Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Got given a manual show how to use a Hi Pot Earth ground tester to not kill myself and that was it. Its a carreer that you need to read and read and figure things out and always understand that its your fault. HAve to have an inquiring mind, not take much personally and have fun cause if its not fun then you are shot.

Good luck

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    How do you become a copy tech ?

Quote Originally Posted by ct copier repair View Post
    Got given a manual show how to use a Hi Pot Earth ground tester to not kill myself and that was it. Its a carreer that you need to read and read and figure things out and always understand that its your fault. HAve to have an inquiring mind, not take much personally and have fun cause if its not fun then you are shot.

Good luck
    i thought its engineer's fault?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    You will never get rich fixing copiers.
    I think most of us do it for the challenge.
    Tell that to the owner of my dealership who started 25 years ago fixing copiers out of his house. Now he's very well off with a company doing roughly $6,000,000 a year.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cccjjn View Post
    Tell that to the owner of my dealership who started 25 years ago fixing copiers out of his house. Now he's very well off with a company doing roughly $6,000,000 a year.
    How much of that do you see at the end of the week?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I started out in a Training Academy with a large dealer. I went from pretty much zero to an engineer in about 9 months. Although I had alot of experience with IT and Connectivity etc.

.... probably one of my more smarter moves in like ¬.¬
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (Oc'ed to 3GHz - Stock Volts)
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    4GB (2x 2GB) Corsair XMS Xpert II RAM
    ATi Radeon 4870 512MB GFX Card
    2x 74GB WD Raptor Sata HDD (RAID 0)
    500GB Seagate Barracuda Sata II HDD
    500GB Hitachi Sata II HDD
    600W500att OCZ PSU
    -TOTAL HDD SPACE 1148GB-

certified scrub 500+ Posts

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by gillje View Post
    I was wondering about what kind of training & classes you would take to become a copy tech ?

I'm a screenprinter, and in the past couple of years I've started working a lot with photocopiers and more recently duplicators... So while I don't have any technical training I am really interested in getting to know how these machines work. Where do I start? How did you become a copy tech? Let me know!

thanks!!
    meh

dont, j/k

be good with your hands, able to fit in big and small office(litterally *wink), computer literate.

Think outside the box, I dont mean unconventionally and out of context, but being resourceful.

And it goes deeper...

(what's with that angry smiley)

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cccjjn View Post
    Yes, there is good money in OWNING a dealership-much different than the one fixing the machines, however.

Technician

How I got to know Copiers and the Savin LTT

Fixed broken T.V.'s in high school as hobby, six Years in USN as a Machinist after becoming a PFC, worked as service manager at a Ford dealer, that was tough way to make money. But I learned just how to say right things and gauge people with a glance. Telling someone they need to leave their new car for 4th time to recheck the problem takes a skill, I was good at it, but lost lots of hair due to pressure. In slow economy of the early eighties Savin was hiring, my brother was a tech with them. Prior electronics got me started 2K higher than a rookie and complete training. Best job I have had, feels good not to have a boss on my A#s all day.
    Began my service company, past 26 years have been a flash, I love meeting new people, love solving problems...High profile or blue collar everyone has story to tell!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    It's good you have the DESIRE to become a copier technician, and that is the most important thing; DESIRE ! The next question to ask yourself is WHY you want to become a copier tech, once you have the answer, then the HOW will naturally fall in place.
    As already stated by other techs, BASIC ELECTRONICS is essentials. This will be accompanied with other subjects like ELECTRICAL PRINCIPLES, ELECTROMECHANICAL DEVICES & other related disciplines.
    The copying machines have now gone DIGITAL, therefore Computer knowledge,
    IT,& COMPUTER NETWORKING is Relevant. Remember this field is almost ACADEMIC, continuous reading in order to be in sync or abreast with the ever changing technology is a must. So prepare your mental horizon to accommodate this fact. Getting industry certification is advantageous. Align yourself with those already in the field, apprenticeship.
    Finally, who said that one cannot get rich through repairing photocopiers? Getting rich in my view has nothing to do with one's profession. Rather I think it is how one plans and uses his finances. It all boils down to financial literacy. We all have heard of & seen the " From rags to riches " individuals. Why not re-invest the money you get from repairs into other ventures to make yourself rich?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    You take a basic I.Q. test. If you score 100 or less.

You passed the test for being a copier tech.