful when handling it :)

KonicaMinolta451user
06-01-2015, 02:21 AM
Just disassembled the IU and had a bit of a hassle trying to fit it back together. When I ran a test page it still had the dark streaks. Perhaps I got some excess toner on the charge unit and grid after I cleaned it :P . Tomorrow I'll buy a new image unit :)

darry1322
06-01-2015, 02:27 AM
If the IU had been reset you may have a worn out drum which causes the same symptoms.

KonicaMinolta451user
06-01-2015, 02:35 AM
If the IU had been reset you may have a worn out drum which causes the same symptoms.

That makes sense. The streaks did appear in nearly the same pattern as before. If it was excess toner that was the cause, I think the streaking pattern would be different after I cleaned it.

Choclit007
06-01-2015, 09:30 PM
I always run the C-M-Y-K halftones at 50 to see how my units are doing especially with end of life messages suppressed.
The lines always start to show up in the halftones before the customer notices them.
In tech mode select Test Mode, Halftone Pattern, Clear button, 5, 0, C->M->Y->K, Start.

Custom Search