Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Future of copy repair

Re: Future of copy repair

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    From what I've seen, in practice, this great remote access technology is mainly used for resetting PM counters without actually changing the parts. Some techs use it to preview jam and error codes as preparation for a more effective first service call, but that's not the majority.

And if there isn't a specific jam or error code to view remotely, there will always be those customers that: "... don't have time to look at the screen! Just send somebody out here! That's what I'm paying for." Those customers will not tolerate the triage process.

I entirely understand the impetus of this thread. It's one of the reasons that I retired. It's just getting too hard to provide basic high quality service. Do you remember the day when there was a 90% chance that I was carrying the exact part I needed? I do, and it's been a very long time since that was the case. =^..^=

... I have spent a lot of time the last 30 days remotely dealing with scan to email issues. Not a single customer has complained and are grateful their issue is resolved remotely fairly quickly.

... the latest remote service technologies allows a technician to reach every aspect of the service menu remotely just like they were standing in front of the copier. Do not get me wrong, somebody still has to show up to change a worn out drum or replace a developer and this requires both skill and practice. Sometimes plastic gears break that can only be diagnosed when on site. Remote service does give the technician a sense of what he needs to bring with him when on site to complete the service call in one visit.

... TeamViewer, Windows Quick Assist and VNC connection has been a game changer in the copier repair business.

... every industry is dealing with a shortage of manpower but for sure a lot of old school copier techs are leaving the industry because either their body is telling them that they are done or their employer does not competitively compensate them.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... I have spent a lot of time the last 30 days remotely dealing with scan to email issues. Not a single customer has complained and are grateful their issue is resolved remotely fairly quickly.

... every industry is dealing with a shortage of manpower but for sure a lot of old school copier techs are leaving the industry because either their body is telling them that they are done or their employer does not competitively compensate them.

Yep. And some younger folk need to fall in behind us, because unless the platforms change radically, there will always be a need for someone who can turn a 5.5mm...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Future of copy repair

Seen big time changes in the industry last 2-3 years. Especially with the Covi, the ol usual run of the mil office standards have changed dramatically. Our base is a little bigger, but less calls overall. Equipment runs better, calls are just so much easier. No more rebuilding drums, fusers, clutch assemblies', ect, ect. Copy quality issues resolved immediately. Just a very different environment. Equipment technology/engineering so much better. Machines serviced and taken care properly, run better. God bless America this 4th Of July, 2022 This country needs it greatly.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Remote software and access is wonderful but is not a fix for the original issues described. Putting machines on a network has added a whole new area of problems that need addressed from time to time and that is where remote access is needed to keep a body from going on site. I have seen service records on 3 year leased machines and the only calls were network related and solved remotely, all billed. On contact these are the money makers and remote access is crucial.

I remotely resolve issues on a daily basis but I also know when a call comes in when if can't be fixed over the phone or over the internet. These make up the vast majority of the service calls coming in every day. Without the proper amount of field techs these calls back up quickly. The problem stated is inner city which I do not deal with. Can't image the stress of what the original poster is dealing with. Big city dealers for the most part have locked in pricing for a minimum of 5 years. Increasing pay to comp new techs for high rent may not be an option because these dealers are now paying higher prices for just about everything but have no way to pass that cost on to existing customers.

I prefer someone with no experience but I understand some dealerships need a tech that can quickly hit the ground running. Within two weeks I know if a person is able to be a tech mechanically. They ride along with different techs for two months then with me. Learn rebuilds in house, set ups, proper use of resources and then start the online testing. Sometimes you get a guy that can do the physical job but are not reliable or customers start to call in complaining of poor interactions. I have been blessed with the same core of techs for 20+ years but am now facing retirements too. Several others have come and gone over those years. Some left on their own and others we terminated.

Talking Re: Future of copy repair

In my opinion, educating the customer is always the best way to start. No, they won't always be able to grasp the problem or deal with an issue, but it gives them tools to help you understand the issue. I've been on both sides of this coin. Operator and Service Technician.

Given the knowledge, I would correct repetitive errors. Errors that would need parts, I would tell the techs to bring what they would need. Now, would the do that? Not always... Like the thread above states, travel to site, inspect, leave, order parts and then return. Wasted a lot of time, but who am I to say Mr. Tech? LOL

Anytime you can see the system remotely is always a good thing. I had issues that were simply driver tosses off the RIP server. Sometimes what the client WANTS to print, CAN'T print. Even looking at the source file itself might show as to WHY. Driver settings can lock up a system simply because you want 8 1/2" x 11". No, please don't do that, use DEFINED BY DRIVER in InDesign. Please? True Story. LOL

AND new personnel simply need to know there is a way to fix the problem and not necessarily the how. If they have a good understanding of the problem, then they can call the senior tech for answers.

OR post on copytechnet.com!

Future of copy repair

... Xerox has introduced Care-AR. Technicians wear a virtual reality headpiece that has a camera, microphone and data connection built in.

Enterprise AR | AR Remote Support | AR for Field Services

Remote AR Support for ServiceNow - YouTube

There are several OEMs experimenting with similar technology from alternate vendors but only Xerox has commercially made it happen.

The technician communicates visually in real time with a skilled call center attended to diagnose and repair equipment.

This is a premium service for high value customers with complicated equipment inside/outside the print industry.

It is not unusual for many OEM Help desks to ask technicians to take a picture of the problem on their mobile phones and send it to them.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Seems like there would be customers that would not allow that. Meaning someone walking in and straming live video and audio from their offices. We have clients that don't even allow techs to take a cell phone out of their pocket for security reasons. This is not a print industry customer but definately what I would consider high end.

Future of copy repair

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    Seems like there would be customers that would not allow that. Meaning someone walking in and straming live video and audio from their offices. We have clients that don't even allow techs to take a cell phone out of their pocket for security reasons. This is not a print industry customer but definately what I would consider high end.
    ... I think Care-AR would a welcome assist for high value, high revenue print production customers where every minute of unscheduled downtime costs money.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

The company I work for has Care AR licenses. You don't have to have a VR headset to do it. I can Care AR another tech and give them support from my phone or my laptop, and I can see through their phone camera. From my laptop I have more latitude if they have installed the free client app on their phone, as I can draw on the image and point out where I want them to aim the camera, or what I want them to adjust. I can snap pics in realtime for my call records, etc. I have used it both to support customers, our own techs, and third party techs in the field. Is it a be all, end all panacea? Not by any means, but it's a good tool to add to the arsenal.

Future of copy repair

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    The company I work for has Care AR licenses. You don't have to have a VR headset to do it. I can Care AR another tech and give them support from my phone or my laptop, and I can see through their phone camera. From my laptop I have more latitude if they have installed the free client app on their phone, as I can draw on the image and point out where I want them to aim the camera, or what I want them to adjust. I can snap pics in realtime for my call records, etc. I have used it both to support customers, our own techs, and third party techs in the field. Is it a be all, end all panacea? Not by any means, but it's a good tool to add to the arsenal.
    ... so Care-AR is good for helping copier rookies working on even low value print equipment? Once you buy a license it does matter what the equipment is.