Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copier Hoist

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Copier Hoist

Copier Hoist

Does anyone have any experience with this product: Copier Lifting Equipment – Make Lifting Simpler and Safer or something similar? We're looking for something that will allow us to install/remove copiers on stands/pedestals in our warehouse.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: Copier Hoist

Imagine those four straps with hooks….attached to forklift forks.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Deleted.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this product: Copier Lifting Equipment – Make Lifting Simpler and Safer or something similar? We're looking for something that will allow us to install/remove copiers on stands/pedestals in our warehouse.
    That's pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post

This is exactly what I've been thinking about doing for a few years now since none of us are getting any younger at our office. My design would basically be a square frame that has forklift channels underneath to prevent any movement on the forks. Then just attach adjustable straps to that to hook to the copier and lift it up. We'd probably use Rope Ratchets (which is already what we use for copier tie-downs for over 20 years) and just hook over the top of the frame into holes drilled at different spacings to accommodate the hooks.

I could just weld up the frame myself and it wouldn't even cost more than $100, I would think.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Copier Hoist

As shown in the video it is lifting a Ricoh with SPDF. Lift points on those are different height on each side. If you want to make your own, the hooks need to be the correct width for the hand lift points. Too wide and they won't fit. Too narrow and they could damage the side covers. Some 2' wide load tie downs come with the proper hooks already attached. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1616791949. Each strap need to be independently adjustable so you can put the hook in place and then take up the slack. Whatever attaches the straps to the frame needs to meet a couple of criteria:
    1. Must allow for easy adjustment to take out slack
    2. Must be able to hold the weight of the load
    3. Must not be easy to accidentally release by bumping into them

The old seat belt adjustment buckles pictured might not meet #3.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copier Hoist

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    One of our managers has a bad hip, and the ingenuity to invent this exact thing. It's some heavy duty truck straps that attach to the forklift forks. 100% successful, and cost him a few nuts washers & bolts to attach the hooks. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Do the same thing with a harbor freight winch from the ceiling, we use similar hooks

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    As shown in the video it is lifting a Ricoh with SPDF. Lift points on those are different height on each side. If you want to make your own, the hooks need to be the correct width for the hand lift points. Too wide and they won't fit. Too narrow and they could damage the side covers. Some 2' wide load tie downs come with the proper hooks already attached. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1616791949. Each strap need to be independently adjustable so you can put the hook in place and then take up the slack. Whatever attaches the straps to the frame needs to meet a couple of criteria:
    1. Must allow for easy adjustment to take out slack
    2. Must be able to hold the weight of the load
    3. Must not be easy to accidentally release by bumping into them

The old seat belt adjustment buckles pictured might not meet #3.

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    That's pretty cool!

This is exactly what I've been thinking about doing for a few years now since none of us are getting any younger at our office. My design would basically be a square frame that has forklift channels underneath to prevent any movement on the forks. Then just attach adjustable straps to that to hook to the copier and lift it up. We'd probably use Rope Ratchets (which is already what we use for copier tie-downs for over 20 years) and just hook over the top of the frame into holes drilled at different spacings to accommodate the hooks.

I could just weld up the frame myself and it wouldn't even cost more than $100, I would think.
    Aaannnnd, that's exactly what I did, minus the channels for the forks since they aren't needed. Co-irker got some scrap 1˝" square tubing (⅛" wall) and the hardware. I cut it up and welded it, drilled the holes and attached the hardware and then painted it.

Here it is in use for the test run and then all painted up.

Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copier Hoist

Nice MacGuyver! Ingenious. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Nice MacGuyver! Ingenious. =^..^=
    Thanks!

Believe it or not, back in the mid to late 80's when I worked at K-Mart while going to electronics school, that's what everybody called me, MacGuyver. Of course, that's when the show was on TV.