Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,755
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Replacing the printer and copier business

    Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post

    Well, I'm 30 from a new generation "Hybrid techs" (Look up Copier Careers report).
    I guess that explains everything.

    My point is that "printer and copier repair" is a dying industry. You're too young to remember the giant fleets of copier repair guys. Each city had at least five or six dealers--and they employed hundreds of men in ties to go out and fix the things. I remember when I was 25 and people were talking about the 'dying' industry then, and my service manager scoffed. He managed 47 men. Now, whoever has his position, manages 10. The IT took some of those guys, but they don't have nearly as many field techs as the copier side once did.

    In fact, your answer proves this point exactly--you're sliding over to IT, because every year less and less people print.

    I feel sorry for the guys who are mechanical masterminds, and could fix anything that rolls, slides, or rotates, but have a hard time with computers. Those are specifically the people I'm thinking of when I started this thread. There's got to be SOMETHING left to fix.

    I guess cars will always be there.

  2. #22
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Replacing the printer and copier business


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Replacing the printer and copier business

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I guess that explains everything.

    My point is that "printer and copier repair" is a dying industry. You're too young to remember the giant fleets of copier repair guys. Each city had at least five or six dealers--and they employed hundreds of men in ties to go out and fix the things. I remember when I was 25 and people were talking about the 'dying' industry then, and my service manager scoffed. He managed 47 men. Now, whoever has his position, manages 10. The IT took some of those guys, but they don't have nearly as many field techs as the copier side once did.

    In fact, your answer proves this point exactly--you're sliding over to IT, because every year less and less people print.

    I feel sorry for the guys who are mechanical masterminds, and could fix anything that rolls, slides, or rotates, but have a hard time with computers. Those are specifically the people I'm thinking of when I started this thread. There's got to be SOMETHING left to fix.

    I guess cars will always be there.
    I remember those days. I'm amazed copiers are still being used today all be it less so. A.I. is the next technology that is going to decimate white collar workers. Robots will replace fast food workers, construction workers. They are even working on robots that will pick crops in the fields. These new technologies will need engineers and technicians to keep things humming, but the new jobs will never replace the ones that are lost. We will need to get a universal income check from the government when our jobs are replaced by A.I. or robots.

  3. #23
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts JLSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Replacing the printer and copier business

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I guess that explains everything.

    My point is that "printer and copier repair" is a dying industry. You're too young to remember the giant fleets of copier repair guys. Each city had at least five or six dealers--and they employed hundreds of men in ties to go out and fix the things. I remember when I was 25 and people were talking about the 'dying' industry then, and my service manager scoffed. He managed 47 men. Now, whoever has his position, manages 10. The IT took some of those guys, but they don't have nearly as many field techs as the copier side once did.

    In fact, your answer proves this point exactly--you're sliding over to IT, because every year less and less people print.

    I feel sorry for the guys who are mechanical masterminds, and could fix anything that rolls, slides, or rotates, but have a hard time with computers. Those are specifically the people I'm thinking of when I started this thread. There's got to be SOMETHING left to fix.

    I guess cars will always be there.
    I hear you, and your point is valid referring to my lack of experience in terms of time spent in the industry. You're right, from my perspective, all I see is my peers who refuse to learn basic computer networking skills.

    And it boggles me because yeah, they are masters of electrical mechanical engineering. Many of them fix boards at component level, on site. Impressive really.

    However, paper is necessary. And it's always going to be prevalent because of security, and government.

    Maybe it's not dying, just maturing.

    Sad to see you old prunes die off because of techs my age. It's generational barrier I suppose. (I jest, it's a joke)

    Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,755
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Replacing the printer and copier business

    Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    And it boggles me because yeah, they are masters of electrical mechanical engineering. Many of them fix boards at component level, on site. Impressive really.

    Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
    Look, my dad taught me everything I know. We once set up a system of switches, relays, and timers on a piece of wood to take the place of my washer/dryer PCB because it blew and I couldn't afford a new one. But he just couldn't figure out computers. I would try to explain file systems to him damn near once a week. And he tried--he really did. But for some reason, he just couldn't get it.

    Two months ago I wanted to do a little project and I tried to start learning C-sharp. I know a couple other languages, but I haven't tried to learn a new one in 15 years. And for some reason, I'm not getting it. I think for some men age effects us that way.

  5. #25
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,446
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Replacing the printer and copier business

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    ...
    Two months ago I wanted to do a little project and I tried to start learning C-sharp. I know a couple other languages, but I haven't tried to learn a new one in 15 years. And for some reason, I'm not getting it. I think for some men age effects us that way.
    The way you learn and understand at age of 20 is 10 times better than at 40. That's normal.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

  6. #26
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Replacing the printer and copier business

    [QUOTE=tsbservice;1534695]The way you learn and understand at age of 20 is 10 times better than at 40. That's normal.[/QUOTE

    ĒLearning new thingsĒ is much harder for me than it was even 10 years ago. At 60 years old, Iím more worried about my short term memory; another way of saying Iím getting absent minded.
    There is no question the hardware tech field has just about disappeared, but if you didnít start on your IT training years ago, you probably waited too long. Hopefully most of you can limp to retirement, where your standard of living is basically going to be determined by you wifeís resources.
    I donít have anything encouraging to say. Whatever opportunities await any of us, your competition for those jobs is going to be younger and sharper. Your best qualifications maybe a patient, steady temperament that allows you to stay focused on a task till itís completed.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here