Yes as a tech getting per km charge

Comment

• slimslob
        Retired
        Site Contributor
        25,000+ Posts
        • May 2013

Re: whats everyone get per kilometer or mile

For those in the US, check the IRS information concerning what you can claim on your tax return. For those in any other country check with your equivalent of the IRS.

If what your employer is paying is less you should be able to claim the difference. If what your employer is paying is more, you have to report the difference as income Keep accurate records.

Comment

• JR2ALTA
          Service Manager
          Site Contributor
          1,000+ Posts
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by slimslob
          For those in the US, check the IRS information concerning what you can claim on your tax return. For those in any other country check with your equivalent of the IRS.

If what your employer is paying is less you should be able to claim the difference. If what your employer is paying is more, you have to report the difference as income Keep accurate records.
          I was under the impression such itemized deductions were eliminated in the tax overhaul of 2017

Comment

• slimslob
            Retired
            Site Contributor
            25,000+ Posts
            • May 2013

Originally posted by JR2ALTA
            I was under the impression such itemized deductions were eliminated in the tax overhaul of 2017
            IRS issues standard mileage rates for 2023; business use increases 3 cents per mile | Internal Revenue Service

Comment

• JR2ALTA
              Service Manager
              Site Contributor
              1,000+ Posts
              • Feb 2010

• Beginning with tax year 2018, you can no longer deduct unreimbursed business expenses if you are an employee.

Federal Tax Laws on Mileage Reimbursement - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

I'll have to look into it. I think the IRS link you sent may be for business owners vs employees. Not sure, hope I haven't been screwing myself.

Comment

• slimslob
                Retired
                Site Contributor
                25,000+ Posts
                • May 2013

Originally posted by JR2ALTA
                Federal Tax Laws on Mileage Reimbursement - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

I'll have to look into it. I think the IRS link you sent may be for business owners vs employees. Not sure, hope I haven't been screwing myself.
                I retired in 2017. Those are the guidelines for what employer should be paying.

Comment

• SalesServiceGuy
                  Field Supervisor
                  Site Contributor
                  5,000+ Posts
                  • Dec 2009

You might get a monthly car allowance of around $450.00 plus a km charge of around $0.250. That really barely covers your costs and I often have to add extra km just to break even.

Or you might just receive a car allowance where you pay for everything.

If you are just paid a km charge, it should be at least $0.370 per km.

Both scenarios are calculated on your costs while driving your car during work hours and not to/from work. Often techs drive directly to their first call of the day from their home.

It is certainly important to maintain a weekly vehicle expense log for both Revenue Canada purposes and as a tool to show your employer your actual costs in any attempt to ask for more compensation.

Your total personal km should be recorded as not to exceed 16% of your total km to escape the attention of Revenue Canada.

You can claim up to $600.00 per year for parking without receipts.

Comment

• richs
                    Trusted Tech
                    100+ Posts
                    • Nov 2008

Well you said you are in Canada so you can check CRA for what they consider you should get per KM.It is 68c for the first 5000km I think and 63 c after.My nephew is getting 55c per km with seems ok.Sadly I dont even get close to that.If my car goes I think it might be time to retire .

Comment

Working...