Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Customers - Walking into a hornet's nest

Re: Customers - Walking into a hornet's nest

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Did you first inspect, clean or replace the paper feed rollers before assuming the paper was the issue?

I replaced the feed tires about a month ago. They have 10k on them.

I have seen cases where brand new feed tires will get cheap paper to work...for a little while. But it's only masking the problem and you're asking for a call back.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter;[URL="tel:1696345"
    1696345[/URL]]I replaced the feed tires about a month ago. They have 10k on them.

I have seen cases where brand new feed tires will get cheap paper to work...for a little while. But it's only masking the problem and you're asking for a call back.
    Very closely related to that is when the customer says “It worked fine when it was new. Now fix it!”.

Like you said, brand new feed tires and other rubber parts, plus all new clutches, etc...will compensate for a ton of other issues.

That also happens when the demo machine they tested had no problems.

I once had a church whose bulletins were to be run on some really funky paper, which was anything but cheap. It worked great for the first few weeks, then not so much. I even took some as as sample and tested on a few other machines as the same (Canon) model, all of them jammed.

I worked with the sales person, and we got them to (begrudgingly) change.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

This makes me think of a funeral home that copied messages into pre-printed cards. The cards themselves were quite expensive ... imported from Italy IIRC.

They were not, however, anybody's idea of a standard size (back when there was no such thing as Custom Paper Size), and liberally sprinkled with some glittery stuff that turned out to be conductive, and shorted out the transfer/separation charge unit(s) on the Mita DC152.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This makes me think of a funeral home that copied messages into pre-printed cards. The cards themselves were quite expensive ... imported from Italy IIRC.

They were not, however, anybody's idea of a standard size (back when there was no such thing as Custom Paper Size), and liberally sprinkled with some glittery stuff that turned out to be conductive, and shorted out the transfer/separation charge unit(s) on the Mita DC152.
    =^..^=

Speaking of funeral homes. I went on a service call to one and paper was jammed in the fuser. I pulled it out and it was a death certificate printed on some funky paper. The guy in the funeral home asked me what was wrong with the copier.

I told him that the death certificates were killing the copier. Get it? lol. True story. lol

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have had a few instances of repeated jams caused either directly by the paper or operator error involving the paper at one hospital.

The first one on an Aficio 1027 and was caused by the operator somehow managing to bend the corner of the bottom 10 sheets over when loading. It happened to be the corner where the sensor was that determined when the paper needed to be lifted. When the paper tray was first closed the paper was lifted enough to come in contact with the feed roller. After about 5 or 6 sheets it no longer was so no paper would feed.

The next was again a 1027. Every morning we would get a call that the machine in the surgery center was jamming constantly. It took about an hour to load up and get there. By then the machine was working fine. One morning my boss told me to be there at 8 the next morning. The machine had just jammed when I got there. I pulled paper tray 1 out and immediately noticed that someone had wedged additional paper between the tail fence and the far end of the tray. This pushed the top of the tail fence hard against the paper which pushed the top of the paper stack hard against the feed end of the tray preventing it from rising as the paper fed out. Took the extra stack of paper out, fed fine. Put it back in, jammed after about 3 or 4 sheets. Showed everyone there. The head nurse was already in a surgical theater but they said they would let her know. As I was leaving my boss showed up and I showed him. He then showed the head purchasing agent who was in charge of calling in the work requests.

The third was a color machine in administration. It was jamming every ten sheets from tray 1. When I opened the tray I noticed a slight hump a little over an inch back from the ledge of the paper in the tray. it had to have happened at the paper mill before the final cut to size as with the fold the sheets were 8.5X11, straighten the fold out and they were 8.5X12.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

The modern way to replace paper drawer feed rollers. Designed to last 120k. User replaceable. $15.00 cost per set of three.

e-STUDIO 330AC/400AC Drawer Roller (Rollers in the Drawer)

e-STUDIO 330AC/400AC Drawer Roller (Rollers in the Drawer) - YouTube

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The modern way to replace paper drawer feed rollers. Designed to last 120k. User replaceable. $15.00 cost per set of three.

Philosophical question: How dirty would your hands have to be to ruin a new set of rollers?
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Philosophical question: How dirty would your hands have to be to ruin a new set of rollers?
    ... perhaps not so much dirty but oily. Maybe a tech just applied lubricant somewhere and has it on their hands. I know a tech would clean their hands, far fetched.

I am installing a e330AC this week at customer planning on running lots of Avery sheet labels through the paper drawers. I am thinking, over time, some glue might come off on the rollers.

I love how easy it is to replace the feed rollers but my customers would look at me sideways if I even suggested that they replace the feed tires. And, to be honest, I wouldn't trust them to do it.

Printer firmware is !&$! 100+ Posts

... perhaps not so much dirty but oily. Maybe a tech just applied lubricant somewhere and has it on their hands. I know a tech would clean their hands, far fetched.

I am installing a e330AC this week at customer planning on running lots of Avery sheet labels through the paper drawers. I am thinking, over time, some glue might come off on the rollers.

I don't think you'll get any glue on the rollers, it will all seep into the fuser unit and then you'll get jams, or labels peeling onto the ITB. They will want to use the MP tray. I mean ideally, they should just get a shitty inkjet or label printer for label printing. Brother has several flat feed models.

Anyway ontopic grumblings:

I had a customer so unconvinced it was there paper, even after we tested it, that they then had their sales REP on the phone basically saying we were lieing. So we took a video of it printing perfectly in our workshop on our paper.

We also had a customer who said we sent them back a different printer to their own because the colour of the printer was different (He was referring to the plastic panels he thought they should all be white, when they are half white and half black). So we collected it double checked our logged SN confirmed sent it back to him and charged him for the privilege. He never did apologize.

And don't even get me started on "networking problems" that must be with the printer, you go to site test it directly and it has literally nothing to do with the device. As soon as you start mentioning that the calls will become chargeable they go silent.