Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Brother HL-3170CDW won't print wirelessly

I bought a used HL-3170CDW printer that has a very low page count. I can connect it wirelessly, the software finds the printer just fine and shows the toner levels, but it refuses to print. My Brother HL-3140CDW prints just fine. I have tried connecting the new printer with various means, from multiple PCs, and I have done a firmware update, but it refuses to print wirelessly. It comes back with error printing to device. I can connect it via USB, and it prints just fine. Any ideas?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Brother HL-3170CDW won't print wirelessly

Quote Originally Posted by radlee View Post
    I bought a used HL-3170CDW printer that has a very low page count. I can connect it wirelessly, the software finds the printer just fine and shows the toner levels, but it refuses to print. My Brother HL-3140CDW prints just fine. I have tried connecting the new printer with various means, from multiple PCs, and I have done a firmware update, but it refuses to print wirelessly. It comes back with error printing to device. I can connect it via USB, and it prints just fine. Any ideas?
    Do clean install of whole software package from Brother site on PC where 3140 was never installed.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Do clean install of whole software package from Brother site on PC where 3140 was never installed.
    Hi,

Yes, and I also tried on a clean install on a PC that I I had never set up either printer on. Still no joy.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Turn off APIPA in network settings sometimes it causes problems.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Self-Taught

What OS/computer? I know that if you have multiple brother drivers installed sometimes stuff gets screwy. Also, it will be good to know the printer's IP address. If you can't hit the web ui with the printer IP, you won't be able to print to it...