Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Going rate for mileage

Re: Going rate for mileage

Quote Originally Posted by brewster67 View Post
    The current federal mileage rate is 54.5 cents per mile. If you are paid less than that you can claim the difference as a deduction on your taxes. You would just have to have a record of your mileage and what you get paid for mileage.
    Only if you have enough deductions to itemize. Used to be you could claim the mileage deduction whether or not you itemize. Not anymore.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Going rate for mileage

Quote Originally Posted by pbbsinc View Post
    I pay my techs a rate that I adjust quarterly based on gas prices in my state (Florida) & the assumption that they get 25MPG (if they drive a hot rod, they come up short, & if they drive a Prius, they come out ahead).

Until yesterday, it was 32.32 cents /mile (based on $2.71/gal, & I just adjusted it today to 32.72 (based on $2.81/gal).

I pay for whatever tolls & parking they itemize as well.
    Does that include allowances for vehicle maintenance (oil and lube, tune up, etc) tire wear.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
    Only if you have enough deductions to itemize. Used to be you could claim the mileage deduction whether or not you itemize. Not anymore.
    Then there’s the issue of what the IRS considers to be “business miles”, compared to what your employer does.

Spoiler alert: It’s most likely a very different answer, and not in the good way.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Going rate for mileage

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Does that include allowances for vehicle maintenance (oil and lube, tune up, etc) tire wear.
    At the current price of $2.81/gallon, & assuming 25mpg, 11.24 cents/mile of the 32.7 cents/mile should pay for gas expenditures. The remaining 21.46cents/mile compensates for those expenses, depreciation, etc..

Technician

We have over 200 company vehicles. About 100 of them are for service. Every service and field IT technician get a vehicle plus 500 miles a month for personal usage, managers get 1500 miles. As a manager, I had to trade in my 2016 Malibu (71K) for a 2018 GMC Canyon! Our owner really cares about the employees, and there is a financial benefit to reducing your cash at the end of the year.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Going rate for mileage

Quote Originally Posted by brewster67 View Post
    The current federal mileage rate is 54.5 cents per mile. If you are paid less than that you can claim the difference as a deduction on your taxes. You would just have to have a record of your mileage and what you get paid for mileage.
    I was itemizing deductions till this year, now that the feds have doubled the standard deduction there is no way i'm even close to be able to claim the milage.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts itchyfinger@att.net's Avatar

i drive my own car. 2016 ford flex. my company gives each tech a company credit card that covers gas, maintenance, and tires. no complaints here

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Going rate for mileage

.47 cents per mile

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by itchyfinger@att.net View Post
    i drive my own car. 2016 ford flex. my company gives each tech a company credit card that covers gas, maintenance, and tires. no complaints here
    So do they treat it like their car, but you're paying for? If you blow an engine or transmission, who foots the bill, you, or them? Even with all you said, if they're putting miles on my vehicle, even with them paying for maintenance, I'd still want/need mileage pay. Maybe not .75, but something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk