Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    How's business?? Any other 1-man copier servicers dying out here??

Re: How's business?? Any other 1-man copier servicers dying out here??

I recommend anyone going out on their own. Especially if younger and you have a spouse that has health insurance where they work and you can get on that. Give it a shot, can always go back to work for a comapny and keep some accounts from your business for side money.

There are big companies that will buy your active accounts, probably won't offer what you think they are worth but if you are closing business any amount is better than nothing! But that is not the reason you start a business.

There is still plenty of copier business out there! Don't let this "becoming paperless" myth bother you. I actually see more paper now than ever!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

About half of my calls these days are network related. Can't print. Can't scan. We just got a new router and the copier is not printing or scanning. I find networking more interesting then replacing feed rollers. I tend to give my customers a discount on network stuff if they have a service plan on the copier. They appreciate that. Get a certification if possible. I'm microsoft certified on networking and I put it on my business card. If a potential customer is not sure about your company. Give out some names of existing customers (with their permission) so your prospect can call them and ask them how well your company takes care of them. Looks like you have some homework to do.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adecanmin View Post
    I've had good luck selling used copiers. At one time there was a big difference between the new stuff over the used. Not so much anymore. It can save the customer a ton of money. The dealerships are wired to sell new stuff. Of course the customer is going to want a service plan with the used copier because a used copier may need a little more service than a new one. There are still opportunities out there. You just have to work a little harder to find them. The original poster did not mention having a website for his business. Mine is optimized so I'm on page one of most searches related to copier and printer repair.
    I do have a site, but much like being my own lawyer, i built it myself. Mine ranks high in the unpaid search results as well, but most people calling are home offices with tiny machines. 1 out of 50 of them doesn't have a bad fuser or supplies and is actually worth them paying me to come out and fix. There is A TON of competition here in WA.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

The location I am in there is No excuse for me.

I plan to take some of your suggestions of assessing areas and then implementing the ones I can.

I took a business loan and bought a small printer repair company, few years back. The best investment I ever made from the ones that didn’t PAN OUT. I was in the right place and the right time.

I have kept contact with some small guys that I like ,we help each other out, service calls or just jabbering.
    MJUNKAGED , Hang in there, don’t give up, things will start to turn around. Plus as mentioned already, this tends to be a slow time right before all the orders come in at the end of the year, be ready.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day,Teach a man to fish he eats for a Life time.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have no regrets striking out on my own all those years ago. A bad day working for yourself is better then a good day working for someone else. It can be tough when you're not feeling well and have service calls. But you power through it. I make the most of my weekends as far as days off. Sometimes I can take a Friday off for a nice three day weekend. If you have a problem customer you can part ways. If you have a problem boss you have to quit your job to cure the situation.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Here is a motivational read. Tried and true by one of the people I consider a success that did things his way... a true entrepreneur Steve Jobs Said 1 Thing Separates Successful People From Everyone Else (and Will Make All the Difference In Your Life). I hope this helps you and everyone that decided to give the middle finger to the security of corporate way and are doing it their way, learning from mistakes and not letting the system beat them down. You have a talent, it may not be easy, you may work waay harder than a 9 to 5, but at the end of the day...it's yours!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Been in business for over 31 years, working in copiers and everything in between for 34 years. Volumes are down, at least 1 piece of equipment will always be needed in business environment, varied by what they do. It's been tough at times, but, you have to adjust what you sell, how you sell, to who you sell, when to say "sorry, can't help you" Have to open new avenues for revenue to come in, always have to change product, accommodate the needs of your customers, quality of product, price to stay competitive (with the Amazons of this business) Not an easy business, but, when said and done, wouldn't trade it for any other job. Has a very good for us, have my son help now for about 15 years, have my grandson involved part time. Have many loyal customers for 10, 15, 20, a couple over 30 years now, to start a copier business now would be a very challenging task, diffidently not recommended. Good luck to all indies. God Bless America!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I recommend anyone going out on their own. Especially if younger and you have a spouse that has health insurance where they work and you can get on that. Give it a shot, can always go back to work for a comapny and keep some accounts from your business for side money.

There are big companies that will buy your active accounts, probably won't offer what you think they are worth but if you are closing business any amount is better than nothing! But that is not the reason you start a business.

There is still plenty of copier business out there! Don't let this "becoming paperless" myth bother you. I actually see more paper now than ever!
    I agree with you with one exception. You should team up with a talented, hungry sales rep.

Putzing around repairing machines is a great blue collar lifestyle but won't make you wealthy.

Field service tech. 100+ Posts Froota's Avatar

The market is evolving and you have to adapt, if not, your boat is going to sink, not only in the printing branch.
    The time where you could sell mfp's on high hardware and click prices is over, certainly if you are a small dealer that must fight against the big manufactures who are even selling devices with losses these days.
    But you certainly CAN adapt if you are little in contrast with the low maneuverability of a big manufacturer ship.

After all those years of selling clicks, try to turn it over now in digitalizing projects where you are still selling the mfp but as a tool to optimize the paper flow.
    The margins are a lot bigger in IT solutions and you would be amazed how many little companies are struggling with there paperwork.

Read the market and his evolutions,

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Interesting thread. In my opinion, if you're a one-man show or hoping to expand beyond, the one thing that you must do is learn to sell. Nothing happens unless a sale is made. Interestingly, most of my conversations with techs that branch out on their own is that they hate to sell and put little time and effort in it. You must devote the same effort in sales as you do repair and being a tech.
    Growth is found only in adversity.