Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Copies between service calls

Back when I worked for a large Sharp dealership as a service technician, we were evaluated on several things like:

1. Number of service calls per day.
    2. Call backs.
    3. Attendance.

But one of the big things we were evaluated on was: COPIES between service calls.

The company would break it down by model for all service techs. For instance, if you worked on a Sharp (insert model) they had a target goal of, lets say, 10,000 pages. If the machine ran 10,000 copies between service calls, we got grade of 100% for that service call. On the other hand, if it only ran 5,000 pages between service calls, we got a grade of 50%

I'm just curious if any of you are graded in a similar way?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Copies between service calls

I was never graded on clicks between calls. And honestly, it seems like a great way to judge efficiency.

Two of the biggest things I was judged by was first call fix and response time, amongst the other things you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Using E-automate that can be setup

calls per day
    PM's
    response time
    Travel time
    call backs
    parts use
    etc...........
    Using machines history can show models with problems

Companies set parameters

So you could have tech look good on paper but does shit work

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Using E-automate that can be setup

calls per day
    PM's
    response time
    Travel time
    call backs
    parts use
    etc...........
    Using machines history can show models with problems

Companies set parameters

So you could have tech look good on paper but does shit work
    I don't really understand the PM thing as it's just luck of the draw that a tech is scheduled on a call that needs a PM. Perhaps you can go into further detail?

I agree with "parts usage." I've worked with techs before that we called "parts changers" They had very little diagnostic skills and would instead just throw parts at a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I don't really understand the PM thing as it's just luck of the draw that a tech is scheduled on a call that needs a PM. Perhaps you can go into further detail?

I agree with "parts usage." I've worked with techs before that we called "parts changers" They had very little diagnostic skills and would instead just throw parts at a problem.

Company would track regular service calls and PM calls
    callback rate percent was different PM calls 10,000 clicks vs 5,000 etc....

I've worked at several companies over the years, but I've always thought that "copies between calls" is the thing that separated the boys from the men, so to speak. Anyone can do a bunch of service calls per day. But the best-of-the-best are able to get the machines to perform.

Yeah, we all get stupid call-backs at times and some of that is operator error but that averages out for everyone over time.

Maximum Copies Before Failure or MCBF. a System used by a company i worked for. Don't know the values or details but its something like this.

Got different levels like MCBF1, MCBF2 and 3. Like on a 30ppm machine 50K is level1, 100K is 2 and 150K is 3. So stretch past PM's. Lekker incentive they pay you a nice 3 monthly payout worth a bit. Techs compare the MCBF some times you have the luck of the area.

Never kept by the book yields, but you have to think about the logistics if you get the machine out of "phase" consumable life count screen looks like a mixed up equalizer. Like on color machines management insists on only addressing the problem at hand so one drum here one devtank there and then given parts from decommissioned machine to use. Here try your luck with this! You tie a valuable tech up continuously going back.

Then also the trip sheets or start stop times reveals the time spent at the costumer at the office or on the road. I would guess an ideal for that ratio should go something like this. 10% Office 30% road and 60% customer. I hated monitoring and control like that.

You figure out the rhythm they like to run at. I get pissed off if i get a call on a Pro951 95ppm at 250K. 75ppm 150K to 200K. 42ppm does about 80K. Create an understanding that if a paper tray jams use the next one and notify me, being able to fix paper trays at a better convenience saves a ton. And if they are so nice to empty waste boxes... or just give them 2 extras. Then you can control the amount of toner you need to drop if your techs deliver, around 3 to 4 bottles per drop. Also basic boot stock of what you have around including some toners. Then when you are on site go thru the machine. Replace what needs replacing and eye ball the condition of weak parts, on the job ticket make a note to take with you what you need next time a call comes in.

And by go thru machine i mean don't #u%k about by not knowing the yields of the parts and not being bothered to inspect the machine. That is where the beetle falls of its pole.
    Last edited by allan; 10-04-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Maximum Copies Before Failure or MCBF. a System used by a company i worked for. Don't know the values or details but its something like this.

Got different levels like MCBF1, MCBF2 and 3. Like on a 30ppm machine 50K is level1, 100K is 2 and 150K is 3. So stretch past PM's. Lekker incentive they pay you a nice 3 monthly payout worth a bit. Techs compare the MCBF some times you have the luck of the area.

Never kept by the book yields, but you have to think about the logistics if you get the machine out of "phase" consumable life count screen looks like a mixed up equalizer. Like on color machines and management insists on only addressing the problem at hand so one drum here one devtank there and then given parts from decommissioned machine to use. Here try your luck with this! You tie a valuable tech up continuously going back.

Then also the trip sheets or start stop times reveals the time spent at the costumer at the office or on the road. I would guess an ideal for that ratio should go something like this. 10% Office 30% road and 60% customer. I hated monitoring and control like that.

You figure out the rhythm they like to run at. I get pissed off if i get a call on a Pro951 95ppm at 250K. 75ppm 150K to 200K. 42ppm does about 80K. Create an understanding that if a paper tray jams use the next one and notify me, being able to fix paper trays at a better convenience saves a ton. And if they are so nice to empty waste boxes... or just give them 2 extras. Then you can control the amount of toner you need to drop if your techs deliver, around 3 to 4 bottles per drop. Also basic boot stock of what you have around including some toners. Then when you are on site go thru the machine. Replace what needs replacing and eye ball the condition of weak parts, on the job ticket make a note to take with you what you need next time a call comes in.

And by go thru machine i mean don't #u%k about by not knowing the yields of the parts and not being bothered to inspect the machine. That is where the beetle falls of its pole.
    Good stuff, Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I've worked at several companies over the years, but I've always thought that "copies between calls" is the thing that separated the boys from the men, so to speak. Anyone can do a bunch of service calls per day. But the best-of-the-best are able to get the machines to perform.

Yeah, we all get stupid call-backs at times and some of that is operator error but that averages out for everyone over time.
    Yes an No we had accounts that would call every month paper jam , out of toner etc...... Crap had accounts that would not get meter readings and would generate a call every month just to get meter reads.
    Also had some accounts in very dirty environmental conditions required more calls jamming and cleaning.

Than we had some super low volume accounts once a year that's it.

We also had super high volume with the wrong equipment to handle the volume.

We also had a tech that would change the PM count so he didn't get the PM as we worked as a team he would stick another tech with the PM , also never changed parts so his parts usage was low. So on paper he look good

We caught on by the number of PM per month was always very low and another tech was almost double and parts usage was high.

Thats because the good tech was following the bad and fixing the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Yes an No we had accounts that would call every month paper jam , out of toner etc...... Crap had accounts that would not get meter readings and would generate a call every month just to get meter reads.
    Also had some accounts in very dirty environmental conditions required more calls jamming and cleaning.

Than we had some super low volume accounts once a year that's it.

We also had super high volume with the wrong equipment to handle the volume.

We also had a tech that would change the PM count so he didn't get the PM as we worked as a team he would stick another tech with the PM , also never changed parts so his parts usage was low.
    Our service dept, along with the service manager, would have a meeting every Friday morning and we would go over all call backs for every tech. We'd get our ass chewed out if we did some stupid sh!t. And if we kept doing it...we were out the door.

For instance, some service techs would go to a service call and and the machine would be 3K from a PM and the tech wouldn't do the PM because "it wasn't time." Keep in mind that the account was putting 20k clicks on the machine every month. So, it took only a few days for them to make 3k clicks and, of course, the customer would call a few days later saying the machine says it time for a PM.

Also, periodically our service manager would go behind us the next day after we worked on a machine to make sure we were doing what we were supposed to do. And that included cleaning the covers.