Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    FW updates, when do you do it?

Re: FW updates, when do you do it?

I always tried to keep the latest Ricoh firmware updates loaded on my laptop along with at least 3 previous versions and the latest firmware history. When downloading firmware I always use the repository server, RFG-esource, and not TSRC because TSRC did not always have the links to Custom and Special firmware. Many of those were updates to SMB scanning and SMTP email problems for older models no longer in production. Many were not always available outside the US as they were written by Ricoh-USA engineers. Some were written for specific customers and vertical markets and you had to fill out a request form specifying why you needed it and who the customer was. If an update was mandatory we would schedule we would schedule a visit to load the update. The rest of the time I would check the Firmware history top see what was corrected by that update to decide if that customer needed it To try to do updates as they came out just because they were there was ridiculous, especially when the 03 color models came out. There were multiple updated modules almost every day.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I always tried to keep the latest Ricoh firmware updates loaded on my laptop along with at least 3 previous versions and the latest firmware history. When downloading firmware I always use the repository server, RFG-esource, and not TSRC because TSRC did not always have the links to Custom and Special firmware. Many of those were updates to SMB scanning and SMTP email problems for older models no longer in production. Many were not always available outside the US as they were written by Ricoh-USA engineers. Some were written for specific customers and vertical markets and you had to fill out a request form specifying why you needed it and who the customer was. If an update was mandatory we would schedule we would schedule a visit to load the update. The rest of the time I would check the Firmware history top see what was corrected by that update to decide if that customer needed it To try to do updates as they came out just because they were there was ridiculous, especially when the 03 color models came out. There were multiple updated modules almost every day.
    At least Ricoh’s firmware history is “normally” complete (at least AFAIK).

One other major brand I used to work on conveniently managed not include all the issues that the firmware corrected.

I remember some of them being whoppers.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

All my service-contract customers are getting their firmware auto-updated 1 week after release. The none-service contract ones i send them an email that there is a newer version out and if they would like me to upgrade it

Senior Tech 250+ Posts avecosat's Avatar

Only when necessary and in second-hand machines when they leave the workshop I like that they have the latest FW version

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks to all the feedback! All good stuff.

I concluded that there needs to be a solid and concrete reason to update, this may be at the set up for some, or later on when you see fit for others. It really might depend on the customer needs and trouble that arises and the service department personnel to do so.

I am going to do a taboo thing and piggy back on this thread and ask where do you get HP firmware updates for old machines? I noticed its not there on the hp website support for older models anymore. O how I wish I saved the files over the years updating different HP models.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Thanks to all the feedback! All good stuff.

I concluded that there needs to be a solid and concrete reason to update, this may be at the set up for some, or later on when you see fit for others. It really might depend on the customer needs and trouble that arises and the service department personnel to do so.

I am going to do a taboo thing and piggy back on this thread and ask where do you get HP firmware updates for old machines? I noticed its not there on the hp website support for older models anymore. O how I wish I saved the files over the years updating different HP models.
    @copier tech may have them on hand

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I update the firmware when I go out to the machines for a service call. Better to be proactive. I've seen many times where techs are troubleshooting a problem and it turns out they just needed to update firmware. All that time and money wasted.
    Last edited by anothertech; 02-09-2023 at 01:09 AM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: FW updates, when do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Definitely not (except of security issues) since I learned already in the old days: "Never Touch a Running System"

Will never forget that I once gave the nice working EP-5400 (yes, I'm THAT old) in my BIL's office a good clean out of courtesy. I left a bricked machine with a blade flip and a damaged selenium drum.

Hans
    Hi Hansoon,
    The EP-5400 what I remember had a organic drum, your thinking of the EP-8600 Ep-8601, Ep-850, EP-550 POS. All Dogs in the U.S.
    I am probably your age, Ep-450 cadmium , I am independent, I don't upgrade as well, only when I.T. wants to proceed. Working on Canon and some Minolta's.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day,Teach a man to fish he eats for a Life time.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

It's nice not having to use brasso anymore to clean those toxic selenium drums

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adecanmin View Post
    It's nice not having to use brasso anymore to clean those toxic selenium drums
    But you use it any less?