View Poll Results: What age group are you in?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • 18-30

25 13.02%
  • 30-40

30 15.63%
  • 40-50

40 20.83%
  • 50+

97 50.52%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: What age group are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    With a few notable exceptions I would expect the following categories:

Freshmen (0-3yrs): Starting from scratch, embarrassed by their lack of experience, unlikely to ask questions or participate.

Sophomore (3-7yrs): Comfortable with the equipment, feel like they already know everything so no need to ask questions or participate.

Juniors (7-15yrs): Have seen a few models they know well become obsolete, and have seen technology change enough to know that it is a moving target. Maybe it's time to admit that I don't know everything?

Seniors (15+yrs): Have forgotten more than the first three groups ever knew. Actually forgot almost everything. Definitely time to ask for some help.

The numbers might need some adjusting, but I think that covers the basic stages. =^..^=

Nailed it hehe. The young ones are just to busy being busy, mostly unnecessarily.
    Ai the nostalgia.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What age group are you in?

Under 30 here! Started when I was 24.

And BlackCat nailed it with the groupings, with the exception of not wanting to ask questions or participate. (No questions = no new knowledge).

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    With a few notable exceptions I would expect the following categories:

Freshmen (0-3yrs): Starting from scratch, embarrassed by their lack of experience, unlikely to ask questions or participate.

Sophomore (3-7yrs): Comfortable with the equipment, feel like they already know everything so no need to ask questions or participate.

Juniors (7-15yrs): Have seen a few models they know well become obsolete, and have seen technology change enough to know that it is a moving target. Maybe it's time to admit that I don't know everything?

Seniors (15+yrs): Have forgotten more than the first three groups ever knew. Actually forgot almost everything. Definitely time to ask for some help.

The numbers might need some adjusting, but I think that covers the basic stages. =^..^=
    LOL, good summary!

In my earlier years I was motivated to be the hero, being the go to guy, (get it done, do it now, whatever it takes) the Rambo of the tech scene. We didn't have the internet and you needed to be very independent.

Now I am more motivated, to get things done and move on to the next thing as efficiently as possible. Glory and accolades don't pay much (still nice to get though).
    I want the customer to get a quick response and resolution along with a positive & friendly overall experience.

So these forums to me are valuable in so many ways. They are a great resource of sharing, learning, community, and even entertainment.

I don't know if I really made my point very well, but to the younger people I would say, looking back I wish I had these forums available to me. They make it possible to save a lot of time that would be otherwise spent on research, troubleshooting, testing etc. It's better for you, you're company, and the customer to get timely, accurate information so you can resolve problems quickly.

I think the more seasoned people already get it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I started when I was 23, built PC's and worked a lot with my hands prior to getting in to this business. Started with the Ricoh MPC2500 generation, moving into Konica Minolta 4/8 series equipment. My co-workers started with the machines that used the conveyor belt/toaster oven system to bond the toner. (I never looked into them, seems too archaic to be a real thing that existed)

You will still find lost of Océ wide formats that use the toaster. If its been off for some time it gives of a puff of smoke on startup.
    Oldest machine i worked on was a Ricoh that used a flash bulb to expose the image at once on a photo sensitive belt had this weird camera lens that looks like one of those first cameras.

Sure the older guys would know these.
    Whatever

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Oldest machine i worked on was a Ricoh that used a flash bulb to expose the image at once on a photo sensitive belt had this weird camera lens that looks like one of those first cameras.

Sure the older guys would know these.
    I've seen a few, but no idea how they worked.

A customer would drag one of these things out of the closet and ask me how it worked. I sure don't know. It's no technology I've ever seen. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Does "OLD" qualify as an "Age Group"??

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I'm old enough to remember working on the pressure fusing machines. No heat. Just two big shiny rollers and lots of pressure. Made the copies look like magazines.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DougMoney View Post
    I'm old enough to remember working on the pressure fusing machines. No heat. Just two big shiny rollers and lots of pressure. Made the copies look like magazines.
    You know what this was a great process, standard 80gsm paper end result glossy! Those fusers never went wrong!

Cold pressure fusing is the way forward IMO
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Does "OLD" qualify as an "Age Group"??
    How about “Don’t Remember”?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins