Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question MFC-L3770CDW Non-OEM Toner issues

I had a customer recently bring in a Brother MFC-L3770CDW, stating that the generic (Non-OEM) TN227 (black) toner we supplied him did not work in his machine. After messing around with it for a bit, I updated the firmware thinking that the firmware version on the machine might be in conflict with the chip on the toner. The firmware was on version 1.56, so I updated it to 1.59. After updating, it went from saying "Replace Toner" to "No Toner". I went in to maintenance mode, and it gave a 2500 error (cannot communicate with black cartridge chip). I reset the black toner, swapped out the cartridge, and restarted the machine but that did not work. I unfortunately do not have an OEM toner at this time, so I was not able to test if switching to an OEM would fix it. Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this before? Any advice is appreciated.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: MFC-L3770CDW Non-OEM Toner issues

Lol 😅 you sell customer crap toner and moan why isn't working.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MFC-L3770CDW Non-OEM Toner issues

Gave up selling generic brother toner, way too many issues with them (now). Had sold them for many years, no problems, but recently, the quality of the cartridges is just poor. From leakage, to quality, to yield, not worth the profit/time, ect. Now just tell em to buy from the usual places.

And they are not cheap, and the oem yield also is very poor.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FRJ View Post
    I had a customer recently bring in a Brother MFC-L3770CDW, stating that the generic (Non-OEM) TN227 (black) toner we supplied him did not work in his machine. After messing around with it for a bit, I updated the firmware thinking that the firmware version on the machine might be in conflict with the chip on the toner. The firmware was on version 1.56, so I updated it to 1.59. After updating, it went from saying "Replace Toner" to "No Toner". I went in to maintenance mode, and it gave a 2500 error (cannot communicate with black cartridge chip). I reset the black toner, swapped out the cartridge, and restarted the machine but that did not work. I unfortunately do not have an OEM toner at this time, so I was not able to test if switching to an OEM would fix it. Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this before? Any advice is appreciated.
    look for the old firmware if you want to continue with dirty toners and hope you accept them

We have the same problem, I hope someone can help us.life insurance companies

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MadelSmith View Post
    We have the same problem, I hope someone can help us.life insurance companies
    if you update the firmware using non-genuine toners you may have problems and in any case not all remanufactured drum or toner cartridges will work the same way.

Cool Re: MFC-L3770CDW Non-OEM Toner issues

Atlanta Engagement & Couples Photographer
    To avoid having this issue, just avoid using fake toners and go for the genuine ones. Obligations as an Insured

tampa screen repair

Maybe that toner is not fake, maybe is recycled what is totally legal and people must to use them as they are friendly for environment. Even OEM work with remany companies to save nature and planet. If people like copier tech lead this we would sleep on plastic waste which cannot be resolved in dirt for 3000 year! It is problem in poor remany work. People just filling toners without any expertise and knowledge and tests as well.

Regarding issue which you people see. It is not a Firmware problem. The new Brother have chip and reset. Chip is just a counters. Every chip have battery and that battery die. Replace battery or use new chip will solve problems.

First, to reset this one, you must know how to do it. I would like to see how reseted cartridge look and I will send advise. So, please post some picture of cartridge.

If none of them work, cartridge is broken, something missing or manufacture is bad.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

WE are having a hard time getting anything from Brother.Crap toner is better than nothing.

No need to be crap. Using crap toner you can kill printer(not kill but you will repair a lot). You are in UK so just search big brands. Xerox have remany cartridges for Brother or Data product... They are ok 100%.