Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Feasibility of old Analog Copiers for non-profits, clubs, churches, low/no budget org

So my curious discussion point is what are your thoughts on the feasibility of a non-profit, church, club, or low and/or no budget organizations still hanging on to and using old Analog copiers?

Why this came about: I still on rare occasion see a small business or church, etc. with and old but apparently functional analog copier being used. The latest I had seen was an event at the old church I grew up going to and they still had a very old Mita analog copier. I forget the model, probably a 17 or DC 17 something or other with the old moving glass platens with a document feeder on it as well - and apparently duplexing. I remember thinking, gee that's old and still here. Later we got back to my mothers and I had seen a copy of the latest church bulletin and sure enough in all its not so crisp but still readable glory, they are still using that old beast to copy their weekly bulletins, among other things.

It got me thinking, parts and supplies on many of these old analogs are pretty non-existent...but what I think happens is they have a stockpile of toner and/or have such a low toner consumption rate (really they probably do maybe 100 copies a week I'd guess and all text at that) so as long as the machine technically works, then why not. Otherwise they'd need a donation or a few hundred bucks for something else.

I have read where some of the larger dealers have hundreds of off lease machines so they just donate/give them to nonprofits - I don't know if they require a service agreement or not...but even still it seems some organizations just don't upgrade. Maybe because I've been around the "latest and greatest - or not so great" new stuff that I've been spoiled and just assumed everyone would kind of naturally upgrade old equipment.

So again I guess out of curiosity what are your thoughts, if any, on these organizations not getting into even the early day digital machines?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Feasibility of old Analog Copiers for non-profits, clubs, churches, low/no budget org

Re: Feasibility of old Analog Copiers for non-profits, clubs, churches, low/no budget

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    So my curious discussion point is what are your thoughts on the feasibility of a non-profit, church, club, or low and/or no budget organizations still hanging on to and using old Analog copiers?
    Why this came about: I still on rare occasion see a small business or church, etc. with and old but apparently functional analog copier being used. The latest I had seen was an event at the old church I grew up going to and they still had a very old Mita analog copier. I forget the model, probably a 17 or DC 17 something or other with the old moving glass platens with a document feeder on it as well - and apparently duplexing. I remember thinking, gee that's old and still here. Later we got back to my mothers and I had seen a copy of the latest church bulletin and sure enough in all its not so crisp but still readable glory, they are still using that old beast to copy their weekly bulletins, among other things.
    It got me thinking, parts and supplies on many of these old analogs are pretty non-existent...but what I think happens is they have a stockpile of toner and/or have such a low toner consumption rate (really they probably do maybe 100 copies a week I'd guess and all text at that) so as long as the machine technically works, then why not. Otherwise they'd need a donation or a few hundred bucks for something else.
    I have read where some of the larger dealers have hundreds of off lease machines so they just donate/give them to nonprofits - I don't know if they require a service agreement or not...but even still it seems some organizations just don't upgrade. Maybe because I've been around the "latest and greatest - or not so great" new stuff that I've been spoiled and just assumed everyone would kind of naturally upgrade old equipment.
    So again I guess out of curiosity what are your thoughts, if any, on these organizations not getting into even the early day digital machines?

run forest R U N! yes parts aren't available unless scrappers ( why keep that old crap?)

supplies same.

I wouldn't do it.

that'll be 2 pennies please

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Feasibility of old Analog Copiers for non-profits, clubs, churches, low/no budget

I saw this just last week. Toshiba eS3530C with a dead HVT. "But we just bought it last week from another company, and it seemed to be working fine ..."

I had to tell the 7-year parable that we all know so well (this one is at 10 years) and next month the toner goes away forever. Even if we could fix it ... would I be doing you a favor by doing so?

The only way I see useful life in these obsolete machines is if you are renting per copy by the month. You can stock up on corpses to recover parts from, then when you can't fix it toss it and move in the next POS at the same rate. It's a good way to use up that over-buy of Kyocera KM-5050 toner and drums. Just my 2 cents ...
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Get them a use digital machine, plenty of good ones around.
    Old analog need to be retired

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Get them a use digital machine, plenty of good ones around.
    Old analog need to be retired
    Not necessarily. I still see good old analog Toshiba 13xx series around. I can fix them for another 5 years just by cleaning and using junk yard. Those are ideal for charity, they are small, bulletproof and reliable.
    Customers love them.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    My company has some pretty old crap but nothing analog. I see it usually in smaller ma and pop places that are riding out till death or retirement. They will not upgrade. And the last thing they want is to learn something new.

We also donate machines but not anything that far gone. Remember even though many machines are "end of life" you can still get genuine parts and supplies for many years.

By the way, weren't you a more frequent poster that went dark for a while? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else but I thought you were a youngish entrepreneur-type and I'm glad you're still around thinking about these things. I am in a similar position. I plan on having toner in my snot for like next 30 years.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    My company has some pretty old crap but nothing analog. I see it usually in smaller ma and pop places that are riding out till death or retirement. They will not upgrade. And the last thing they want is to learn something new.

We also donate machines but not anything that far gone. Remember even though many machines are "end of life" you can still get genuine parts and supplies for many years.

By the way, weren't you a more frequent poster that went dark for a while? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else but I thought you were a youngish entrepreneur-type and I'm glad you're still around thinking about these things. I am in a similar position. I plan on having toner in my snot for like next 30 years.

Yeah that would be me. Been off the grid for a while, getting into different industries and what not. Not completely out of the equipment/technology but winding down a lot from it and pursuing other interests.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

AS I ve been selling used machines for 35 years this is what I see.
    If I get an account and the machine is more than 6 years old I try to upgrade them.
    If they need small common parts I will repair them.
    If they need a board,fuser,set of drums or any big items I try to show them that buying a low meter lease return is the way to go..Some get it and other will not..
    What can happen is after spending 300 to 600 dollars the account expects the machine to run another 10 years
    I just had a law firm where the accountant/office manager insisted i repair
    her 14 yr old hp4200 printer.I could have placed a newer printer there for the same cost of repair but
    I ordered a kit and repaired it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Unless there is at least $25.00 per month recurring revenue from any account, parts not included, you are not doing yourself any favors in trying to keep a discontinued copier going.

If some charity is super low volume, they can buy from Staples or Walmart or some place online.