Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    A . Story. About. Me.

A . Story. About. Me.

This story is partially about me and the copier business.

A couple of weeks ago bsm2 called me a rookie tech. I kinda took offense to that because many years ago I was a top tech and i had several years of experience. In fact, I worked for a couple of large Sharp Dealers and was one of the top techs at both companies. And I even owned a Kyocera Dealership after that.

Guess what? After thinking about what bsm2 said, I realized that for all practical purposes that I am a rookie tech. The copiers today are so much more advanced. And color copiers were pretty rare back then. And then there's the connectivity part.

These past 5 or 6 months on here have been wild ride for me. I think I've crammed 2 years worth of information in my brain in 6 months...or however long I've been here.

Today's techs have my respect. No one learns today's copiers without putting in the hard work. Not unless you're some kind of genius. I tip my hat to you. Cheers.

PS - To all of you on here that I've asked a millions questions about whatever, I apologize BUT you can expect a lot more until i get this down.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 01-23-2021 at 02:20 AM.

Re: A . Story. About. Me.

Did you really let the master of all bullshit get to you. The community here seems to be in the majority age group 50 +. Explains why some guys here can get a bit grumpy. Problem with society these day is that we don't value the life experience of our more senior members of the work force. These machines can get endlessly complicated and we need to tackle stuff we don't fully understand every day.
    Last edited by allan; 01-23-2021 at 07:39 AM.
    Whatever

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    A . Story. About. Me.

Let's see, your profile shows you joined here in August 2020, August 11, 2020 to be exact. That would be 5 months and 11 days.

You started the thread "Need some advice on learning networking" on November 7, 2020. That would be 2 months and 15 days.

You have come a long way in a very short time.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    A . Story. About. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Did really let the master of all bullshit get to you. The community here seems to be in the majority age group 50 +. Explains why some guy here can get a bit
    grumpy. Problem with society these day is that we don't value the life experience of our more senior members of the work force. These machines can get endlessly complicated and we need to tackle stuff we don't fully understand every day.
    A bit grumpy? allan, you have been here long enough to have encountered banging bishop laying into someone.

A . Story. About. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Did you really let the master of all bullshit get to you. The community here seems to be in the majority age group 50 +. Explains why some guy here can get a bit
    grumpy. Problem with society these day is that we don't value the life experience of our more senior members of the work force. These machines can get endlessly complicated and we need to tackle stuff we don't fully understand every day.

I really wasn't calling out bsm2. He was right. It's good to be humbled sometimes. To be honest with you, it made me realize where I'm at and that I need to work even harder. I value anyone that is smart...young/old...makes no difference to me.

A . Story. About. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Let's see, your profile shows you joined here in August 2020, August 11, 2020 to be exact. That would be 5 months and 11 days.

You started the thread "Need some advice on learning networking" on November 7, 2020. That would be 2 months and 15 days.

Hey, look, the main reason that I was able to learn networking is because of you and Ken. I will always remember that thread fondly.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

I'm 30 though. A . Story. About. Me.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    A . Story. About. Me.

I think you'll find that you fit in with the seniors. These machines will continue to make you humble just when you think you know everything. You've learned a difficult lesson surprisingly quickly. Congratulations.

What age group are you in?
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

A . Story. About. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I think you'll find that you fit in with the seniors. These machines will continue to make you humble just when you think you know everything. You've learned a difficult lesson surprisingly quickly. Congratulations.

What age group are you in?

=^..^=

I'm 52, blackcat.

I suppose it's a little late in the game to be learning new technology, but it's been rewarding for me.

The hardest part about learning new copiers for me is that there's been little structure to it. I would have loved to gone to a copier school on the color Kyoceras but that's not possible. Instead I've learned from this site. There's been too many on here that have helped me learn about color copiers but I would like to say a special Thank You to blackcat and KYO. Both of you have gone out of your way to help me.

I think I finally have it down now. Oh, there's still plenty that I don't know but most if it can only be gained thru experience.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    A . Story. About. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I'm 52, blackcat.

I suppose it's a little late in the game to be learning new technology, but it's been rewarding for me.

The hardest part about learning new copiers for me is that there's been little structure to it. I would have loved to gone to a copier school on the color Kyoceras but that's not possible. Instead I've learned from this site. There's been too many on here that have helped me learn about color copiers but I would like to say a special Thank You to blackcat and KYO. Both of you have gone out of your way to help me.

I think I finally have it down now. Oh, there's still plenty that I don't know but most if it can only be gained thru experience.

It's never too late to learn, Billy. I started in the copier game back around '94, I did not know the first thing about a computer, but I really love what I do; so in order for me to continue in the copier game, I have adapted (a secret to life)....period. Do I miss the old days of just testing circuits for voltages and Ohms or just replacing parts; sure...but, that is just the way it is in any industry, especially ours in particular. I have said it before and I will say it again, I have seen techs that refused to learn any tech (or they were afraid of it), which is too bad because once you start to learn the tech side of the business, it's rewarding to look back and see how much you have learned because you were willing to. I believe that is the key to success in anything you do and the people you meet along that path. It's been nice having you on the site and adding to it as well with great questions.