Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Rubber rejuvenator? any suggestions

Re: Rubber rejuvenator? any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Depending on the type of feed rollers, sometimes I'll scrape/sand the old dried out rubber off in order to get down to some good rubber. That doesn't work on all rollers, tho.
    When I first started in the office equipment industry, the company I worked for was a full line office equipment dealer. They had a small lathe in the back that was used to de-glaze typewriter platens in conjunction with what was called grit cloth.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When I first started in the office equipment industry, the company I worked for was a full line office equipment dealer. They had a small lathe in the back that was used to de-glaze typewriter platens in conjunction with what was called grit cloth.

I've used that before, too.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I've used that before, too.
    We actually got it in letter size sheets. Better to use for typewriter platens.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Isopropyl alcohol is readily available in the US in solutions of anywhere from 50% to 91%. It is a common household antiseptic. I also will dry out many rollers and cause them to crack as it draws out the natural oils.
    prolonged use as with other solvents will indeed deteriorate anny rubber..i use it more as a quick temporary fix if nothing better is available at the time.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quick question: Do you view rubber rejuvenator as a temporary or permanent fix?
    There is no such thing as permanent, even new rollers are not permanent
    I know every machine in my field so not using rejuvenator often but doing PMs. That said it will do excellent job on few odd balls when we service equipment with unknown/lacking service history until we get proper parts.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I've used Cooper's belt cleaner on feed rollers for years, more as a preventative step, especially on ADF rollers. It helps some to just clean off the junk that collects and sticks to the rubber.

Simple physics tells you that friction will take away the tackier portion of the roller eventually, but cleaning with something made for rubber will at least help with annoyances like jams or non-feed issues.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    There is no such thing as permanent, even new rollers are not permanent
    I know every machine in my field so not using rejuvenator often but doing PMs. That said it will do excellent job on few odd balls when we service equipment with unknown/lacking service history until we get proper parts.

I need to clarify something. When I said "permanent", what I was asking is rubber rejuvenator being used as a stop-gap measure until the tech can return with new feed rollers or are you comfortable using it and letting it ride until the roller fails? That's what I was trying to ask.

It's been a long time since I've worked for someone else, but I used to be evaluated on the number of copies between service calls, so it really wasn't to my advantage to use rejuvenator. I just replaced the roller with a new one and went on about my day. And the company I worked for didn't want us to use it unless it was due to not having the roller in car stock.

EDIT: I guess most of you are using rejuvenator to clean rollers that still have good life left. I've seen techs use it on failed rollers and thinking it was gonna last. In my exeperience, that's not a good idea.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

What I think many may forget is that as the roller wears down, the circumference get smaller.

And that's the real reason that rollers lose their effectiveness.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Years Ricoh used to put a small bottle of water-less cleaner in their service tech maintenance kits. I was working on a copier once that was having a problem feeding from the bypass. It turned out that they very seldom used the bypass and the the roller had become embedded in dust. Cleaning with glass cleaner did not help but I noticed that had a bottle of the hand cleaner and decided to try it. Worked great. The grit in the hand cleaner was able to lift the embedded dust out of the surface.

Later Ricoh went to including a package with a single Scrubs hand cleaning towels. They also worked on most rollers except the 1M rollers.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I Use Roll-It from Nutone Densi (P/N: 09111)
    Btw, I actually use it more for cleaning registration rollers and vertical transports rollers, as well as DF transport rollers
    Lloyds.jpg