Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Future of copy repair

Anyone else see this nightmare coming???

I have an aging service department, most of have been together over 20 years..all of us are late 50s early 60s..I can't find anyone to take a entry level position..Every applicant is either a IT pro looking for a desk job, or someone that has 0 experience in this field. I have no problem with no experience, that's what schools are for..The issue I'm facing is housing..no entry level tech can afford to live within 50 miles of my biggish city..it's one thing to drive 50 miles to sit in the office all day, it's another to drive 50, just to start driving for the rest of the day, and add that 50 miles back home..With gas near 4.50 and 1 bedrooms starting at 2000 and up, unless you are making 60-70K there just is no way you can even be close to your territory. So, my guys retire, I can't fill the spots and pretty soon I have 1/2 the techs covering twice the territory..this means everyone will be holding 20-30 calls with 3-4 day response times. How long will office customers put up with this and I can just imaging the response from a production customer..Hey, see you in 3 days, order the parts, then back in 3 days..It's not like copiers are going away soon!!! how do we deal with this?

Re: Future of copy repair

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Anyone else see this nightmare coming???

..this means everyone will be holding 20-30 calls with 3-4 day response times. How long will office customers put up with this and I can just imaging the response from a production customer..Hey, see you in 3 days, order the parts, then back in 3 days..It's not like copiers are going away soon!!! how do we deal with this?
    Sure way to burn out your remaining techs and loose customers. I hope you find someone soon. If you can't up your services charges...
    Yikes is that $2000 USD for a single bedroom. That is insane. That is like R35000 ZA I can get a 5 bedroom with double garage here for R20000.
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Future of copy repair

You are describing a 1970s attitude to copier repair where techs always drive to customer locations to fix even small problems.

It is imperative that you use every remote tool your OEM offers you to resolve copier issues at a distance via Windows Quick Assist or TeamViewer.

You have to get all copiers that are more than three generations old out of your territory. Either the customer upgrades to a new copier or say good bye to them.

Copiers older than this just makes remembering how to fix the problems fill up your brain with unnecessary clutter and complexity.

Long copier leases for distant copiers have to be discouraged so that the customer has trouble free new copiers that require much less service.

New copiers are much easier to service remotely and are more reliable with fewer parts and more customer replaceable modules.

You need to use couriers more to deliver toner or preferably have them direct shipped from your OEM.

Production customers suck up a lot of time and resources. If they are located more than 30 minutes from your place of business, time to let them go.

Your business owner and their sales teams have to be on the same page as to the limits of what you can service and not what they can sell.

Finding enough manpower is going to remain a persistent problem in the copier industry and you have to adjust your way of thinking to match the reality of the resources you have. Such as why do your techs have to drive to the office everyday to start their day. Why can't they start from where they reside and you send them the parts that they need.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 07-01-2022 at 05:14 PM.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

The days of the old school road warriors driving many miles to turn a screwdriver are behind us. Just because you've been "doing this for 30 years" doesn't mean there isn't a better way. In a lot of cases, they are doing it THE SAME WAY for 30 years.
    Having been in this industry for 2 decades, we all know Sales get the glory, and the majority of the compensation. Service is generally an afterthought and thought of as a necessary evil. Unfortunately, they are also compensated this way; if you don't think money talks you didn't understand the assignment. Experience is by far the most sought-after asset for techs in our industry and is becoming increasingly hard to find as we all age. New techs should learn from the veterans BEFORE being sent to any sort of school. If you send your techs to schools right off, they will get overwhelmed and most likely seek employment elsewhere.

For rookies, I generally follow this scenario:
    First, I have them physically build the machines. This teaches them the components, service modes, setups, etc. It also gets them familiar with simple shit like what an ADF is and how developer works. There is also no pressure on them with angry customers or dreaded test taking.

Next, service manuals and web portals. A great tech knows the service manuals and knows where to find the information they need, when they need it. They also know where to get additional info if the manual is not enough. We live in the information age, might as well utilize it.

