Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Are you a copier tech who started his or her own business?

Re: Are you a copier tech who started his or her own business?

Quote Originally Posted by adecanmin View Post
    A fellow Floridian. I had zero customers as well when I started in 94. I went door to door handing out flyers. Do you still sell Ricohs? Have you branched out into any other arenas? Computer repair, printers, etc..
    I think we have 2 Ricohs left in the field. Only selling used equipment got old, & wa costing us a bunch of deals, so we became a Panasonic dealer in '06. When they stopped making copiers a few years later, we became an NEC (konica/kyocera) dealer. When they got out of the copier business, we became a Sharp dealer, which has worked out well.

We started an IT company in '07 (& market them both under the same name). Its only a quarter of the size of the copier dealership, but the profit margins are much better, & it gives us the ability to compete with the big dealerships (sort of), & makes it harder for customers to walk away from you. Have a couple of printer (MPS) deals as well, but they can be a pain in the ass.

Where in Florida are you?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pbbsinc View Post
    I think we have 2 Ricohs left in the field. Only selling used equipment got old, & wa costing us a bunch of deals, so we became a Panasonic dealer in '06. When they stopped making copiers a few years later, we became an NEC (konica/kyocera) dealer. When they got out of the copier business, we became a Sharp dealer, which has worked out well.

We started an IT company in '07 (& market them both under the same name). Its only a quarter of the size of the copier dealership, but the profit margins are much better, & it gives us the ability to compete with the big dealerships (sort of), & makes it harder for customers to walk away from you. Have a couple of printer (MPS) deals as well, but they can be a pain in the ass.

Where in Florida are you?
    We are in Gainesville. Sounds like you have done well for yourself. We still sell mostly refurbished. Sharp is a good brand. The competition is intense in our part of the state. It's funny how years ago we relied on the yellow pages ads for new customers now it is a good website.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I started mine in 2002. always better than working for someone else.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

After working for 8 years in a large parts manufacturer, I left. Started its own parts business in 2010. The competition is too big. . .

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mearmi View Post
    I started mine in 2002. always better than working for someone else.
    wow almost 20 years! thats great

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I went out on my own after 25+ yrs working for different dealers. Last company I worked for went out of business and that's when I decided to give it a shot. Picked up around 40 of the accounts that were left hanging by this company going out of business. Wasn't that hard because the customers already knew me from servicing their machines over the years. Been almost 20 years with my own business and it was best move I ever did!

Best of luck
    copyman,
    25+ years and then an opportunity opened up, do you think you would've gone on your own if that company did not go out of biz? It was super scary for me to start on my own. So many factors to think about starting.

My top five apprehensions were:
    5. Fear of current employer pursuing non-compete terms
    4. What if it doesn't work and I lose money
    3. How will I get support on products
    2. What manufacturer will want to work with me
    1. I'm a tech, I don't sell (i don't want to sell, i don't care to sell)

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

I went out on my own many years ago after being a tech for some years. But I also came from a sales background. Being a tech isn't necessarily a road map to success for owning a copier business, in my humble opinion. While having a tech background has it's advantages, sales is paramount for growing the business.

I work on my sales skills the same why I approach being a copier tech. I try to read one sales book a month....usually audio books. I record myself on video as I practice my sales pitch. I'm always trying to get better. Successful sales people aren't born...they are created thru hard work.

Edit: If I could recommend one sales book to purchase for a tech that has no or very little sales experience, this would be the one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01617VD3I...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 02-17-2021 at 02:23 PM.

I started my business in 2014 and today i am very happy with my decision .It's way better than working for someone else.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    .....Successful sales people aren't born...they are created thru hard work.......
    Yes. I agree. Do you have a system? Cold calling? Knock on doors?

We've been mostly word of mouth and referrals. But definitely need something else.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Yes. I agree. Do you have a system? Cold calling? Knock on doors?

We've been mostly word of mouth and referrals. But definitely need something else.

The most effective way to generate new sales is via the telephone. But when I cold call by phone, I don't try to sell anything. I only try to set an appointment with the decision maker. The problem with knocking on doors is that most decision makers doesn't have time to meet with you at that very moment or they speak with you while they're rushing you out the door.

I highly recommend the book that I posted. Get the audio book.