Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Brother fuser film grease

Anyone found a lasting grease for the fuser film on Brother printers that are using the DR-720?
    Everything I tried failed after short time.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Brother fuser film grease

Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Anyone found a lasting grease for the fuser film on Brother printers that are using the DR-720?
    Everything I tried failed after short time.
    the fuser come already greased up... you cannot get genuine fuser films... so where are you getting them ?
    and you do know that those fusers are only good for 100k... the heating resistors start failing after that

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    the fuser come already greased up... you cannot get genuine fuser films... so where are you getting them ?
    and you do know that those fusers are only good for 100k... the heating resistors start failing after that
    The problem with those fusers is that after 30k their original grease dried and all what I need to do is take the film out, clean the old grease and regrease, put back the film and it works fine (I did it many time), but only for short time then the high temp grease that I tried failed after a short time (I tried 4 types), even the uniflor grease that I'm using for years on hp films failed.

The new replacement fuser from Brother should take care of the problem (that what they said - we will see), but why to pay $150 when all what it needs is a new grease.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Have you tried Molycote HP-500? It's expensive, and the best high temp grease that I've used.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

The problem with those fusers is that after 30k their original grease dried and all what I need to do is take the film out, clean the old grease and regrease, put back the film and it works fine (I did it many time), but only for short time then the high temp grease that I tried failed after a short time (I tried 4 types), even the uniflor grease that I'm using for years on hp films failed.

The new replacement fuser from Brother should take care of the problem (that what they said - we will see), but why to pay $150 when all what it needs is a new grease.
    ok..sorry am a certified tech..and most times my customer understand the warranty on the fuser is out ( and are willing to pay..)

but I am willing to try and save non contract customers ( only service manager .. don't get to decide if customer has to pay ** DESPITE guidelines set up 5 years ago... and don't get me started on the "Barter" customers)

did you keep records on how many pages each grease passed before failure? which one worked best?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    ok..sorry am a certified tech..and most times my customer understand the warranty on the fuser is out ( and are willing to pay..)

but I am willing to try and save non contract customers ( only service manager .. don't get to decide if customer has to pay ** DESPITE guidelines set up 5 years ago... and don't get me started on the "Barter" customers)

did you keep records on how many pages each grease passed before failure? which one worked best?

The longest it works was 3-4 weeks with a blue grease I got from a motorcycle mechanic, I need to check the name, but it didn't last long enough.

Symptoms for dry grease start with lighter and fuzzy print, it will detorriate to smears and jams.

Technician

The longest it works was 3-4 weeks with a blue grease I got from a motorcycle mechanic, I need to check the name, but it didn't last long enough.

Symptoms for dry grease start with lighter and fuzzy print, it will detorriate to smears and jams.
    I have Grease for these fusers. Printer Spare Parts by Fix It Fast Brisbane Australia

Application is different to hp/canon as the heater is metal and not ceramic. The heating element is a traditional halogen lamp covered by a metal plate. All done to avoid Canons precious patent. The units are plagued with film stalling problems as the original grease isn't applied properly (or enough) at the factory. You need to grease the heater plate and the inside of the film 1.5 inches in each end after cleaning everything with turpentine.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

You are wasting your time using anything but proper fuser grease like what blackcat recommended.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

We provide our customers with the same silicone grease as HP. This machine uses a metal film, right? Now many of our customers have replaced the fixing film with DR3400, which is resin type.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Sometimes it's not just the grease but also the pressure plate causing too much friction even with lubrication.