Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Service Agreement Question??

I have a client (church) and the office staff knows almost nothing about computers so when there's a problem with their network and they can't print, they call me because they don't want to pay anyone to fix the problem. I've gone a few rounds with this client alread and actually charged them for the last service call. Someone had been jacking around in the network closet and unplugged the printer. It took me 5-seconds to fix and I charged them for a service call to make a point - STOP CALLING ME WITH bullshit that has nothing to do with the copier.

Well, this morning I get a call because no one can print. Upon questioning, she said they changed service providers. Here's my question...where does your company draw the line?

Thanks in advance.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Re: Service Agreement Question??

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I have a client (church) and the office staff knows almost nothing about computers so when there's a problem with their network and they can't print, they call me because they don't want to pay anyone to fix the problem. I've gone a few rounds with this client alread and actually charged them for the last service call. Someone had been jacking around in the network closet and unplugged the printer. It took me 5-seconds to fix and I charged them for a service call to make a point - STOP CALLING ME WITH bullshit that has nothing to do with the copier.

Well, this morning I get a call because no one can print. Upon questioning, she said they changed service providers. Here's my question...where does your company draw the line?

Thanks in advance.
    Our contracts state that networking isn't covered in their contract so as a rule, we charge for anything network related that isn't a problem with the copier itself. Of course, the issue is we have to go out and prove the copier isn't the problem first, usually by connecting a laptop directly and making sure we can print from it. If we can, then it's up to the customer to let us know if we should proceed to try and fix their issue, but it's going to cost them. We charge quite a bit more for networking calls than a regular service call would be for those without a contract, just to get our money for the headache of networking issues on their end.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

It is stated on the MA which I understand someone would overlook but it is also one every MA invoice in brigh red highlighted in yellow.

"This is a Maintenance Agreement for the equipment listed above. It covers all parts, labor, supplies (except paperand staples), service calls and maintenance. It does not cover any remote or on site IT services by our staff related
    to scanning, printing or faxing unless it is an issue that is a result of a malfunction of the equipment listed above."

I allow one complaint per customer and void the invoice. I ask to talk to a person in charge who I let know that after today we will charge for these service calls. Most of the time people pay the bill and nver say a work. Doctors, lawyers and those who work every business for free service are the ones I get called by the most.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I like mloudy's idea of putting it on the contract in bold red/yellow lettering. Our company always attempts to fix the issue for free at first if it does not take too long. Our customer support will ask them is the copier on? Is the network cable plugged in? And, last but not least have you restarted/updated your computer? If the answer is yes, they let them know we will send out a tech and if he/she determines it is a networking issue there will be a charge for that service.
    A new router and your company has to reconfigure ip address of the copier- billable.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for all the input. My service agreement clearly states (not in red) that it doesn't cover network issues. But this church has worn me down. The pastor is a bit of a hothead and I try to avoid conflict unless they really push me.

I (once again) explained that network issues aren't covered and it would be chargeable. I thought it was settled only to get a phone call 10 minutes later and the girl asked me: "I thought labor was covered"?

It's frustrating and I need to come up with a plan to fix this situation.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Thanks for all the input. My service agreement clearly states (not in red) that it doesn't cover network issues. But this church has worn me down. The pastor is a bit of a hothead and I try to avoid conflict unless they really push me.

I (once again) explained that network issues aren't covered and it would be chargeable. I thought it was settled only to get a phone call 10 minutes later and the girl asked me: "I thought labor was covered"?

It's frustrating and I need to come up with a plan to fix this situation.
    Just make a copy of the contract with it enlarged where it says networking isn't covered, copied in RED. That should do it.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

If you have a way to put it on every MA invoice too that will give you a second place to tell them find it.

Fax line issues are another pain in the butt that customers think we should diagnose for free.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

That'll be an ongoing thing. It doesn't matter if you specify in the service agreement or not. Customers will assume that IT is free. I've had customers that KNEW it was an IT issue, and called us "cause it's free."

At one of the places I worked I had a paragraph put in: "If printing and scanning work crossovered to a laptop, then those functions are working. Additional IT services beyond that are billable." And it didn't make a bit of difference.

I had one customer call the owner of our company and complained that I REFUSED to fix their fax line (No dial tone). I don't even know how to respond to that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Wow charging a Church for 5 second service call guess that's how you roll in Mississippi.

I wonder how many new customers you just lost?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Wow charging a Church for 5 second service call guess that's how you roll in Mississippi.

I wonder how many new customers you just lost?
    Not needed, this is not Rants and Raves, please keep your personal/political opinions out of other forums. I am sure your company would charge for not machine related issues.