Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Are you a copier tech who started his or her own business?

How many copier techs turned business owner?

Just curious as this is me and wondering who did this also.
    Last edited by buzz; 05-04-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Are you a copier tech who started his or her own business?

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    How many copier techs turned business owner?

Just curious as this is me and wondering who did this also.
    I went out on my own after 25+ yrs working for different dealers. Last company I worked for went out of business and that's when I decided to give it a shot. Picked up around 40 of the accounts that were left hanging by this company going out of business. Wasn't that hard because the customers already knew me from servicing their machines over the years. Been almost 20 years with my own business and it was best move I ever did!

Best of luck

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I started mine in 1989 after working for a couple other companies. Been some highs and lows. But, way better than working for someone else.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Started in 93-94. Roller coaster ride for sure.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Started in 85, working for Minolta/Sharp/Facit-Ericsson/Scriptomatic/T/A Adler Dealer, after 3 years they went under, gave it a shot in 88, been in business ever since, wouldn't trade it for anything, love the work, my customers, many very faithful, some 30 plus years, and new ones continuing to come on, , just love it! My son helps me, has been working with me for 18 years now, raising his family on this "hobby" This country is great! As anything goes, there are the ups and downs, the mountains and the valleys, but in the end, God is good, God bless's those who put their trust in him, just my thoughts, God Bless America!!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Started my own shop almost twelve years ago after getting laid off by a dealer. Focused on small business IT, but with my copy skills I was able to get a foot in a coupleof doors when a print issue arose. Most of our business is pure IT support, but we have a decent number of MFP's over some of our customers.

Printing may be slowly going away, but there will always be a need for document management and archiving.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I left a large direct company about 10 years ago to go out on my own. I had a few after hours customers that I had picked up over the years. so was busy from the Tuesday onwards, and grew by word of mouth. We are primarily a IT MSP now, but have used the copy side to get in the door to many customers.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clint@clintsimonsen.com View Post
    I left a large direct company about 10 years ago to go out on my own. I had a few after hours customers that I had picked up over the years. so was busy from the Tuesday onwards, and grew by word of mouth. We are primarily a IT MSP now, but have used the copy side to get in the door to many customers.
    How do you bill for IT support? Is it by the hour or do you offer service plans. One thing that's always scared my about IT is having someone call you at 3am because there network is down and you have to go out there. I've never had to do that with a copier. Also those big server updates that you may have to do after hours because you have to make sure they don't cause any problems first. Losing someones data would also concern me through my fault or not my fault.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

A coworker & I went into business selling refurbed ricohs 25 years ago. My garage was the Whse/shop, his spare bedroom in his condo was the office, & we delivered machines out of a nissan pickup & an suv.

Started out with 10k each & zero customers. Took a long time to get to the point we are (mostly because we avoided debt) but glad I did it & would never work for someone else again (unless I sell out & become really bored). Industry has changed alot since 1994, & will change faster from here on, but its still a great business to be in as long as you can managed not to get steamrolled by the big dogs.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pbbsinc View Post
    A coworker & I went into business selling refurbed ricohs 25 years ago. My garage was the Whse/shop, his spare bedroom in his condo was the office, & we delivered machines out of a nissan pickup & an suv.

Started out with 10k each & zero customers. Took a long time to get to the point we are (mostly because we avoided debt) but glad I did it & would never work for someone else again (unless I sell out & become really bored). Industry has changed alot since 1994, & will change faster from here on, but its still a great business to be in as long as you can managed not to get steamrolled by the big dogs.
    A fellow Floridian. I had zero customers as well when I started in 94. I went door to door handing out flyers. Do you still sell Ricohs? Have you branched out into any other arenas? Computer repair, printers, etc..