Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tech Support Lately

Tech Support Lately

From time to time I call tech support because that's my company policy to escalate a problem.

I never relied on them for their brilliance but rather their DATABASE of problem tickets, bulletins, QAs, etc etc.

But lately (Sharp, Kyo in my world) it seems like they their main focus is getting you off the phone as soon as possible. They don't even give a ticket # unless you ask.

in the past they would give you undivided attention, research the problem, walk you through ideas, create a ticket and follow up with you.

I know a lot of you don't call tech support at all, but for those that do let me know your thoughts and I also encourage everyone to CLOSE THEIR TICKETS to help us all just like we do on CTN!

Tech Support Lately

Re: Tech Support Lately

I deal with Ricoh mainly, and have seen about the same. Before - you would call, and wait on hold, and then get a rep that generally would stay with you while you worked things out. Now - you call in (or their preferred method of text or email), and get your case entered, then wait for a response from someone. They say “15 minute response time”, but I’ve had cases where they’ve called hours after the fact.
    I can live with the waiting, but what I hate is the questions like, “Did you check for jammed paper?” or “Have you updated the firmware?” or whatever extremely basic troubleshooting question they can think of, and when all those are confirmed, they jump straight to replacing NVRAM or boards!
    I’ve only had to call a handful of times, and it has ruined manufacturer’s support for me. I get quicker and more logical insight and possible solutions from this community, and for that I thank you all!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

My favorite is when they have no reasonable reply to whatever I call for, but then finish with “Is there anything else I can help you with today?”

Yeah, howzabout answering my original question. Sheesh.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Tech Support Lately

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    I deal with Ricoh mainly, and have seen about the same. Before - you would call, and wait on hold, and then get a rep that generally would stay with you while you worked things out. Now - you call in (or their preferred method of text or email), and get your case entered, then wait for a response from someone. They say “15 minute response time”, but I’ve had cases where they’ve called hours after the fact.
    I can live with the waiting, but what I hate is the questions like, “Did you check for jammed paper?” or “Have you updated the firmware?” or whatever extremely basic troubleshooting question they can think of, and when all those are confirmed, they jump straight to replacing NVRAM or boards!
    I’ve only had to call a handful of times, and it has ruined manufacturer’s support for me. I get quicker and more logical insight and possible solutions from this community, and for that I thank you all!
    Ha-ha. I agree. How would you like to have a job making probably 60K+ yr where you sit at a computer screen and put symptoms into a knowledge base and read the answer, then if all else fails blame the main board! They have been blaming the main board for everything since I went to Sharp SF-741 school 40+ yrs ago !!! Seriously stopped calling them years ago because to be honest I don't think they ever help one time! Rather talk to a tech that is in the trenches like me not some IT kid that has never worked on a copier!
    Last edited by copyman; 01-24-2020 at 04:44 AM.

Technician

At my prior job, we dealt with KM and Canon. Canons main priority was verifying you were trained on the machine. KM was much more reasonable about this issue, and they were actually very helpful once you got past the initial stage. Usually we were only after a ticket number in case the problem wasn’t fixed. The margins in the copier world have disappeared; the manufacturers are simply unable to provide actual experienced technical support people as they did a generation ago.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    I´m working mainly on RICOH & HP(). The support from RICOH in germany is OK, but the HP-hotline is getting worse.
    Getting a ticket-nr is a real problem, sometimes they are telling you stories from the horse, and ending the phonecall as soon as possible.
    So, it´s your problem to solve it.
    Greetings...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Yeah, even I can't stand banal answers.

Here are 90% of the solutions that are provided to me:
    - Is the firmware updated? Yes? Rewrite the firmware.
    - Change the motherboard.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tech Support Lately

The great thing about the hotline is that it gives you an hour or so of quiet time, listening to the hold music. I take a pad of paper and start writing all the things that I know about the problem, all the things I'd like to know, list firmware levels, things I've done ... then I start re-arranging the things on the list (and doodling). Before my call is answered I usually have thought of something and hang up the phone.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Tech Support Lately

I worked in a call center for a while (DSL Internet Tech Support).

The main focus in a call center isn't so much customer "support". as it is "Call Metrics". You're at the mercy of bean counters and middle managers who are great at running an office, but know jack-squat about technical matters. You're judged on how many calls per hour you get, and handling the calls in a timely manner. Whether or not the customer's issue is resolved isn't measured.

I used to get "coached" all the time over my per-call handle time. I would always counter with a question... "How many One-Call Resolutions do I have?". I told them I would much rather spend a little more time on fixing the customer's issue, instead of worrying about how many calls per hour I was logging.

The call center I worked at closed after 2 years. They're still in business... just not in that state anymore.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

We sell and service only KM and I dread starting a ticket with the call center, simply because they rarely ever solve anything for us. They are super picky about being trained on the machine but allow us to call and start a ticket using our service manager's credentials if we aren't trained on the machine with the major issue, since we are the one actually in the field working on the machine.

It's just like already mentioned above- "Latest F/W?", "Try clear all data and if that doesn't work, start replacing boards." Well, no kidding. Could have figured that out myself.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.