View Poll Results: What age group are you in?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • 18-30

25 13.02%
  • 30-40

30 15.63%
  • 40-50

40 20.83%
  • 50+

97 50.52%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What age group are you in?

Re: What age group are you in?

I just turned 73 last month. I have been retire for about 4 years now. The last few years I was working, customers would ask how I could get down on my knees to work on their equipment. I would tell them that getting down was not a problem. The problem was getting up.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I just turned 73 last month. I have been retire for about 4 years now. The last few years I was working, customers would ask how I could get down on my knees to work on their equipment. I would tell them that getting down was not a problem. The problem was getting up.
    Hey, your brain is still in it's prime. I'll vouch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    amen brother

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

Started at 18yrs old when Selectric typewriters and Gestetner duplicators ruled. That was 37 years ago. The youngins don't know how much easier the machines are now to work on. Copiers would have vague error codes or a light to say door open. It is rare to use a meter now and even rarer to use a soldering iron. We would have to carry machines up flights of stairs that were as heavy as a vw bug. We used chemicals to clean machines that would give such a buzz...i would forget where I parked my car. Manuals would be in binders that filled half of the trunk. The office would have to buzz your pager if they wanted to get a hold of you. Through all that I miss the old days....customers were less demanding...the big companies ruined it by offering 4 hour service....now some are down to 1 hour guaranteed response. Customers are trained to demand immediate service. Cost per copy rates have dropped...seems like companies charge almost their cost just to get the accounts. I could rant for hours....have a good one guys and gals. Venom
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    Started at 18yrs old when Selectric typewriters and Gestetner duplicators ruled. That was 37 years ago. The youngins don't know how much easier the machines are now to work on. Copiers would have vague error codes or a light to say door open. It is rare to use a meter now and even rarer to use a soldering iron. We would have to carry machines up flights of stairs that were as heavy as a vw bug. We used chemicals to clean machines that would give such a buzz...i would forget where I parked my car. Manuals would be in binders that filled half of the trunk. The office would have to buzz your pager if they wanted to get a hold of you. Through all that I miss the old days....customers were less demanding...the big companies ruined it by offering 4 hour service....now some are down to 1 hour guaranteed response. Customers are trained to demand immediate service. Cost per copy rates have dropped...seems like companies charge almost their cost just to get the accounts. I could rant for hours....have a good one guys and gals. Venom
    BAAAM! Bullseye
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Started in '78 while in my last couple of years in HS (sh*t needed fixing and I needed cash). As noted above I too am a survivor of the Trichloroethane generation of screwdriver jockeys. Haven't turned on an O-scope in almost two decades but used to have three of them. Still dragging a tool bag around. Why? I dunno... masochistic tendencies?

MRS

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    Started in '78 while in my last couple of years in HS (sh*t needed fixing and I needed cash). As noted above I too am a survivor of the Trichloroethane generation of screwdriver jockeys. Haven't turned on an O-scope in almost two decades but used to have three of them. Still dragging a tool bag around. Why? I dunno... masochistic tendencies?

MRS
    The current owner of the company I retired from started out as a delivery boy while in high school.

Maybe I'm just remembering (or have forgotten?) the old days too fondly but with the new copiers, just the sheer volume of information that you must know is kind of staggering. Of course, 99% of my training has come from this site and I have no formal training on the new machines. I think I have it down now but it was a lot of damn work.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Maybe I'm just remembering (or have forgotten?) the old days too fondly but with the new copiers, just the sheer volume of information that you must know is kind of staggering. Of course, 99% of my training has come from this site and I have no formal training on the new machines. I think I have it down now but it was a lot of damn work.

Just have to treat them like what they are - a computer with a printer and a scanner attached. I guess I am fortunate in that while I specialized in printers and copiers from day one, I was also installing networks, repairing PC's, setting up servers, and even did a stint as the SysOp of a small ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    Just have to treat them like what they are - a computer with a printer and a scanner attached. I guess I am fortunate in that while I specialized in printers and copiers from day one, I was also installing networks, repairing PC's, setting up servers, and even did a stint as the SysOp of a small ISP.
    I was a SYSOP of the largest BBS's in Raleigh...

that was before the internet was cool.

BBS = Bulletin Board System send email... play games... have discussion area... files/pics

all via those old things known as analog modems