Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

How long do you want to keep a used printer?

Today I made several considerations on used printers. They are very convenient because you can put them around again, generating new profits. But until when is it convenient?

For example the bizhub C364 / C364e are printers that are starting to get old. SMB, Scan To Email etc. started having problems in certain realities that require recent security protocols. The problem is that many salespeople don't think about it and they make long contracts for printers that are unlikely to stay up to date.

Do you have any parameters to define a printer as unsaleable, even if it works well (copy/print)?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: How long do you want to keep a used printer?

I sell a lot of off lease refurbished (by me) machines. They can be hugely profitable. I don't like to go further than 2 model lines deep though. For example, I will buy and sell a C654e without question, I would consider a C654 if the customer is just looking for a cheap printer/copier. I won't bother with a C652. If your customer is big on scanning be wary of older tech.

Of special note, I recently bought a handful of Bizhub 501's at auction for $20 each. Plan was to part them out. Instead, I ended up making one great machine and sold it to a retired paralegal who needed it for just straight copying at home. No print or scan. She was happy as can be to get a usable machine so cheap and I got a new customer for service and supplies.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

FOR ME it comes down to available space and time..I f..ng hate tripping over printers...
    If I have to dump more than 1/3rd OF what i sell the printer for I either gut it or dump it..
    I still have a few HP 4200 AND HP 4300 laser printers in the field..
    If a customer refuses to want to upgrade i am ok with that and rebuild the machine and make some money..
    On the copier end if i have hour upon hour troubleshooting an odd service code i just gut that machine after changing the normal parts out..
    That is why having a solid source of low meter lease returns helps..

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Today I made several considerations on used printers. They are very convenient because you can put them around again, generating new profits. But until when is it convenient?

For example the bizhub C364 / C364e are printers that are starting to get old. SMB, Scan To Email etc. started having problems in certain realities that require recent security protocols. The problem is that many salespeople don't think about it and they make long contracts for printers that are unlikely to stay up to date.

Do you have any parameters to define a printer as unsaleable, even if it works well (copy/print)?
    Avoid the non e series unless you get a real low count model & customer only wants basic copy/print functions. Scan to email/smb will be an issue now.

The 4 e series are as you say old but again if you can get a low count model are still fine & will print/copy/scan with no real issues if the the firmware is up to date.

The later 8 series are pretty much the same as the 4 series.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk