• 20-30 Years

231 31.13%
  • 30 + Years

142 19.14%
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    How Long Servicing Office Equipment

Re: How Long Servicing Office Equipment

1991: Started making copies on a Xerox 7000 and a Xerox 3600.
    1994: Started servicing Canon NP and CLC series copiers, and then all I could put my hands on, Ricoh, Minolta, Kyocera, HP, Brother...

32 Years...too F-ing long

Cool Re: How Long Servicing Office Equipment

32 years next month
    just sold my own business i built up from scratch -- after 22 years
    built it up to be desirable
    took some serious cash and still working for the wife to have health insurance
    until... next year when I jump ship to retirement and move the heck away from the west coast liberals
    Techie

Technician

Coming up on 20 years. Field Supervisor now. Don't think I'd still be doing it if I had to be out in the field every single day, all day. Now it's just when we are really busy or there is some real pain ITA problem. That's enough for me. While it's been a decent job for me I would NOT advise any young people to get into it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: How Long Servicing Office Equipment

Forty five years and still kicking. Started in 1974 servicing IBM Selectric then IBM copier 1. Only 1 red flag on Copytechnet to date. Had six bypass operation and still servicing every day. Work to you die.

Technician

I didn't know this thread was still going. I think I may have posted to it a year or so ago, but decided to make another entry anyway. I've been a copier tech for over 51 years. Started with Xerox in September 1968 on the first Monday out of the Army. I owned my own business for about 12 years in the 1980s, but didn't like the pressure of making payroll and the California regulations. Sold it and went to work for Bay Microfilm in the California Bay area. I was servicing Canon Micrographic equipment. They needed someone in the Valley to work part time. I agreed. In six month I was back to full time work. At first I was taking two or three service calls per day. But the business was dying in the central valley. After about 7 years I was only getting 2 or 3 service call every two weeks. So the inevitable happened. I was offered a job with them in the Sacramento area or the Bay area. I did not want to live in those areas. So I voluntarily resigned. I moved to the California Mojave Desert to be closer to my grandsons. It wasn't long before a Ricoh dealership heard that I was in the area and they offered me a job. That was in 2004, and I'm still working for them. Good people and a great company. I can't imagine leaving them. However, at 74 years old I am getting tired. I asked to go to part time and they agreed. So now I work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday only. After 51 years, I still love working on these machines.

I've been servicing office machines since early 70's. I've seen and serviced them all, from the pink and white sheet fed 3M machines ,to the ones on the market currently. It's been fun. Took part time retirement starting 2020.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgw71 View Post
    Coming up on 20 years. Field Supervisor now. Don't think I'd still be doing it if I had to be out in the field every single day, all day. Now it's just when we are really busy or there is some real pain ITA problem. That's enough for me. While it's been a decent job for me I would NOT advise any young people to get into it.

Why not advise young people to get into it? It's a good job for someone that does not want to sit at a desk every day.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Why not advise young people to get into it? It's a good job for someone that does not want to sit at a desk every day.
    When I first started doing this, I'd get my 5 or 6 calls on slips of message pad, then go off and do calls all day. I'd see my boss once a day in the morning for 10 or 15 minutes. If there was an emergency he would do some mental calculations, and call the customer I would theoretically be at.

Now-a-days, in an ordinary hour I'll get 10 emails, 10 texts. 4 phone calls, and I still have to do a one hour service call. I get perhaps 35 minutes of that hour to work. The thing I liked about this work is that I worked mostly alone. Not so much now.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I stated doing this in 1984 and yes, this job has changed a lot. Everything changes, you have just got to change and adapt to the new normal. I like the job because I like helping people. When we techs show up it's because something is keeping a customer from getting their job done, sometimes causing them a lot of stress. We are there to fix the issue which help relieve the stress and help them get through the day. They are happy to see me when I arrive, and happy to see me leave, because they know the machine is working and they can get on with their day.

A lot of techs think the job is fixing machines, I think it's more than that. The job is helping the customers with their pain points, helping them get through the day, it's just a different way of looking at it.