Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dec Imaging

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Re: Dec Imaging

If there was good money to be made OEMs would not be selling off their branches. There is more to it than this I would image. OEM's do not know how to deal with an end user. We do installs for OEM branches and they are always a nightmare. Nobody can give you a straight answer and we are constantly apologizing to the customer about how horrible the installation is going. Rarley is the equipment shipped what the customer needs. The equipment we pcik up sits in our warehouse for months. I have been forced to start charging warehousing fees after 30 days just to get them to pick up the equipment. A few months go by and very few of the people you dealt with are still there.

Dex does a great job on installs. Delivery to setup.
    I was part of the IT team. We made sure everything was correct and customer was happy.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

That is good to hear. We do installs for dealers and they do installs for us and they always go smoothly.

The problem I see when we do installs for the OEM is they are hundreds if not thousands of miles away sitting with a person at corporate deciding what one of their facilites needs without either of them ever setting foot in the door. The information we get is often passed down the line to the "Interritorial" department who then sends us an agreement to sign. I no longer sign off on anything without changing it to cover us for all the extra work that will arise. Like showing up with several mono machines that were supposed to be color, not being able to access their server or PCs to load drivers. This often has to be scheduled with some other company who normally has a 2 day respinse time. Believe me, we contact the end user prior to the install to get all this ironed out becasue we simply cannot trust what the OEM tells us. We still run into problems on every install that we never deal with when we are the seller/installer. Problem is it makes us look bad which I do not like.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Dec Imaging

The reality is that Konica Minolta was losing money heavily and was desperate to reduce both it's operational and manpower costs.

It definitely did not sell 10 branches because it wanted to.

I like to say "in the copier business that you cannot loose money forever because eventually forever shows up".

I think school boards and gov't buyers are all going to be in for a shock when it comes time to ask for new RFPs to replace their copiers. Their costs are going to rise.

The OEMs are not willing to loose money anymore just to move boxes, especially when the boxes themselves are in short supply.