After that, basic networking concepts and principles. How networks functions, what's an IP address, printing settings, SMTP, etc. A great tech not only know the machines but how to utilize all the wonderful bells and whistles new technology has to offer. This is by far the biggest mistake dealers make in my opinion, why have 2 techs when you can have one tech who knows both sides of modern devices. But dont forget, the more you know, the more you are worth. Good techs should get more money, period.

Up next, they do PMs for a few months. Gets them in the field independently, they do not have to troubleshoot, and it frees up your other techs to take break fix calls. It also builds their confidence and pride and gets them familiar with the territory and customers.

Next, ride alongs with senior techs. Learn troubleshooting and thinking on your feet. Not just one tech, but multiple senior guys if possible. Also gives them an opportunity to learn the most vital of all copier repair skills, how to deal with an asshole customer. The senior techs can also give feedback to management on what the rookies are doing well or areas in which they can improve.

Finally, just like children, you set them free in their territory. You can fill them with knowledge and give them all the resources in the world, but how they utilize it independently is up to them.

At this point, you know if you have a stud or a dud. This is when the decision for tech schools should be made in my opinion.
    Sales may get the accounts, but service keeps the accounts.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    You are describing a 1970s attitude to copier repair where techs always drive to customer locations to fix even small problems.

It is imperative that you use every remote tool your OEM offers you to resolve copier issues at a distance via Windows Quick Assist or TeamViewer.

You have to get all copiers that are more than three generations old out of your territory. Either the customer upgrades to a new copier or say good bye to them.

Copiers older than this just makes remembering how to fix the problems fill up your brain with unnecessary clutter and complexity.

Long copier leases for distant copiers have to be discouraged so that the customer has trouble free new copiers that require much less service.

New copiers are much easier to service remotely and are more reliable with fewer parts and more customer replaceable modules.

You need to use couriers more to deliver toner or preferably have them direct shipped from your OEM.

Production customers suck up a lot of time and resources. If they are located more than 30 minutes from your place of business, time to let them go.

Your business owner and their sales teams have to be on the same page as to the limits of what you can service and not what they can sell.

Finding enough manpower is going to remain a persistent problem in the copier industry and you have to adjust your way of thinking to match the reality of the resources you have. Such as why do your techs have to drive to the office everyday to start their day. Why can't they start from where they reside and you send them the parts that they need.
    There is no version of team viewer that can replace a worn fuser, and yes we currently have a call center that can triage service calls. They can and do handle the basic paper jam and can't print issue, but my guess is less than 10% of calls do not require a visit. We are not at the point where customers are replacing drums and IUs on office equipment..maybe on desktops. But my point is regardless on how efficient the team is you still need X bodies to cover X machines or X x X territory. If no one wants to do the job then businesses will drop you and then start to panic when they realize it's not just 1 service provider, but all of them that can't get a body out for 3 days. E

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Future of copy repair

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    There is no version of team viewer that can replace a worn fuser, and yes we currently have a call center that can triage service calls. They can and do handle the basic paper jam and can't print issue, but my guess is less than 10% of calls do not require a visit. We are not at the point where customers are replacing drums and IUs on office equipment..maybe on desktops. But my point is regardless on how efficient the team is you still need X bodies to cover X machines or X x X territory. If no one wants to do the job then businesses will drop you and then start to panic when they realize it's not just 1 service provider, but all of them that can't get a body out for 3 days. E
    I disagree, TeamViewer can spot a worn fuser via Remote diagnosis weeks in advance. Next time a tech is in the area he can put a replacement fuser in and avoid making an emergency call.

if you are at the point where it is taking your Service Dept three days to arrive onsite to perform a service call, your service levels are already dropping and you are setting up your Sales Dept to lose the repeat business they count upon to earn their income.

You really should not be taking on new customers and start getting rid of low profit customers until you improve this metric to the industry standard of four hours onsite or next day service. This is what customers expect and they certainly do notice when it is not delivered.

Your technical resources definitely now have a finite limit and you need to recognize that.

