Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

How to fire a customer?

I've never had to do this, but I have come to the conclusion that I need to fire a customer. Does anyone have any advice on how to word such a letter? We have averaged about $30 a month from this account for the last couple years, and the difficulty of dealing with their staff far outweighs the meager profits. I would pay twice that amount just so I don't have to talk to their office administrator each month.

Has anyone gone through this? Any tips?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    How to fire a customer?

Re: How to fire a customer?

Quote Originally Posted by 907tec View Post
    I've never had to do this, but I have come to the conclusion that I need to fire a customer. Does anyone have any advice on how to word such a letter? We have averaged about $30 a month from this account for the last couple years, and the difficulty of dealing with their staff far outweighs the meager profits. I would pay twice that amount just so I don't have to talk to their office administrator each month.

Has anyone gone through this? Any tips?

It all depends. If it's an older machine I'd tell them that due to age/copies that I'm gonna have to do one of two things:

1. Raise the price of their contract (if they have a contract?)

or

2. I can no longer service the machine and they'll need to upgrade to a new machine.

That's the way I play it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    How to fire a customer?

Be firm and direct, don't beat around the bush and leave room for interpretation. I would maybe consider starting as an increase in charge amount, make it worth your time. That way if they aren't interested it's on them to quit or if they think you're worth the increase in price you'll at least start making money for the inconvenience. Whichever way you go, don't be vague. If you really don't want them to be a customer because they are a pain in the ass make that clear. Obviously you will want to word that tactfully so that they don't post it somewhere and have you look like the ass. If you want more specific help than that I would need more details about the situation, your reasoning needs to be clear and evidence based.

How to fire a customer?

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    Be firm and direct, don't beat around the bush and leave room for interpretation. I would maybe consider starting as an increase in charge amount, make it worth your time. That way if they aren't interested it's on them to quit or if they think you're worth the increase in price you'll at least start making money for the inconvenience. Whichever way you go, don't be vague. If you really don't want them to be a customer because they are a pain in the ass make that clear. Obviously you will want to word that tactfully so that they don't post it somewhere and have you look like the ass. If you want more specific help than that I would need more details about the situation, your reasoning needs to be clear and evidence based.
    Agreed. Need more details.

If they sold the client the machine and it's not very old, it gets tricky. In my experience the problem starts when a copier company lets the customer get away with too much from the get-go and things deteriorate quickly. If I have a client that's calling me out needlessly, I charge their ass every single time. That cuts down on the bullshit.

Also, I'd consider how much influence the company has in my area. You don't want word of mouth to spread to potential customers.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Oh boy, where to begin...

To start with...we are but lowly dealers. Konica doesn't have any other representation for a thousand miles. We are remote enough that we can pretty much operate undisturbed: KMBS rarely contacts us for anything. This is a KMBS-direct customer, not a sale/maintenance contract that our dealership made. It is a pretty new machine (C368), and I have no issues with the machine condition or it's treatment. My problem is specifically related to their office manager and how much bs we have to endure. Every interaction is contentious and unnecessarily drawn out due to this. I spent 45 minutes on the phone this week trying to get a meter count from this person. Still haven't gotten it.

We are an extremely small outfit (down to 2 techs right now), and neither one of us has the patience to deal with the person. We are just flat out done. I can't even imagine a click-rate that would make me entertain the idea of keeping this customer....but it would be like a buck a page, minimum. mono. Five bucks color. Double-click on anything over 5.5x8.5.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    How to fire a customer?

I would log time involvement and show it to the customer after a couple weeks, point out exactly how much time is being spent trying to help. Tell him that your business cannot sustain numbers like that, and that if the habits don't change you will need to start billing him an hourly rate for the actual time spent assisting him for anything that falls outside the letter of any agreement already in place. At 100$ an hour I bet he'd get to the point with any calls that still needed to take place, or you could rest assured that you would be making comfortably over a buck a minute and let him spend.

How to fire a customer?

Oh boy, where to begin...

To start with...we are but lowly dealers. Konica doesn't have any other representation for a thousand miles. We are remote enough that we can pretty much operate undisturbed: KMBS rarely contacts us for anything. This is a KMBS-direct customer, not a sale/maintenance contract that our dealership made. It is a pretty new machine (C368), and I have no issues with the machine condition or it's treatment. My problem is specifically related to their office manager and how much bs we have to endure. Every interaction is contentious and unnecessarily drawn out due to this. I spent 45 minutes on the phone this week trying to get a meter count from this person. Still haven't gotten it.

We are an extremely small outfit (down to 2 techs right now), and neither one of us has the patience to deal with the person. We are just flat out done. I can't even imagine a click-rate that would make me entertain the idea of keeping this customer....but it would be like a buck a page, minimum. mono. Five bucks color. Double-click on anything over 5.5x8.5.

Got it.

Sounds like you're the only company in the area that can service the machine. Correct me if I'm wrong? That will leave them in a tough spot.

I think honesty is gonna be your best approach. Just tell them that they're extremely hard to deal with and getting a simple meter reading is a chore. And then tell them that you while you hate to lose a customer that you think it's best for all involved.

How to fire a customer?

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    I would log time involvement and show it to the customer after a couple weeks, point out exactly how much time is being spent trying to help. Tell him that your business cannot sustain numbers like that, and that if the habits don't change you will need to start billing him an hourly rate for the actual time spent assisting him for anything that falls outside the letter of any agreement already in place. At 100$ an hour I bet he'd get to the point with any calls that still needed to take place, or you could rest assured that you would be making comfortably over a buck a minute and let him spend.

Forget what I said in my last post, I love what M94 said. Love it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Got it.

Sounds like you're the only company in the area that can service the machine. Correct me if I'm wrong? That will leave them in a tough spot.

I think honesty is gonna be your best approach. Just tell them that they're extremely hard to deal with and getting a simple meter reading is a chore. And then tell them that you while you hate to lose a customer that you think it's best for all involved.

I like this approach, thank you. I'm not vindictive enough that I wish ill on the business, or want somebody fired. I just don't need to waste my time on a customer that gives me this much grief. I've been with this company for over 14 years now, never had to take a measure like this. I will try to type up a letter that is firm about discontinuing service, while maintaining that there are no hard feelings and it truly is the best choice for both companies.

How to fire a customer?

I like this approach, thank you. I'm not vindictive enough that I wish ill on the business, or want somebody fired. I just don't need to waste my time on a customer that gives me this much grief. I've been with this company for over 14 years now, never had to take a measure like this. I will try to type up a letter that is firm about discontinuing service, while maintaining that there are no hard feelings and it truly is the best choice for both companies.

The reason I like what M94 said over what I said, is that you give the customer a choice rather then cutting them off completely. But if you're done, use what I said.