Technician

Model MFCL6900DW Smudging

I have several MFCL6900DW machines that are smudging prints. It appears to be fuser offset. If I set the default to thick paper the smudging stops. The problem with that is it slows the machine down.
    I have checked the service manual and there are no adjustments for fixing temperature.
    Thanks

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Model MFCL6900DW Smudging

You didn't mention fuser life count, nor what type of toner they use. Generally speaking if teflon film(sleeve) is worn you have no choise.
    Mine devices are using only OEM toners and fusers seems to go round their life at 200k.
    Of course nobody can stop them using CR.P paper that also is major contributor to overall machine parts wear.
    I hear from Brother those fusers are tested and may do double life, but no way in real world
    Imho those are very good devices, very reliable and easy to maintain plus superior support from Brother, I just dreamed my fleet of A3 devices KonMin have such support.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    You didn't mention fuser life count, nor what type of toner they use. Generally speaking if teflon film(sleeve) is worn you have no choise.
    Mine devices are using only OEM toners and fusers seems to go round their life at 200k.
    Of course nobody can stop them using CR.P paper that also is major contributor to overall machine parts wear.
    I hear from Brother those fusers are tested and may do double life, but no way in real world
    Imho those are very good devices, very reliable and easy to maintain plus superior support from Brother, I just dreamed my fleet of A3 devices KonMin have such support.
    TSB,

+2 on this.

I haven't found ANY compatible toners/drums that have ANY reliability what so ever.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiesdad2 View Post
    I have several MFCL6900DW machines that are smudging prints. It appears to be fuser offset. If I set the default to thick paper the smudging stops. The problem with that is it slows the machine down.
    I have checked the service manual and there are no adjustments for fixing temperature.
    Thanks
    I have seen this quite often on DCP8155 and others that use the same fuser as dcp8155. You can take the fuser out then take the fixing film off and clean all the old grease off the heat element and re-grease it, I use the same grease as I do on HP fusers. I have had good success doing this although the length of time they last afterwards varies and depends on the life of the fuser.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

paper type? paper settings?