The best thing that happened to one of my dealers was when we lost a big school board and a big corporate customer. They had high demands, involved lots of long distance driving, were low profit (but lots of revenue) and did not appreciate any of the personal sacrifices the techs made to keep their equipment working. I do not think we ever want that kind of customer again.

Future of copy repair

Are you saying your company is struggling to reimburse that many miles, or young techs don't want to drive that much?

Young techs should not be afraid of driving. I pay my mortgage by staring out the windshield, listening to the radio.

Also, I get big city living is expensive, but if you have to go 50 MILES to find something affordable, that sucks.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    The days of the old school road warriors driving many miles to turn a screwdriver are behind us. Just because you've been "doing this for 30 years" doesn't mean there isn't a better way. In a lot of cases, they are doing it THE SAME WAY for 30 years.
    Having been in this industry for 2 decades, we all know Sales get the glory, and the majority of the compensation. Service is generally an afterthought and thought of as a necessary evil. Unfortunately, they are also compensated this way; if you don't think money talks you didn't understand the assignment. Experience is by far the most sought-after asset for techs in our industry and is becoming increasingly hard to find as we all age. New techs should learn from the veterans BEFORE being sent to any sort of school. If you send your techs to schools right off, they will get overwhelmed and most likely seek employment elsewhere.

For rookies, I generally follow this scenario:
    First, I have them physically build the machines. This teaches them the components, service modes, setups, etc. It also gets them familiar with simple shit like what an ADF is and how developer works. There is also no pressure on them with angry customers or dreaded test taking.

Next, service manuals and web portals. A great tech knows the service manuals and knows where to find the information they need, when they need it. They also know where to get additional info if the manual is not enough. We live in the information age, might as well utilize it.

After that, basic networking concepts and principles. How networks functions, what's an IP address, printing settings, SMTP, etc. A great tech not only know the machines but how to utilize all the wonderful bells and whistles new technology has to offer. This is by far the biggest mistake dealers make in my opinion, why have 2 techs when you can have one tech who knows both sides of modern devices. But dont forget, the more you know, the more you are worth. Good techs should get more money, period.

Up next, they do PMs for a few months. Gets them in the field independently, they do not have to troubleshoot, and it frees up your other techs to take break fix calls. It also builds their confidence and pride and gets them familiar with the territory and customers.

Next, ride alongs with senior techs. Learn troubleshooting and thinking on your feet. Not just one tech, but multiple senior guys if possible. Also gives them an opportunity to learn the most vital of all copier repair skills, how to deal with an asshole customer. The senior techs can also give feedback to management on what the rookies are doing well or areas in which they can improve.

Finally, just like children, you set them free in their territory. You can fill them with knowledge and give them all the resources in the world, but how they utilize it independently is up to them.

At this point, you know if you have a stud or a dud. This is when the decision for tech schools should be made in my opinion.
    Sales may get the accounts, but service keeps the accounts.

So this is by far the best and fair description of things for me
    We're struggling all to find good tech/prospect but experienced ones not getting deserved money
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Future of copy repair

From what I've seen, in practice, this great remote access technology is mainly used for resetting PM counters without actually changing the parts. Some techs use it to preview jam and error codes as preparation for a more effective first service call, but that's not the majority.

And if there isn't a specific jam or error code to view remotely, there will always be those customers that: "... don't have time to look at the screen! Just send somebody out here! That's what I'm paying for." Those customers will not tolerate the triage process.

I entirely understand the impetus of this thread. It's one of the reasons that I retired. It's just getting too hard to provide basic high quality service. Do you remember the day when there was a 90% chance that I was carrying the exact part I needed? I do, and it's been a very long time since that was the case. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

We are running into similar issues. The young techs we work with seem to have an "if I don't know how to do that, I'm not going to bother to learn because [insert tech name here] knows and he/she can do it." You try to walk them through something on the phone or on a parts machine before they go out and you get, "You just take the call since you already know how."

Frustrating for sure. Probably one of the reasons I have recruiters up my a$$ weekly, even though I'm just a handful of years from retiring. They still need us to go out and replace a developer housing, or an agitator motor, or [whatever], but there don't seem to be many of us old school techs left.