Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MFC-L8690CDW Fuser Issue (Common Problem?)

Hi all

We don't normally deal with Brother machines, but an existing customer has a few of these and asked us to investigate...

Customer has 3 x Brother MFC-L8690CDW on site. Every machine has the same problem.

About 1cm wide of teflon has worn off the hot roller, the strange thing is it is in the exact same position on every machine. Is there a know issue with these fusers?

The fuser will have to be replaced on all 3, the part number is D00C55001, is this fault likely to recur? Would there be a revised fuser unit that addresses this fault? Any bulletins?

The machines aren't 2 years old yet. Would this be something that might be under Brothers warranty?

Thanks!

J
    Everything that has a beginning, has an end.....

Re: MFC-L8690CDW Fuser Issue (Common Problem?)

Will not be under warranty Brother only give 12 Months
    Check life of fuser by printing the user settings report off. Remaining life should be blacked or shaded in.

Is customer using preprinted stationary in the machine and if so I would guess the logo is probably on the plain where the wear has occured.
    Seen this on various different low end printers, the teflon appears to react against the printed ink and either wear away or coat up and offset the image.

This will not help you though as the only answer is to replace the fusers now, but you could get them to print the whole thing from P.C including their logo thus avoiding having to use preprinted in future

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Fusers for MFC-L8690CDW from updated 08/26/2019 parts list are:

D01CEC001 1 FUSER UNIT 115V G(SP) FOR USA/CAN/TWN
    D01CED001 1 FUSER UNIT 230V G(SP) FOR GER/UK/ARL/SWI/ITA/IBE/CHN/ARG/CHL/ASA/GULF/KOR/RUS/FRA/BEL/NLD/ARL/NZ/PND/rgEU/CEE
    D01CEF001 1 FUSER UNIT 127V G(SP) FOR BRA

I have seen this on different Brother models, but not very often, clearly using generic toner may affect teflon on heat rollers.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    Will not be under warranty Brother only give 12 Months
    Check life of fuser by printing the user settings report off. Remaining life should be blacked or shaded in.
    Is customer using preprinted stationary in the machine and if so I would guess the logo is probably on the plain where the wear has occured.
    Seen this on various different low end printers, the teflon appears to react against the printed ink and either wear away or coat up and offset the image.
    This will not help you though as the only answer is to replace the fusers now, but you could get them to print the whole thing from P.C including their logo thus avoiding having to use preprinted in future
    +2 on this problem.
    yes it is out of warranty.

yes it WAS a known issue on this series ... only recourse is to replace the fusers.
    Another thing I found to be a cause it the T belt under drums.. if worn or the waste cleaner is full that can cause it,
    along with 3rd party toners/drums

Technician

The picker fingers on that section of the fuser can be set too hard at the factory causing dig in to the black roller surface. I have replaced countless numbers of these fusers only to quickly have the problem reoccur. Check all finger spring tension on all new fusers before install. I have upper rollers available to repair the unit available here Brother Printer Spare Parts by Fix It Fast Brisbane Australia -Free Worldwide Postage Crappy mpt toner cartridges can also cause the roller to tear, when this toner melts it has a pulling action against the roller surface. In other parts of the world where people write right to left it occurs to the other side of the roller. Despite these problems the printers are still way better than what hp are putting out these days and way easier to fix.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixitfast View Post
    The picker fingers on that section of the fuser can be set too hard at the factory causing dig in to the black roller surface. I have replaced countless numbers of these fusers only to quickly have the problem reoccur. Check all finger spring tension on all new fusers before install. I have upper rollers available to repair the unit available here Brother Printer Spare Parts by Fix It Fast Brisbane Australia -Free Worldwide Postage Crappy mpt toner cartridges can also cause the roller to tear, when this toner melts it has a pulling action against the roller surface. In other parts of the world where people write right to left it occurs to the other side of the roller. Despite these problems the printers are still way better than what hp are putting out these days and way easier to fix.
    great how much for next day RED to NC?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    great how much for next day RED to NC?

We only do standard International shipping and it takes between 7 and 14 days to get to you.