Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    What's the scam?

What's the scam?

Every so often I get an email to my business page requesting pricing on a laundry list of items. Usually it's a plethora of HP cartridges. I got the email below today but apparently they forgot to add "the list". I realize it's clearly a scam but I'm just curious what the scam is? Do they provide fake payments? Reverse Credit card charges? What do they do? Anyone fall for it and willing to admit it?

"I hope I am at the right place for this. I am running a facility in Norway, could you get back to me with the pricing and the availability of the products, Just to let you know I would like them picked up from your store/warehouse after I pay for them and when they are ready. I look forward to your timely reply.

Regards."

Lee

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    What's the scam?

Re: What's the scam?

I have no idea why the end of that message turns green???

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    What's the scam?

Quote Originally Posted by wjurls View Post
    I have no idea why the end of that message turns green???
    Yes its a scam. Years ago we would get those emails and always requesting HP product

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What's the scam?

So you really think that someone from Norway is going to come all the way to Riverside, CA just to purchase products from you without going through an exporter. Wake up man, it is someone wanting to know the location of your warehouse and what you have in it so that they break in some dark night and take exactly what they want.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    What's the scam?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    So you really think that someone from Norway is going to come all the way to Riverside, CA just to purchase products from you without going through an exporter. Wake up man, it is someone wanting to know the location of your warehouse and what you have in it so that they break in some dark night and take exactly what they want.
    I'm pretty sure I made it clear in my original post that I know it's clearly a scam. I'm really not a gullible idiot. Not all Californians are morons (just most). I was just wondering what exactly IS the scam?? Just curious is all. Your explanation makes sense as to what they do.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What's the scam?

I'm pretty sure I made it clear in my original post that I know it's clearly a scam. I'm really not a gullible idiot. Not all Californians are morons (just most). I was just wondering what exactly IS the scam?? Just curious is all. Your explanation makes sense as to what they do.
    And I explained to you exactly what the scam is. If you cannot understand the explanation, that is your problem.

I cant pretend to know what their angle is, but here in Australia there are scammers who use Gumtree (online buy and sell site) to contact a seller, and organize to pay via paypal, and then pick up the items, once they have the items they then lodge a dispute with paypal claiming they didnt receive the goods. Since the seller cant provide tracking details etc paypal were reversing the transaction. Never happened to me, and dont know if its still a thing.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    What's the scam?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    And I explained to you exactly what the scam is. If you cannot understand the explanation, that is your problem.
    Not sure what your deal is dude. You come off all kinds of condescending to me in your first post which is why I responded the way I did. I even mention in my reply how your explanation indeed makes sense. You then come back and say that if I don't understand the explanation that it is my problem. WTF? Are you not actually reading anything? Or are you just an ass?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    What's the scam?

Quote Originally Posted by Techlife View Post
    I cant pretend to know what their angle is, but here in Australia there are scammers who use Gumtree (online buy and sell site) to contact a seller, and organize to pay via paypal, and then pick up the items, once they have the items they then lodge a dispute with paypal claiming they didnt receive the goods. Since the seller cant provide tracking details etc paypal were reversing the transaction. Never happened to me, and dont know if its still a thing.
    Thanks! That also makes sense.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What's the scam?

Not sure what your deal is dude. You come off all kinds of condescending to me in your first post which is why I responded the way I did. I even mention in my reply how your explanation indeed makes sense. You then come back and say that if I don't understand the explanation that it is my problem. WTF? Are you not actually reading anything? Or are you just an ass?
    Your reply to my first post was a wise ass reply. You need to learn to respect your elders.