Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: any companies laying off ?

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Ken, I'm not guessing. I have the package details from HR. Maybe it is different in the US, but here in Canada they typically offer 2 weeks per year served for severance. If you are invited to leave it is often a lump sum, for a voluntary split it is salary continuance. I have spoken to people who have experienced both kinds of split.

For my tenure my salary continuance is 48 weeks at pre-COVID levels, not the 75% I'm getting now (and will continue at 75% until at least the end of September). Unused vacation is paid out. Benefits except disability continue for the 48 weeks. My pension stays invested with Ricoh's plan, but my personal investments connected with the plan move with me. I do lose the company car, laptop and phone for obvious reasons.

Just thinking of breaking away from the industry. I know this is a bad time to get hired elsewhere, but my individual situation has me with very minimal financial commitments, so taking a more 'menial' job if necessary will float me, even if just a temporary situation. I have been doing this so long I'm just spent, bored, stagnant, whatever. There is no path forward for me that I see. I do not want to work on production machines (I used to and hated the machines, with the clientele not much better), and I'm not likely management material, not that those opportunities occur often anyhow. Other job functions at Ricoh don't interest me much. Or, I just stay put and see how long the ride actually lasts. About 15 years puts me in striking distance of retirement, but will I still have a job here? Ricoh has been spinning off its sales and service business to dealers lately and shifting away from its current hardware based model to a new more services oriented model. The screwdriver turners days are numbered.
    It looks like there are some differences between Canada and the US, then.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    any companies laying off ?

In Canada, the KMBS VP of dealer sales was let go last Friday with a one years pay package. Plus many other people.

This is not a comment on his job performance, it is a serious need within KMBS to reduce expenses and headcount when industry wide sales are dismal. OEMs are struggling to reduce high fixed and recurring costs.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    In Canada, the KMBS VP of dealer sales was let go last Friday with a one years pay package. Plus many other people.

This is not a comment on his job performance, it is a serious need within KMBS to reduce expenses and headcount when industry wide sales are dismal. OEMs are struggling to reduce high fixed and recurring costs.
    Copier biz was a good job, the poor pay was at least partially offset by job security. That is done. I have worked in the consumer electronics industry, about 30 years ago, and witnessed first hand, an entire job classification disappearing. This situation is temporary, anyone more than 10 years from retirement needs to be looking at another vocation.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Human resources,chattel, cannon fodder.

No matter what belief system people attain too, that belief itself is just neural synaptic patterns running around in water molecules of someones cranium.
    We all die an rot into the ground the same as every one else, and those synaptic brain patterns that have people elevated above all else, dies with the body in a fleeting glimpse. That elevated life-long driven belief, in the last moment of life, pertains and equates to nothing.
    What was that?! The deleted lyrics from Kansas' "Dust In The Wind"? (Sorry boys, but that was just too upbeat for this song...)

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    any companies laying off ?

Part of Flex , just got laid off today.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

How many

Quote Originally Posted by nanohitmen View Post
    Part of Flex , just got laid off today.