Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

MFC L 2710 DW scanner wont work in PDF just JPEG on mac

HI all, the machine was working fine for months. and the copies are good. but now when they scan, either on the adf or glass, if they are using PDF format, its either hyroglific, or just some smeared lines or marks.

when i switch it to JPEG, it seems to work fine, but the scan to folder doesn't have an option for a multi page scan to show up in one folder.

they are using mac OS Mojave 10.14.6. the brother site 10.14.

i was there last week and i downloaded the latest firmware and it suddenly worked. but the customer said it was because i inadvertently switched it to JPEG.
    today i had them reboot both the computer and the copier, and same thing. i changed the network cable and no change.

I called Brother tech support today and it said a ten minute wait. after 40 minutes i had to go take calls.

does anyone have any idea what is causing the problem??

thank you so much, Jim

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: MFC L 2710 DW scanner wont work in PDF just JPEG on mac

Jim, few ideas come to mind:

1. Test it to scan via USB cable.
    2. Scan via Brother app Control Center.
    3. Scan using any other imaging program like Paint, IrfanView, etc.
    4. Scan 2-sided document from ADF in PDF, one side of document is scanned via FIRST SIDE CIS,
    another from SECOND SIDE CIS.

5. Wait for Phil B help...may be the first actually

Post your findings here and we can narrow your problem down.

Good luck
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

ok, i will check all that. i am going back after my next cal/ stop.

i was finally able to get thru to Brother tech support and they told me to try deleting the print and scan drivers, and reload.

so, i will post the outcome later.

have a great day, Jim

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MFC L 2710 DW scanner wont work in PDF just JPEG on mac

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    ok, i will check all that. i am going back after my next cal/ stop.

i was finally able to get thru to Brother tech support and they told me to try deleting the print and scan drivers, and reload.

so, i will post the outcome later.

have a great day, Jim
    +1 to the suggestions from tsb

yes to the brother also...

IF I'm not mistaken ( don't have manuals on this laptop) there should be a setting for the different scan formats.

the scan drivers should be the one that controls the scan.. print shouldn't have much to do with it.

I check later to see if I have the manual... do you have it?

ok, i went back and spent an hour and a half following Brothers emailed instructions to delete the printer and scaner drivers from the mac.

i deleted the files in the HDD. there ws still a printer icon shortcut in the lower task bar.
    but after i downloaded the new driver, and the iprint and scan, that printer icon would allow a clean PDF. but the old icon was there and if i clicked on that, the PDF was still corrupted.

i deleted that old icon from the task bar to stop the customer from using it. but at that point, i found all the files on the HDD previously deleted under
    Go/ Computer (mac HDD)/ Library/ printers/ PPD's/ Contents/ Resources and drag all the Brother xxx-xxxx COPS.gz files and Brother xxx.xxxx.gz into the trash bin. and rebooted computer.

so i deleted them again but didn't have time to reboot.

with the old scan utility, there was a user choice to select all scanned documents from a job into one folder, or not.

with iprint and scan i cant find that choice.

and of course the customer wants it....

i tried calling Brother tech support several times at that point, and there was either a busy signal, or "the number you have dialed is no longer in service"

thank you guys, Jim

Hi guys, hope you all had a great weekend.

Brothers fix is to use iprint and scan app on the macs with this problem.
    then o googled it and there was apparently an apple update that caused the mess, and a patch that came out 8/27/19.

i haven't checked that on the mac as the customer has been away and i emailed him to ask his IT person to find and install it.kinda gets me off the hook. the customer said now he cant scan multiple documents into one file. Brother said on the iprint and scan window, click the "add document" and then save and it would. i haven't checked.

Phil, i don't think i have the manual, but will check my source and see if they do.

thanks for all the help. have a nice day, Jim