MFC-8420 horizontal streaking

I've had this unit maybe about 10 years, mostly only use it as a copier. Very very light usage. At the beginning of the year I used it quite a bit more, 10-15 pages several times a day. Worked flawlessly. I hadn't used it for about two weeks, then next use the copies are terrible. Very bad horizontal streaking. Any ideas? I do have another unopened cartridge, but I don't think that's the issue. Has the drum gone out?

I've attached a scan of a now typical copy. Scanned with a different scanner, not the unit in question.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ramack; 03-03-2020 at 04:54 AM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: MFC-8420 horizontal straking

Looks like it's time for a new drum unit. Open the MFC and clean all toner you can see especially from contacts for charging, grounding etc. Look at drum(cylinder), if looks discolored or scratched or bandings on it, then you have to replace drum.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Re: MFC-8420 horizontal straking

That looks like the CCD has failed to me. Do an engine print or report and if that is o.k then it's CCD. Also if you can scan to PC then scans will be affected . So easy to troubleshoot . If it is CCD then it's probably time for a new machine.

Hope this helps

Re: MFC-8420 horizontal streaking

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try that next. I have replaced the cartridge, that didn't change anything. I didn't think it would, but just trying obvious stuff first.

Ah, the CCD. ( I didn't know what was, so I had to look it up). That sound like the issue, yes. The drum doesn't look scratched or bad and the way it just "stopped" working seems more electrical than mechanical. I'll try the engine print test.

Thanks,
    Last edited by ramack; 03-04-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Ok, so I just printed a configuration setup from the menu. It was perfect, very clear and crisp.

Yeah, time to scrap the mfc. Initial price searches are+$200, it's not worth that much for sure. Dang, it's been a great machine!