Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Are you a copier tech who started his or her own business?

Re: Are you a copier tech who started his or her own business?

Quote Originally Posted by adecanmin View Post
    A fellow Floridian. I had zero customers as well when I started in 94. I went door to door handing out flyers. Do you still sell Ricohs? Have you branched out into any other arenas? Computer repair, printers, etc..
    I think we have 2 Ricohs left in the field. Only selling used equipment got old, & wa costing us a bunch of deals, so we became a Panasonic dealer in '06. When they stopped making copiers a few years later, we became an NEC (konica/kyocera) dealer. When they got out of the copier business, we became a Sharp dealer, which has worked out well.

We started an IT company in '07 (& market them both under the same name). Its only a quarter of the size of the copier dealership, but the profit margins are much better, & it gives us the ability to compete with the big dealerships (sort of), & makes it harder for customers to walk away from you. Have a couple of printer (MPS) deals as well, but they can be a pain in the ass.

Where in Florida are you?

Technician
    Are you a copier tech who started his or her own business?

Re: Are you a copier tech who started his or her own business?

Quote Originally Posted by pbbsinc View Post
    I think we have 2 Ricohs left in the field. Only selling used equipment got old, & wa costing us a bunch of deals, so we became a Panasonic dealer in '06. When they stopped making copiers a few years later, we became an NEC (konica/kyocera) dealer. When they got out of the copier business, we became a Sharp dealer, which has worked out well.

We started an IT company in '07 (& market them both under the same name). Its only a quarter of the size of the copier dealership, but the profit margins are much better, & it gives us the ability to compete with the big dealerships (sort of), & makes it harder for customers to walk away from you. Have a couple of printer (MPS) deals as well, but they can be a pain in the ass.

Where in Florida are you?
    We are in Gainesville. Sounds like you have done well for yourself. We still sell mostly refurbished. Sharp is a good brand. The competition is intense in our part of the state. It's funny how years ago we relied on the yellow pages ads for new customers now it is a good website.